Higher calorie HEALTHY snacks?

• I was having trouble reaching 1300 cals when I started this new change in food. I feel like I have enough energy and I'm not starving but I wanna bump up my calorie intake to around 1500-1600 so when I hit a plateau I can go lower. However I'm barely passing 1300! I dont wanna eat candy bars to fill in those missing calories. I did pick up some peanuts because they are healthy fats and a little thing of those is 160 calories! However last night I had 3 servings and it added up to 480! That cant be goo either. I think I may up my calories at breakfast sine i usually dont go over 200 cals then. So what higher calories snacks do you eat?
  • Nuts! I also prefer full fat dairy and real butter.
  • Maybe choose a higher calorie nut? A serving of walnuts is 200 calories. A glass of 2% milk is 140 calories, so a serving of walnuts and a glass of milk will bring you up to 340.

You could also have an apple with peanut butter, among other things.
  • Well, I have the opposite problem, but I can tell you what healthy things I have to limit because the calories add up quickly
    • I love whole wheat bread and tend to avoid it because I eat too much of it. When I have it around, I make up excuses for things to eat on bread. Peanut butter, almond butter, lowfat cream cheese, fruit spread, tuna salad, etc etc.
    • Same with whole grain tortillas. For me, one tortilla (150 cal) with a slice of lowfat cheese (the kind I get is 90 cal) = a delicious ~250-calorie quesadilla.
    • Actually, lowfat cheese of all kinds is a good way to pack some calories in. I love sharp cheddar with a crisp apple or pear. That could be around 200 cal.
    • Fruit in general can add up quickly. Bananas are an especially easy way to add calories, more than 100 cal each.
    • Avocados! More than 100 cal for half of one.
    • Dark chocolate squares @ 40-60 cal each.
    • Honey @ ~65 cal/tablespoon.
    • Protein powder can easily add more than 100 cal. I've been adding it to hot chocolate recently (but the whole serving does NOT mix into 1 cup, I have found. Turns it to a chalky sludge).
    • Flaxseed oil added to salad dressing or oatmeal (yes, the taste is a little odd but I've done it!) - 120 cal if you use a whole tablespoon.
    • For a treat, I like Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches (which may or may not be considered healthy; they're definitely a processed food) = 140 cal. I usually eat them with an orange, so that's another 35-85 cal, depending on the size.

mmmm... must leave this thread as it's making me hungry!
  • Dried fruit has a lot of calories, but it is full of fiber and other nutrients. I like to snack on dried plums (formerly known as prunes until some PR person decided to change it) but each one has 20 calories. A handful would add up quickly. Dried apricots, craisins, raisins, etc. would be equally caloriffic but delicious.
  • emma - all those foods sound so good! thanks! i always forget about peanut butter because i dont usually eat it on bread because it makes my mouth stick together. Ill have to try it with the apples!

gardendiva - i was actually gonna pick up some dried fruit from the store the other day and totally forgot! I will have to pick them up on my next venture!
  • Nuts, peanut butter, eggs, avocado, coconut milk in a smoothie, pita chips.
  • I second avocado and nuts.

I especially like to get the whole, mixed nuts and open them one at a time with big nut crackers. Makes the snack an event and makes it last!
  • dolphinea, your nutcracking event would even burn a few calories, making the nuts almost into "diet food", LOL!