3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Calorie Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters-172/)
-   -   Anyone Read Calorie Queens? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters/192277-anyone-read-calorie-queens.html)

lessofme2010 01-26-2010 01:15 PM

Anyone Read Calorie Queens?

Anyone reading a book called Calorie Queens?

I learned about this book right here on 3 fat chicks from some old posts. I ordered it from amazon and I really like it. I am going to follow the principles in this book of counting my calories based on the concept of Eucalorics.

I am reading a few diet books right now, Valerie Bertinelli's Losing It, The Mayo Clinic Diet, and an old book written by a Weight Watchers leader called Yes You Can! They are all very good.

But the bottom line for me is counting my calories. It's the only thing that truly worked for me.

luckymommy 01-26-2010 01:35 PM

Thanks for the referral on the book. Can you please tell us what is so good about the book? Does it try to convince someone that calorie counting is good? Does it tell you how to do it? Meaning, if you're already counting calories, how is this book going to benefit you? I mean this in the most friendly way. :hug: I just buy a lot of books and this one sounds good, but I'd like to know what you think makes it worth while. Thanks! :)

Mariella 01-26-2010 01:37 PM

Yes, I strongly believe in calorie counting too.

It makes sense scientifically - what you put in minus what you burn = what will be stored as fat.

And I think learning about calorie content in foods helps me make better choices for the long term.

I haven't heard about the Calorie Queens book but I'm going to check it out! Thanks for the recommend.

:)

lessofme2010 01-26-2010 05:33 PM

The Calorie Queens book uses a principle called Eucalorics, that is eating your maintenance calories now to lose your weight. For example, I am over 200 lbs. and want to weigh 140. That is a healthy BMI for me. So the base calories I need to maintain a weight of 140 is approximately 1700 a day. So that is what I'm eating now. The concept is entirely explained in the book, and it makes so much sense to me.

I used to lose weight (and also starve) on 1200 calories a day. And of course I couldn't stick to it over the long haul. No more. If this is a lifestyle change for me it has to have minimal deprivation for me to stick to it.

I am slowly losing weight. It's a really good book and I highly recommend it. It's written by a mother-daughter team who lost a ton of weight using this method. The whole thing is explained in the book. Amazon has it at a discount. I bought mine used.

Mariella 01-26-2010 06:22 PM

Ah, that is what I decided to do this time too!

I found an online maintenance-calorie calculator and figured out what I'd need at my age & activity level to maintain 160 pounds. Turns out to be 1600 calories, so I am building my eating plan around that.

I just am not in the mood to starve and compared to my pre-diet caloric intake, 1600 is low enough!

bargoo 01-26-2010 06:22 PM

I think that system the Calorie Queens write about makes a lot of sense. If I had know about it sooner I would have done it instead of the usual method of lowering calories and then trying to find the maintenance amount after you have lost .

lessofme2010 01-26-2010 07:26 PM

Ladies, I agree totally. I really feel I will succeed at this.

luckymommy 01-26-2010 07:30 PM

Thanks Lessofme! That is a great concept! I will definitely look into it. Right now, I eat around 1250-1300 calories a day and it's not that easy. The thing is that I get really frustrated if I eat more and then gain the weight so this is something I will have to try for about a week to make sure I don't gain weight. There is a small amount of people who cannot eat that much if they want to be of a certain weight...I'm not sure if I'm one of them, but I sure do need to find out. Thanks again, it sounds great!

luckymommy 01-26-2010 07:34 PM

Ok, so I just looked up how many calories I could eat (without exercise, which I do anyway) and it said that I could eat 1850 calories! Oh my gosh! That sounds like a whole lot! Does this sound right? I'm 5'9 and am 39 years old. This is scary and exciting all at once. The thing is that whenever I check in the maintenance forum, it sounds like just about everyone there eats a whole lot less than that and that makes me wonder if this is right or not. It sounds logical, but I'm just wondering if it's real?

beachbabe8406 01-26-2010 08:27 PM

I absolutely love diet books! I might have to pick this one up. The basic idea makes sense to me. I imagine that would be a lot easier once you hit maintenance since there would be no change to your daily calories. I looked at the calories for myself, and that seems like a lot. I think I am going to stay reduced until I can get control of myself again, then maybe increase to the maintenance level.