Old 02-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default Tough week ahead - need some help planning for it

So I've got all of the following temptations coming up this weekend into next week.

Saturday - Bagels and Starbucks with the girls and dinner out at a steakhouse with DH

Monday - Family in town for a Carne Asada BBQ

Thursday - Concert in the city/Dinner out

So Bagles and coffee I think I can fit it, I'm clueless what to do about the dinner at the steakhouse. Dessert and martinis are always really hard to pass up. If this was the only meal I'd just go for and not stress about it, but with TOM hours away and the family in town and concert on Thursday I want to try to do better.

Monday I've manage to get the BBQ at my house so I can through some chicken on the grill for myself so that day is under control. I just have to pass on the chips and margaritas.

Thursday I'm also clueless because I'm not sure where we are going, I think we are going to Roy's and their 1988 martini is to die for as well as the lobster pot stickers! I'm zig zaging so I'm going to move one of my high days to Thursday to help, but I'm not sure if it's going to do.

Obviously I'll just have to do my best and not stress out about it, even if I slip up. Oh this is hard sometimes. I've been so motivated lately and my tempatations have been really under control and I really want to stay focus, but I know it's going to be hard. The only other thing I can think of is to really hit the exercise HARD next week. There is not a lot of time though. Wish me luck!

Last edited by ncuneo; 02-26-2010 at 06:27 PM.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Wow, you're the one should give ME advice! You've lost so much weight! WOW!

Obviously, by now, you know what it takes, but I can understand why it would be so tempting in these social situations. Studies show that we eat so much more with others...I don't remember the exact percentage.

First, make sure you're not starving! Also, make friends with gum. It helps keep your mouth busy.

I can only suggest the steak restaurant. I would make sure that they prepare the steak without any butter. I was shocked when I found out that steak is often times prepared with butter! No wonder it tastes so yummy! Get a small piece of something lean. Someone here suggested something with the word Loin in it....but if it's a steak restaurant, the waiter might know. Also, if you can get some steamed broccoli on the side and a baked potato with nothing on it, that will fill you up quite a bit and you won't need to eat so much of the red meat. Make a decision in advance to avoid the bread basket.

I hope you get some more advice on the other occasions. I'm sure you'll do great!!!! Just the fact that you're planning this out and thinking about it is a huge deal. Way to go!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/159/135

Height: 5'4"

Looks like you have some decisions to make. Since you calorie count, I imagine amount will play in your decision. You know what you have to do and I trust that you will make all the right decisions for your body.

Sharon

P.S. I love a good martini too

artic123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 203 / 171 / 133

Height: 64"

The only advice I ever give in situations like this is something you already mentioned -- hit the exercise hard! Although I've stalled out for a while, I work out like a crazy woman and I eat pretty much anything I want. Burn off 750 calories exercising and I wouldn't worry about a decent small steak with a couple of decent side dishes. But, umm, I don't drink and the calories are one of the reasons. Plus, the alcohol makes me think I can handle a dessert and it'll be OK.
RMatS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:40 PM   #5  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

Height: 5'6"

My steakhouse strategy is to get a really GOOD, (but small and expensive) piece of meat, like the petite fillet. I savor it's yumminess and actually enjoy it more than if I had gotten a larger, lesser piece of meat.

I can't do plain baked potatoes, so I usually opt for the rice pilaf. Here in MN it often comes in a wild rice blend, so it's a good way to get in a healthy, whole grain type carb without all the extra fat (butter/sour cream) that I would put on a potato.

Of course, steamed veggies always get the green light.

Oh, shrimp cocktail is a great appetizer choice! May not be as indulgent as something like a bloomin' onion, but it's much better than watching everyone else eat while you sip your diet coke.

Good for you with your weight loss! You're doing great.

Last edited by NorthernExposure; 02-27-2010 at 01:41 PM.
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 84.7 kg/66.5kg/66.5kg

Height: 5'6''

do you really need a bagel from starbucks? it's your choice to make, but think about it.. you can grab a piece of fruit before you leave your home in the morning instead! also, usually in starbucks i opt for a small skinny latte or even better an americano,plain.
grrrkgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #7  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I did get the bagel at the bagel shop w/ low fat CC (I scrapped most of it off) but went with just an iced coffee at Starbucks with 1/2C (eyeballed) of 2% milk. So all that ran me about 490. I plan to eat low the rest of the day and figure I should have about 975 to spare for dinner at the steakhouse (today is a high cal day for my zig zag anyway). I ran really hard yesterday (TOM and all!) and I think I may lower my cals the rest of the week to make up for what's coming Thursday. I'm usually around 1650 on my medium cal days so if I can lower those to 1400-1450 I can pick up a few cals to even out the week. I'm just a little worried though that if I exercise harder I might be hungry and need them...oh well...we do the best we can. Thanks for all the advice! Please keep it coming. Although I have lost 90 lbs I'm still new to CC (I was restricting cals before, but not counting so it was easier to be naive to what I was doing when I was eating off plan). Now I'm tracking EVERYTHINK and I want to always be on plan even when I'm not eating the best food choices. I just feel like I want this to be a complete lifestyle change and the the way I'm going to be able to keep it off for good!

Oh and even with TOM starting yesterday I was down to 175.6 this morning (a new personaly low!) Guess it maybe time to update my ticker!

I also forgot to add that today is my exercise rest day but I walked/pushed the stroller for 1 hr and 45 mins and hope to do a little yoga while DS is napping this afternooon.

Last edited by ncuneo; 02-27-2010 at 03:06 PM.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 180 / 137 (regained) / 100

Height: 5'2"

Sounds like you're going to do amazingly well
I think you really hit the nail on the head with forming a plan for the week (planning around everything that's going on Thursday). THAT is what is going to get you through any tough times that are going to be ahead. Make a plan, stick to the plan, and if something happens where you absolutely can't stick to your plan, make a new plan right away, and possibly have a contingency plan or two set in place ahead of time in case your original plan doesn't quite work.

I wouldn't stress out about whether your plan is 100% perfect, or whether your body is going to respond how you want it to. Just applaud yourself for making some healthy (or at least healthier, in some cases) decisions and doing your best to stick with it. Doin great!
teff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Howdy,
I regularly have food challenges, last week was one. i have found the most important thing is to plan it out. What foods/calories are important to me and what aren't with my 1,300 cal limit per day. Since the scenarios are different, I need to think these situations through ahead of time. Going online to check menus, having menus faxed over (did that last week with the Gunter Hotel and talked to management about this deficiency), calling ahead all take the pressure off of the moment, and help me to have a fabulous time at the event. And not carry the event into the following week with excess pounds. I never borrow calories from the next day. I either have it in the "bank" to spend or I don't.

Best wishes.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:45 PM   #10  
No description available.

Great job planning ahead and looking at all the choices in context with each other. The only other thing I'd add (which you probably already know!) is keep in mind that restaurant food can have a lot of salt. So if the scale bops up, keep that in mind.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote