Old 02-05-2010, 01:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 310/ticker/155

Height: 5'8

Unhappy Help! Why am I not losing weight?!

Ok, so I'm trying the whole "5 small meals a day" diet plan, and to be honest I am not having success on it. I lost 5 pounds just by staying under 1500 calories and then when i switched to the 5 small meals plan it seems that i have stopped losing weight. I haven't lost any weight for the past week! I have even exercised more than did before but no avail. Here's what I'm doing: staying under 1500 calories for the entire day. It takes 2600 for my body to maintain it's weight so starvation mode would put that at about 1300 calories. So it's not like my body is going into starvation mode and I'm eating too little. I don't get it! Why would by body all of a sudden stop losing weight? I haven't been dieting that long, so I find it hard to believe that I am already on a plateau? What am I doing wrong? Any thoughts or suggestions? I am really getting discouraged here....
farn00a57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/150

Height: 5'11"

If you've upped your exercise you may be retaining water, if you're close to TOM, you may be retaining water, you don't like the color of your car you may be retaining water.

Unfortunately, there's not any way to know why your weight loss has slowed down. Mine is on a monthly cycle. For about 2 weeks out of the month, I can lose weight easily. The other two weeks I can't and I just have to wait out those two weeks and make sure I'm not gaining. If you're not gaining weight you're doing ok and probably need to give it some more time.

Your body doesn't go into 'starvation mode'... IMO that's a myth. Your metabolism does slow down as you eat less calories, but there's no switch that says starvation mode at 1300. According to me, anyway, and I'm no expert.

My inexpert advice is to wait it out. I keep an excell graph of my morning weight and it's amazing to see the pattern. I can see Christmas on there, I can see TOM on there, I can see everything on the graph. Give it some time. It'll even out, especially if you had a good couple of weeks your body needs to adjust.

Don't change your calories, but I NEVER eat after 6:00 (except special dinner occasions... you know...) and only water or decaf. That's just my plan. You'll know what works for you.

Good luck!! You're doing great!

Last edited by cherbear; 02-05-2010 at 02:05 PM.
cherbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #3  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherbear View Post
If you've upped your exercise you may be retaining water, if you're close to TOM, you may be retaining water, you don't like the color of your car you may be retaining water.
HaHa I love this!
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #4  

Sometimes even upping your calories can help kickstart you too. I try to eat anywhere between 1500 and 2000. On my days where I do my classes at they Y, I will aim for the higher end. Last fall, I wasn't eating enough, I was exhausted, and I wasn't losing. I always eat breakfast, especially a decent one on the day that I will be exercising. At night, I almost always have a snack of some kind. yogurt, string cheese, lean turkey or chicken, vegies, a piece of fruit.

Another thing, when we are heavier, it is best to start out at a higher calorie limit than a low one. You can always move your limit down as you lose weight. For me, my Resting Metabolic Rate is 289l calories. My Daily Target Caloric Intake to lose 2 pounds a week, is 189l calories. To lose 1 pound a week, it is 239l calories. I found this info at WebMD. I used very active as part of my calculations because of the classes that I am taking at the Y.

I have not lost lots of weight (my tracker is a short term goal that I just started), but I am buying smaller clothes, my bloodwork has improved, medicines that I am on have been reduced. I am much healthier even though the number on the scale doesn't show it.

Hang in there, and I wish you the best!!
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

also, most people lose a more significant amount the first week they start any new eating plan, and typically, a lot of that can be water weight. If you are now on your second or third week, your body may still be adjusting and you may actually be losing some fat, but gaining back a little bit of the water, so it all looks the same on the scale.

But there's also no rule that says you have to eat 5 times a day to lose weight. How often were you eating when you lost the 5 lbs? If that worked for you in terms of a schedule, you could just go back to that again and see what happens.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #6  
banned

S/C/G: 242/201/155

Height: 5'9"

I've found getting the majority of my calories in in the morning helps me. I do a three meals by 2:00 thing and then dinner. It seems to have shaken things up for now. If I plateau again, I'll add an afternoon snack and then take it away after a week.

In my "inexpert" (I love that) opinion, I do believe that the time you eat and the time you weigh in when you weigh do make a difference. I have also read that being consistent in your times is crucial. Keep to a schedule according to the article I read. I'm trying it and I'm down this week, so I'm happy.
Hades Handmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 150/130/125

Height: 5'4" 42 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherbear View Post
That is so true for me!

I will just add that salty food and not enough water intakes will make you retain water as well. I also don’t believe in starvation mode and adding more calories doesn’t make my body lose weight, so my advice is lower calories by 100-200 and double water intake and see what happens.

Good luck and don’t give up, it is YOUR body, so you are the boss and if you said “lose weight!” it has to listen.
onthedietagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 270/208.6/165 (HW285)

Height: 6'

I agree with cherbear about waiting it out if you are not gaining weight. I also chart my weight loss and have noticed patterns. Try charting your weight loss and see if you have any patterns. Hang in there.
mkyice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:48 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5'6 1/2"

I have noticed that my fiber and water intake is as important as my calorie intake.
toobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 193/See ticker/148

Height: 5'4"

I have noticed that for me weight loss is not a matter of consistently moving downward, even when eating about the same amount. I do not really understand how water retention and metabolism work, but I know that eating the same amount of food I can lose a couple of pounds, then the next week no pounds. After that back to a couple of pounds and then maybe even gain a half pound or so.

The important thing is to think long term. If you stick with a healthy restricted eating plan, you will lose weight over time.
emileigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 324/311/130

Height: 5'3"

I am new here. This is my first post.

I started working out with a personal trainer 2 days a week, I have a new food plan where I am sticking to abot 1400-1900 per day, and on my days without the trainer, I go to the Y and do some cardio on my own.

I, too, lost a few pounds and then stopped. I'm not gaining, but not losing either. When you have 180 total pounds to lose like I do, it can be heart wrenching. That's why I look for sites like this. I need to share with other people and hear their stories. I think it will keep me motivated.

We're all in this together.
Piperbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #12  

Smile thanks!

Hi all! Thank you for your words of encouragement, support and advice! I have a feeling I may be retaining water, like most of you guys said as long as I'm not gaining weight then I am probably losing. I'm just going to increase my water intake and stick with my same calorie plan i'm on. Give it time and be patient! It may be that my body is just adjusting, like some of you guys said too. thank you so much for the help!!
Old 02-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #13  

Hi all! I just once again want to thank you for your advice and support! I am started losing again, just stuck with it and didn't give up! I am down 12 pounds now since january and a total of 34 pounds since last year!
~Ashley