Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 04:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

Default Tomorrows dinner out. Help!!!!

Im going on a date tomorrow to the restaurant below. Please read and let me know what my healthiest option would be Thanks. its a pdf of the menu. The 2nd link is the restaurant website and once ur there u click menus

http://www.bogartsofboca.com/pdf/Bogarts_dinner.pdf

http://www.bogartsofboca.com
Old 07-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I'd go with any of the following:
split pea soup
boca plate with any of the meat choices except the steak
mixed green salad
lemon roasted chicken
simply prepared fish of the day.
Have fun!
Old 07-23-2010, 04:29 PM   #3  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I asked the woman at the gym a while ago about what to eat at a resturant that didn't provide nutritional info. Things she said to watch out for: Large buns/rolls, anything with a dressing on it, cheese, and bacon.

The dinners under the "Spa Collection" don't look bad. Load up on veggies (but ask them to steam them WITHOUT butter... I had steamed veggies at the place I went to and they were the GREASIEST stemed veggies I ever ate).

Skip the rolls/bread at the beginning.

Eat half (or less) of your meal.

And remember - it is about enjoying the company you are with - not about over eating!
Old 07-23-2010, 10:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

That place is tough, I'd probably get a 1/2 order or the Balsalmic chicken salad, dressing on side, no cheese and pick off half the crispy onions.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:57 AM   #5  
banned

S/C/G: 222/136/?

Height: 5'10

Its a date. Haven't you ever heard of taking a break and eating what you want? Is it really worth worrying about a few hundred extra calories and then eating something you really didn't want to eat but chose that option only because of nutrtion?

Personally I'd go for the DIJON CRUSTED CHICKEN “MILANO”.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:03 AM   #6  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Well, up until a few weeks ago I would have agreed with benchmarkman. But then I started reading more and more of the nutritional information from restaurants.

The thing is, it can be horrible. Something that sounds rather healthy can be ridiculously caloric (Grilled fish tacos? 1000+ calories at Austin Grill).

So now I feel, if I want to go out to dinner, and have a glass or two of wine, and share an appetizer, and have my own entree, and share a dessert, it really does help to make smart choices.

That doesn't mean you have to walk in and ask for a glass of ice water and grilled dry fish with plain steamed broccoli and immediately put half of it into a to-go box.

But things like maple dijon cream sauce? Just not worth it to me anymore unless it's a very rare opportunity at a very special restaurant. Or unless I know it's going to be fabulous. How many times have you gotten something fattening and it hasn't really been so good that it's worth it? Is a bad enchilada better than a good grilled chicken breast?

So I like what others have said... I'd personally go with gazpacho, either the roasted chicken or the boca plate with chicken, mahi mahi or tuna, or the simply prepared fish. I'd go easy on the rice.

And I'd share a dessert.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #7  
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesame7lbs View Post
Well, up until a few weeks ago I would have agreed with benchmarkman. But then I started reading more and more of the nutritional information from restaurants.

The thing is, it can be horrible. Something that sounds rather healthy can be ridiculously caloric (Grilled fish tacos? 1000+ calories at Austin Grill).

So now I feel, if I want to go out to dinner, and have a glass or two of wine, and share an appetizer, and have my own entree, and share a dessert, it really does help to make smart choices.

That doesn't mean you have to walk in and ask for a glass of ice water and grilled dry fish with plain steamed broccoli and immediately put half of it into a to-go box.

But things like maple dijon cream sauce? Just not worth it to me anymore unless it's a very rare opportunity at a very special restaurant. Or unless I know it's going to be fabulous. How many times have you gotten something fattening and it hasn't really been so good that it's worth it? Is a bad enchilada better than a good grilled chicken breast?

So I like what others have said... I'd personally go with gazpacho, either the roasted chicken or the boca plate with chicken, mahi mahi or tuna, or the simply prepared fish. I'd go easy on the rice.

And I'd share a dessert.
But how often are you going to get the chance to try the dijon cream sauce? If you don't try it you'll never know if it was worth it or not, unless you can get a review from another "trusted" source. As a maintainer for 7 years after losing 80lbs I've come to realize that you only live once in the long run its not worth fretting over an extra few hundred calories. Just hit the gym for a couple of extra minute the next day
Old 07-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #8  

im not much of a cream sauce person. Im probably gonna get the lemon chicken. thanks ladies!
Old 07-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

It's a date. Don't be picking things off your food or being "on the side" with everything.

The curry shrimp noodles and wasabi seared tuna look good!

Have fun, and hope the date is good!
Old 07-24-2010, 05:32 PM   #10  
No description available.

Unfortunately, some restaurant food is far more calorie laden than with a few hundred extra calories. Could very well be 1000 over what one had planned for the day.

As it is, there will always be dates, holidays, work meetings, etc., and I think that one of the benefits of the calorie counting forum is the ability to seek out input on menu choices. It would be nice if all menus offered nutritional info, but they don't, so the collective wisdom here at 3FC can be very useful.

If I ate whatever cream sauce-laden dish that was on the menu with every special occasion, date, holiday, eating out with the in-laws, etc., I'd be....well, fat again. So we're all different.

Last edited by midwife; 07-24-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #11  

true! that's why i dont eat that when i go out. I think i may have the french onion soup and half a salad. I havent had that soup in forever and its my fav
Old 07-24-2010, 07:26 PM   #12  
it's always something

I love that you asked what was healthiest on the menu. You didn't ask what sounded good no matter how many calories it has, like one member seemed to think You wanted something healthy and it sounds like you'll get it I hope your date will be just as nice!
Old 07-25-2010, 01:29 AM   #13  

i cant think about what sounded good or id eat something with thousands of cals. i didnt wind up going but would of been nice lol
Old 07-25-2010, 07:06 AM   #14  
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
Unfortunately, some restaurant food is far more calorie laden than with a few hundred extra calories. Could very well be 1000 over what one had planned for the day.

As it is, there will always be dates, holidays, work meetings, etc., and I think that one of the benefits of the calorie counting forum is the ability to seek out input on menu choices. It would be nice if all menus offered nutritional info, but they don't, so the collective wisdom here at 3FC can be very useful.

If I ate whatever cream sauce-laden dish that was on the menu with every special occasion, date, holiday, eating out with the in-laws, etc., I'd be....well, fat again. So we're all different.
1000 calories not even a 1/3 of a lbs. Life is more than dieting, there is the experience too. I didn't say be glutenous but you have to go out and experience the world and not worry about every calorie you put in your mouth.

Last edited by benchmarkman; 07-25-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #15  
No description available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarkman View Post
1000 calories not even a 1/3 of a lbs. Life is more than dieting, there is the experience too. I didn't say be glutenous but you have to go out and experience the world and not worry about every calorie you put in your mouth.
When someone comes asking about how to choose the healthiest option from a menu, she is seeking advice about the healthiest option on the menu. If she wanted to eat whatever she wanted, she could have done that without seeking support and information.

We can all decide when to splurge and go off plan, but that is not what the OP was asking.

Last edited by midwife; 07-25-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Closed Thread