Confusing Weight Loss Question!

• So, my official WI day is Monday, and when I weighed last Monday I was 166.8. A couple days later, TOM came around and I was pretty OP all week until last night. For some reason I was starving so I went way over my calories.

By some miracle, I managed to have a loss at my official WI this morning. Down from last week's 166.8 to 165.9. I'm wondering, though why I have not had a loss on the scale all week (actually had a gain for most of it) and then the one night I go off plan and eat pretty much whatever I want for dinner, I lose?? Am I not eating enough calories (I average about 1,550 calories/week)? Because TOM is still here and going strong... I haven't worked out in a couple days since the weekend is my rest days, so maybe my muscles have had a chance to "repair" and aren't holding as much water (I have a moderate 30 min workout 4-5x a week)?

I'm mystified, but in a good way I guess. If anyone has any thoughts/theories/similar experiences I would love to hear! Thanks for listening.
  • The food you ate last night hasn't been metabolized yet, so what you see on the scale today isn't a result of last night's overindulgence. Your loss is the result of what you did earlier in the week -- good job! But don't be surprised if you have a small gain in the next 3 or 4 days because of last night's extra calories. The scale doesn't react overnight to what we've eaten the day before. Sometimes it takes a week to see the result of off-plan eating.

Your calories sound fine to me -- keep up the good work!
  • Well for me during TOM my body retains ALOT of water. My hands and feet get swollen and I get super bloated, of corse. During the last day of TOM and the following day I pee non stop! All of the water that my body was retaining. Even if I didn't drink a lot of water. So, water loss could be the reason??
  • Meg, thank you that makes alot of sense I can't believe I've never realized that!

Orange, I think that might have a little to do with it as well, thank you! I'm not complaining though!
  • Quote: (I average about 1,550 calories/week)?
    Am I reading this right? You average 1550 calories a week? That's about 215 calories a day.
  • Lol I meant day.
  • Thanks for the clarification. I was really, truly confused.
  • My jaw hit the floor on that one, too. Phew!
  • Ha ha sorry for the confusion! But it seems the scale is going in the right direction despite a couple minor slip-ups, so I am going to keep doing what I'm doing for now. Thanks for the responses!
  • Yay!! Those little slipups happen to all of us and as long as we get right back on track, they shouldn't slow us down. You're doing great!!
  • Yay, thanks Meg!
  • I always have one day a week where I go way up in calories. I try to not go off my healty eating plan, I just eat a bit more. Those weeks when I do that I lose well. The weeks I don't do it I don't lose as well, or not at all. Its basically calorie cycling. Works well for a lot of people.
    Keep up the good work.
  • I weigh daily, and I've noticed a couple of times the scale crept up because I was retaining water, or slipped down because I lost water while digesting a larger-than-average meal. Overall, the trend is downward, so I am not complaining... but it does get frustrating (like when I was stuck at 145 nearly all last week, then woke up yesterday at 141)!
  • Yeah, I guess I was basically calorie cycling, even though it wasn't on purpose. I have tried doing that before and it works pretty well, but I figured I would save it for when I begin to plateu.

chickie, I hate that feeling of staying the same for a long time too, but I love that woosh when it comes!