Old 12-21-2010, 02:54 AM   #1  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

Default not doing well

So about a month ago I was doing great - eating light - working out a ton - getting thinner. And then the program I was on for 20 days ended (it gave me meals and counted calories for me at 1200 - which I then added 150-500 more on top of). Now I was doing great before this program - had lost 37 pounds, and on this program I lost another 7.

But then it ended - and cheat meal upon cheat meal piled up, thanksgiving came, a new job that provides almost every meal arrived (and when I am not paid enough for new job, it's hard for me to justify bringing in my own lunch, when all the food at work is organic and fresh, but since I can't measure it.....and I got into the habit of eating more than usual because the previous program ended....and then to have to measure it in front of all the guys at work....)

Anyway - I think I've prob gained 3 pounds back - Now you may say this is not a lot. But when one gains 2-4 pounds in a couple of weeks, but can't usually lose that much in a couple of weeks - it's just depressing. But yet with winter darkness, and all the rain LA is giving us, I can't seem to really get my food back on track. Exercising is still happening, and I'm still really physically and cardio strong - that is the great news. But I can't stop eating to the point of no return. (Now mind you, I'm not going out and getting big macs or going over my calorie burn by more than 1000 calories - but I don't really know because my logging has gone off track - and I feel weird logging at work, as we work in a big building where everyone can see what you are working on if they wanted to.)

I have been dieting for just about a year. You can see my mini-goal transformation pictures. But I'm afraid I won't have a great 2 month updated picture coming up on Jan 7th.

Have any of you had these off periods - and what did you do to combat it?

I feel like there is some kind of psychological thing holding me back, like I'm so close that I am cheating myself to finish... (though I want to lose another 35 pounds or so - will that really take me another YEAR!!!). Food has always been my addiction and love, and I can't easily part with it (if I'm hungry I get hangry or just think about food in obsession). UGH what can I do?

I think I need more advice on what you did to turn around your dieting mishaps then telling me to eat less What got you thru it other than mini-goal presents and new clothes - cause yeah, I got me some of those already!

So, since I'm ranting, another weird thing, for a while I was feeling SOO skinny, because this is the thinnist I've probably every been (but still since I'm 175 I want to be like a normal person, even if I look 150 - I want to look 120 and be 140...). But lately I've been feeling so FAT and that I will NEVER reach my goal. (thoughts of why am I so fat cross my mind) Has this happened to you? Again how did you overcome it?

Thanks and sorry for the RUN ON sentences!!!
B
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:08 AM   #2  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

What kinds of foods are available at work? I count calories too, but I don't weigh and measure. There are good "rough guides" for portion sizes that you can use (like a portion of meat being the size of a deck of cards, etc.). You can look up those online for a good sense of portions. Also, I think you just get better at using your judgment for calories as you do it.

The holidays are time when it is easy to slowly lose motivation and let things creep a little bit, but I know you can lose what you gained and get back control!

My motivation is both clothes to wear (I always have a pair of pants that are currently slightly too tight that I try to lose my way into) as well as just hitting certain mini-goals.

You've done amazing and I know you can get back!
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/150/145

Height: 5'7"

Speaking of clothes that are "currently slightly too tight", I wear those clothes, and I can really feel it if I start to overstuff. Tightening the belt works. Not too tight, you don't want things in there to get in trouble.
4xcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #4  
MELTIN' MY BUTT-ER BUNS

S/C/G: 199.6/139.4/135-140

Height: 5' 4.5"

Hi,

First of all I'd like to say congrats, you've come a loooong way so far and you are looking to correct it after only a few pounds of weight gain instead of 30 pounds.

I think Matt has a good idea with figuring out approximates, e.g. a protein the size of a deck of cards is about 4 ounces. You could figure out basic calories for what you are eating, even if you do it after the fact (when you get home from work) Yes, yes I know then the damage is done, BUT . . . then you are armed with info for the next day and making better choices.

I get VERY hungry sometimes too. Then I look back at what I have eaten in that day and most of the time I realize I have not had enough protein. I believe I try for about 80g protein in a day. That may sound like a lot but if I have two eggs and 1 1/2 cups milk for breakfast that's about 25g -30g of protein. A 4 ounce piece of chicken is about 25-30g. I also find if I have enough protein in a day I am NOT hungry and I don't crave CHOCOLATE and I am a self-proclaimed chocoholic.

So maybe if you figure out what you ate for lunch (even after the fact) you can start to make better choices the next day. My philosophy is move more, eat less (and eat less actually means: make better choices, whole grains over processed flour, more fruits and veggies of course) then when I reach my goal weight I don't really have to "be on a diet" it will just be the way I eat on a daily basis

OK, this was WAY too long, but I hope it helps and keep it up, you are doing great.

a quick edit. for easy "on the go" snacks I use string cheese, a handful of nuts, an apple or pear. I don't care for my veggies for snacks, but that may work for you

diane

Last edited by MadamButterfly; 12-21-2010 at 09:31 AM.
MadamButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:29 PM   #5  

Height: 5'7

Actually I was in your shoes! I started the first time at almost your exact weight and lost down to about 168-170 and I felt skinny ( I was wearing a size 8 jeans and M/L tops). For me I was very comfortable at that weight and clothing size and now I am striving to get back to just that instead of my goal the first go around. My husband has also told me that he liked me at that weight as I was not skinny skinny and had a little meat on my bones....

But like you I feel off the wagon! I have gained like 30lbs back now and that still included 3x per week workouts which was down from 5x per week. I think what you have to realize to get yourself back on track is that it is harder to loose the second time around. I am not saying this to be a downer but its the truth. I have been struggling for months to get myself back on track to losing and have recently done it again finally after what seemed like forever.

As for the food problems start studying what portion sizes look like after you have measured them at home that way you can eyeball it at work or where ever you are and still be okay! Another thing I recommend you to do is to not get hung up on the number on the scale and instead go by how you feel and look. This can be just how your clothes are fitting. Honestly I think the number on the scale had a part in my falling off the wagon because I wasn't losing hardly any weight at all once I hit 170 and so I became discouraged.

Enough rambling! Sorry its so long just trying to share my experience and advice
eilla05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:25 AM   #6  
Bida Bida Bida

To Update - prob still not losing - hopefully not gaining either...will know on thursday when I weigh in again...but everything feels bigger. I am not sure if that is a state of mind or an actuality. I guess I should get some measurements taken! I would like to be able to keep a deficit of at least 700 cals up for the next two weeks before I go away. This is my goal. Today was only 400. I burned about 2600 and ate about 2200. Now to up taht tomorow...I need to figure out how to be happy on 500 calories! Soup for the week? ha!

And if my knee would stop hurting, this would all be better!!!

-B
Old 12-28-2010, 05:05 AM   #7  

Smile

Since your knees hurt, I would cut down on both the exercize and the calories. Give your knees a rest.
Try 1700 calories per day.

I eat 1500 - 1700 calories per day and do little exercize, as I have a knee injury. They can take a long time to heal.

I lose around 1 lb. per week.
JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #8  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

Height: 5'5"

I know exactly how you feel. I was down to 154 and wearing size 10 and almost an 8...then my wieght stalled for 8 months not a pound off I watched my calories, exercised 45min to an hour 6 days a week and then one day I just let myself slowly slip back into old eating habits and here I am no almost 8 months later and up 25 pounds...

I am doing the tight clothes thing only because I have nothing that is not tight (and these are my big clothes I vowed never to wear again).

I started back counting calories.....But how do you all stay motivated?

Boy I am ranting sorry ....
any advice would be great
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

My method of keeping motivated is this: I wrote down my real reasons for wanting to be in my weight goal range. Then I read the reasons every day. I also talk back when the little voice inside my head tries to convince me to eating something off diet. It took awhile to even notice what the message was, but after some practice I heard it and came up with responses.

These practices come from the Judith Beck books. She promotes changing the way you think in order to get yourself to act differently (like a thin person).
Woodland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:22 AM   #10  
Bida Bida Bida

9 months later - and at least I'm only up another 5-7 pounds... but again trying to get back on track

Need to stay consistent with logging and checking these forums for motivation.

Need to take your advice woodland. My little evil voice is WAY WAY too loud.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #11  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Years ago I attended a Thanksgiving dinner at my SIL's house. She knows she ins't the best cook in the world, so for me to write that isn't insulting--she also knows I love her to pieces. I was in the middle of a diet, of course. I sat there, with other relatives around, and yes indeed, I whipped out my handled measuring cups and measured stuffing, potatoes and gravy. I did that for myself and if anyone else had a problem with it...that was on them. - I'm not saying to do that, but you can eyeball stuff. A portion the size of your thumb is a tablespoon (hummus/peanut butter). A portion in your hand is a about 3/4 to a healthy 1/2 cup (popcorn/pretzels). I would guess with the free food there must be some spoons for things like salad dressing, and I would guess there are some veg involved, even if they are added to a sandwich that you could pick apart and make a "frankenstein" of a meal for yourself. No one would fault you for tossing 1 slice of bread into the trash, if you feel watched. Also, just put a lined piece of paper atop your desk and write down what you've eaten. Hide it under something else if you feel necessary, but just having it there to write down your food consumption is better than nothing. I'm assuming you're not tracking because you use an online app or phone app and feel its too obvious in your situation. You could write it down and track it later. It would keep you honest. You already know whats good to eat, what's bad, and portion control. It does sound like maybe you are experiencing some fear of success and are so close you can taste it, so you are sabatoging yourself a little bit. Ya think maybe?

You have a lot of "reasons" for whats happening now....a new job, free food, a prior diet ending, etc. There are plenty of places to look up calories and log your daily intake, and there are daily menu programs as well. Get prepared again, and stay prepared to the best of your ability. Don't let a few pounds wallop into 10, 20, 30 and back to square 1. You don't want to let that happen, and we don't want that to happen to you.

You already know what to do...so don't get lost in your new surroundings and job and do go about finding a replacement app or location or program (even a free one) to put you back and keep you on track.

Lastly, good luck in the new job and with your struggles. You can do this...you have and you can! Hugs, Donna
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #12  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

Height: 5'6"

Hello!

Though I started out heavier than you, we actually have pretty similar "stats" (both in the 170's want to lose about 30 or so more lbs.) I've also recently gained a couple of lbs, but I actually kind of planned for it. I decided to take the summer off from active losing and just maintain. I was always within a lb or two of my pre-summer weight for my "spot check" weigh ins. Ended the summer about 2 lbs heavier, but considering everything (and all the fun I had over the summer), I'm actually OK with that. So though you didn't plan to gain a few lbs, you can just think of it as an "unplanned" maintenance break!

Starting labor day, I've re-committed to getting back to "active" losing. I'm down about 1.5 lbs so far. I've decided I'm ok with a slow, steady loss (1 lb/week or so is OK.) So if it takes me 30 weeks or so to get to goal, then it takes 30 weeks. I'd rather eat 1600 calories a day, cheat a little here and there and take a little longer to get to goal then to starve on 1200 cals/day, never allow any indulgences and just generally hate life until I get there. Of course this is my decision, and you may have different goals in mind.

I've also found (for me) that setting realistic goals and NOT beating yourself up for minor slip-ups works better. Right now I strictly count calories 5 days a week. The other two days (usually Friday and Saturday), I eat reasonably, but don't obsess over every calorie (i.e., I don't log). It's just a nice mental break. And since I was pretty successful at maintaining (I didn't count calories at all over the summer), I *know* when I'm starting to overeat and try to check myself when that happens.

I'm also slowly getting back into my exercise routine. I'm shooting for 5 days a week, but am falling a bit short in reality at about 3-4. Definitely something I need to work on, but again, not going to beat myself up. 3-4 is still much better than zero! I'll get there.

Sorry, not sure if my ramblings about myself are of any help to you. But sometimes it's helpful to hear other people's experiences and perspectives and take from it what might work for you. At the very least, know you are NOT alone!!

Last edited by NorthernExposure; 09-18-2011 at 12:12 PM.
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #13  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

Height: 5'6"

Just another thought...I've found that participating in some of the challenges here on 3FC is very motivating and helps to keep me accountable. Right now the CCers are hosting a Halloween challenge. Anyone can join and you set your own goals. (My goals are get to 174, track and stick to a 1600 calorie budget 5 days per week and exercise 5 days per week.) From there, you check in periodically (every day, a few days a week, whatever works for you) and you share ups and downs with other CCers. It's really a great group of ladies

I've also participated in some of the "decade" threads (i.e, getting out of the 170s) as a way to interact with others in the same boat as you and again, to share experiences, encourage each other, and stay accountable.

I really think this website has a been a key to my success this time around. I've tried and failed so many diets in the past, and I think my failure was largely attributable to feeling alone in my struggles.

Good luck to you, you CAN do this!!

Last edited by NorthernExposure; 09-18-2011 at 12:34 PM.
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #14  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

@Northern Exposure - first, congrats on the weight loss. Secondly, I loved readying what you had to say. You've got a fantastic attitude there and I can definitely learn from it. I also like that you're not committing to 1200 and feeling deprived because you know even at a higher intake you have a built-in bit of room for some indulgence. I'm hoping at some point in my life to just be able to "live maintenance" but first I gotta learn the road to getting there in order to learn how to stay there. I'm still experimenting so I'll be playing with my daily quota as I go from week to week. Your experience was very inspiring. Donna
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

You mentioned the darkness at this time of year. If it's a pattern for you to feel depressed and gain weight in the winter, you might want to look into whether you have Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), or its milder form which is known as the "winter blues". If that's the case, bright light therapy and/or antidepressants can work wonders.

Logging at work - do you have a smartphone, and if so could you use that for the logging? If not, how about a small notepad where you could jot down your lunches and then log them properly on the computer at home later?
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote