3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Calorie Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters-172/)
-   -   A Question from a Newbie Calorie Counter.. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters/195804-question-newbie-calorie-counter.html)

hiswifeylee09 03-02-2010 10:50 PM

A Question from a Newbie Calorie Counter..

This might be a stupid question, but are you guys JUST counting calories, and not sugar, fat, etc?

I'm a 5'8, 170 pound 22 year old looking to get back at 140!!

Thank you!:)

ncuneo 03-02-2010 11:01 PM

I personally just count cals, but I try to make smart food choices and I make a conscience effort to eat a balanced diet.

Lori259 03-02-2010 11:11 PM

I just count the calories www.freedieting.com has great calorie counting caculators & Other great helpful stuff if ya wanna check it out sometime. It helped me out alot in the begginning of me counting calories.

GOODLUCK!! & If ya ever have a question...or need a friend message me I am online most days

Shmead 03-03-2010 06:35 AM

I try to keep my protein around 40% and eat 30+ grams of fiber a day. I feel better and less hungry when I do this, but if I don't watch it I will drift back to about 90% carb. I love carbs.

MakingSkinny 03-03-2010 08:56 AM

I only seriously count calories and calories are the only thing I keep track of in my daily notebook.

I do pay attention to the amount of fat, and choose lower fat options whenever I can. I also have PCOS, so I'm always aware of the carbs I'm eating. I try to avoid refined carbs (white flour, white sugar, etc) as much as possible, so that the majority of the carbs I'm eating are good, nutritious carbs. Usually going with the healthier carb options will also give a higher fiber content, also (whole grain breads, veggies, etc).

nelie 03-03-2010 09:28 AM

I count calories but I also follow a whole foods type diet where I eat lots of veggies, fruit, legumes and try to limit processed foods. I also try to keep my fats fairly low. I think it is really dependent on what works for you. You may find that reducing sugar/fat useful for you in maintaining your caloric deficit.

midwife 03-03-2010 10:57 AM

I find that what I eat is just as important as how much I eat. Certain foods make me hungrier and other foods satiate me. High fiber carbs, lean protein, and healthy fat-containing foods seem to be the best combination for me.

hiswifeylee09 03-03-2010 11:09 AM

Thank all you guys for the replies..I think I will just count calories for now but still make sure I'm not eating junk. Thanks again!

stella1609 03-03-2010 11:37 AM

I just count calories, but I also try to make smart choices. I discovered it was really hard to drink 2-3 sodas a day and stay under my calorie count without being hungry all the time, but when I replaced empty calories with yummy whole grains and lots of veggies, I was never hungry.

mandalinn82 03-03-2010 11:46 AM

For me, I started with counting calories, and it eventually shifted to a very healthy diet naturally, mostly because I'd be starving if I ate junk, and I can stay very satisfied when eating a lower calorie amount of high quality food.

diornotwar 03-03-2010 05:02 PM

it was trial and error for me. i only calorie count but i know what fills me up, & what doesn't!

NorthernExposure 03-03-2010 07:15 PM

Calories are the only thing I really count religiously, but I try to limit "white" carbs, unhealthy fats and added sugar as much as I can. (I do, however, allow myself a small piece of chocolate every day!) I don't actually count fat grams or carbs though.

eclipse 03-03-2010 07:32 PM

I, too, only count calories, but try to make overall healthy choices. The only attention I pay to fat grams is to try to eat more of it, because I just don't get enough in most days. I feel much better, fuller, have better skin, and even lose more weight, when I'm eating plenty of fat.

three herring 03-15-2010 01:21 PM

I use a nutritional software, so it tracks everything in micro detail. I only watch the calories and keep a secondary eye on the carbs. Periodically I pull reports and look at the vitamins and whatever I seem to lack. I do take a mulitvitamin and extra calcium & fiber, but that is because I do not have access to the fresh foods as much as I would like to have.

I look for overall balance on a monthly basis, but daily, I go with what works.

angelskeep 03-16-2010 03:37 PM

I count calories and fat, although I am usually pretty far under my daily fat. And I try to eat healthy nutritious foods, but allow a planned less nutritious snack periodically. I probably should eat a little less fruit and more vrg, but I am good at sneaking the veg into stuff too. We d0n't eat much red meat anymore, just enough to satisfy occasionally.

Tonight's dinner is roasted chicken breast, white meat only, no skin, 6 oz. split onto 2 hamburger buns (not the best choice, but cheap), salad with spinach, cucumber, green onion, and low fat salad dressing. Probably a pear for dessert. I've been on a pear kick. Normally we would have beans, quinoa, bulgur, or such, with some veggies added in and not the buns.

Barb