Old 02-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 332/see ticker/132

Height: 5' 3.5"

For myself, I don't do cheat days or meals. The closest I come is to allow myself to go 100 calories over my upper limit if I just REALLY really want something and I don't have enough calories left. Then I have a "talk" with myself and face that having the extra calories will possible mean less of a loss or no loss for the week, and really try to figure out if the spoonful of cashew butter (or whatever it is I am desiring) is worth slowing down for. Half the time I go for it, and the other half I realize that it's not worth it. I have been able to keep that up for 14 months now, and admittedly it is getting harder to turn down the extra. Writing this out just now makes me realize that I need to say no more often...
Pacifica Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 180.2/ticker/130

Height: 5'5

Have been reading this thread with great interest. Have been considering the Day off meal. I have pretty much settled into a good routine. Eating out is rare at a good restaurant and I want to enjoy it. I am going to give this a try Friday.
surfnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTs girl View Post
By the way, my choices were to eat McDonalds with everyone else or to bring something a little more healthy. So I chose Chipotle instead of my normal 2 cheeseburger, fries, and a coke. I also chose not to get the chips and salsa or soda. It is a work in progress but at least I am working on it.
I fell into the trap of thinking Chipotle was a healthier choice too. Until I went to the food calculator online where you can make your meal. A chicken fajita burrito is: 1140 calories. A two cheeseburger meal with fries and coke is 1190.

So they are about the same. I'm not trying to be a know it all - this is something that shocked me a few months back and I thought I would share.

I should also say, the burrito is less if you don't get "the works!"

Last edited by Shytowngal; 02-24-2011 at 02:34 AM.
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I never have an off-plan meal. That's because I can have anything I want, as long as it fits in my calories. So that means I plan, plan plan. If I'm going out, I save calories for it. If there is no nutritional information, I log it as best as I can and estimate very high (actually, I tend to lose a bit after I go out to eat, because I estimate too high). As I started losing weight, I thought to myself, wow, if I get to 180, that would be amazing, then I can have a day where I eat what I want and I won't care if the scale goes up...because at that point 180 was unthinkable for me. But as I got lower and lower, I realized that the feelings that come with being smaller are so amazing, that the extra food just isn't worth it. I don't know if I'll ever change, maybe when I get to maintenance I will allow an "uncounted" meal once in a while....but not yet.
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 236 / T(176*) / 145

Height: 5' 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shytowngal View Post
I fell into the trap of thinking Chipotle was a healthier choice too. Until I went to the food calculator online where you can make your meal. A chicken fajita burrito is: 1140 calories. A two cheeseburger meal with fries and coke is 1190.
Mmm, burritos... I love them so much. What food calculator did you find for burritos? I'd be interested to see how it compares to my estimates and nutritional info.
kaebaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #36  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaebaka View Post
Mmm, burritos... I love them so much. What food calculator did you find for burritos? I'd be interested to see how it compares to my estimates and nutritional info.
Here is the chipotle calculator. I think Chipotle is a little higher than other fast food mexican because of all the extra oil they use in food preparation:

http://www.chipotlefan.com/index.php...ion_calculator

Also voted worst mexican option in Men's Health (I was SO bummed when I learned this, I heart(ed) Chipotle. Now I make something just as good, but healthier at home:
http://www.menshealth.com/20worst/worstmexican.html

Last edited by Shytowngal; 02-24-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 197/175.6/145

Height: 5'7"

Quote:

So they are about the same. I'm not trying to be a know it all - this is something that shocked me a few months back and I thought I would share.

I should also say, the burrito is less if you don't get "the works!"
I understand what you are saying, but it wasn't just a calorie thing. It was my cheat meal for the week so the calories were not really the issue here. I know the calories would be about the same, however the content of the food is completely different. I still would say that Chipotle would be a healthier meal. Fresh veggies, chicken, salsa, a little cheese, sour cream all wrapped in a tortilla sounds way better then 2 burgers of "meat" on a bun with french fries that have been cooked in oil.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I have decided to keep my cheat meals. (i like the word cause it makes me feel like I am getting away with something ) lol. I have lost 10lbs in 5 weeks and if it is slowing down my weightloss so be it! I can live with 2 lbs a week if it keeps me from binging.
LTs girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:30 PM   #38  

CONGRATS on your weightloss, that is really great. Keep up the good work and def. keep the cheat days if you want. I think cheat meals are healthy and a good idea! I have one every now and again myself!!!

I'm sorry I'm being the here food police here. But, since this website is all about health, and dieting I do want to point out that Chipotle is not healthy. This is a misconception. I don't care if anyone eats it, go ahead! I just want people to be informed:

MCDonalds 2 Cheeseburgers/Medium Fry
Fat-34
Sodium-1770
Carbs-81

Chipotle Chicken burrito (with rice, beans, guac, sour cream, cheese)
Fat - 54
Sodium - 3400
Carbs - 132

Chipotle does have more protein and fiber though, so it's probably a wash.

Last edited by Shytowngal; 02-24-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 272 / 172.5 / 150

Height: 5'-9"

Quote:
CONGRATS on your weightloss, that is really great. Keep up the good work and def. keep the cheat days if you want. I think cheat meals are healthy and a good idea! I have one every now and again myself!!!

I'm sorry I'm being the here food police here. But, since this website is all about health, and dieting I do want to point out that Chipotle is not healthy. This is a misconception. I don't care if anyone eats it, go ahead! I just want people to be informed:

MCDonalds 2 Cheeseburgers/Medium Fry
Fat-34
Sodium-1770
Carbs-81

Chipotle Chicken burrito (with rice, beans, guac, sour cream, cheese)
Fat - 54
Sodium - 3400
Carbs - 132

Not that the MD's is good at all, but Chipotle is worse...
I think it all depends on what you get. Yes, the burrito you reference is not healthy (though the fat coming from the guac is good fat). But if you nix the guac, sour cream and cheese and add pico, it's now down to fat - 20, sodium - 1990 and carbs - 94. Make it a burrito bowl and it's fat - 11, sodium - 1320 and carbs - 50.

On a related note, I wondered what the comparison was to Qdoba. The chicken burrito w/ rice, pinto beans, guac, sour cream and cheese is fat - 46, sodium - 2340 and carbs - 125. So if it's an option, switching would be beneficial.
manders01 is offline   Reply With Quote