3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Calorie Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters-172/)
-   -   Dieting and Mood (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters/191959-dieting-mood.html)

alicat17 01-23-2010 11:16 PM

Dieting and Mood

I find that when I'm dieting, I'm almost always in a bad mood around the house. Everything bothers me more. Anyone else?:(

mmiller2829 01-23-2010 11:35 PM

I find myself getting VERY testy if I go past time to eat and get tooo hungry. I found that EVERYTHING gets on my very last nerve til I eat something. On the other hand tho, this is the first time I have stuck to it this long and worked this hard. I really am starting to feel better and better by the day. I just remind myself daily this IS the rest of my life.

molliecat 01-23-2010 11:41 PM

Absolutely. I have dealing with exactly this situation this week. I think at least in my case, it has to do with using food as a way to smother, cover up, etc. emotions. When I don't have all the food to fall back on, that leaves me to deal with my emotions and situations. I'm sure it must be somewhat similiar to what someone dealing with other addictions must face. And it certainly doesn't help when other people in the household are eating what I want to be eating, but shouldn't. That's my reasoning, anyway.
I think it helps me when I realize and acknowledge that that's what is going on. Today I have not been quite so grouchy. Hope you are feeling better, too:)

charlottekelsey 01-23-2010 11:50 PM

yes. dieting can make you feel edgy, depressed, anxious, etc. i have experienced all of these things...it is more of learning how to live that healthy lifestyle of being okay with hunger and eating smaller portions, healtheir, creating that calorie deficit, etc. it is HARD. but like i said, if it's a "diet" that is temporary, it won't work. make it a lifestyle. jot your thoughts down in a journal or talk to a friend or therapist...it helps a lot...as does drinking a ton of water and staying hydrated and getting your 8 hours of sleep. exercise also improves my mood dramatically.

SNMomof1 01-24-2010 12:28 AM

There are a lot of things that can be contributing to that...

My first concern is if you're eating enough. If you're starving all day, you're going to be miserable. I certainly get mighty testy when I'm hungry... moreso now than ever before.

What are you eating? If your blood sugar drops too low, you'll find yourself getting cranky and irritable. My DF is the KING of this as he is a type II diabetic. I've gotten to the point now that when he gets snappy I tell him to check his sugars. ;) So you may want to remember to eat enough carbs to keep you going through the day. Just don't overdo it!

hometowngirl 01-24-2010 12:38 AM

No, I don't experience that anymore. When I used to try to almost starve myself or eat only healthy stuff all the time I did get really testy though... really testy! I've found a better balance now. :)

Teresa2010 01-24-2010 10:04 AM

On this round, no i have been happier. Before, I counted calories and still ate the not so great stuff. I am off soda, sweet tea and eat more whole grains, veggies and fruit, I exercise at least once a day. I find myself smiling more and having loads of energy. I eat anywhere from 1200 to 1700 calories a day, depending on my hunger level. Typically I eat about 1400 calories but if I am hungry, I will eat.

I have lost the same weight over and over again. I was hungry and grouchy too. This time I am making different eating choices.

Good luck! Don't starve yourself. Find foods that are filling and it will keep you going longer. I use to eat breakfast, snack, starving at noon, snack and starving at 5 and pigging out at dinner. Now breakfast, not really starving at lunch but i eat then hungry for dinner but not starving. Wow!

Oh, and I have had a clean house sinse I started. This is amazing for me! I work full time and I am mom and wife and have a side internet business.

Sorry so long, but basically I am eating better, exercising and finding more energy to keep my life going.

srmb60 01-24-2010 10:15 AM

I'm with the no's.

I've recently been tweaking and rethinking my plan and I find it very empowering and exciting! However ... a hypoglycemic episode can blow that right out of the water. Like others have said ... I have to eat.

JulieJ08 01-24-2010 01:02 PM

When I started "dieting," I just felt so much better - a combination of much, much healthier food, some activity vs pure couch potato, sleeping better, and taking effective action in my life. I became much less crabby.

three herring 01-27-2010 07:39 PM

I still get crabby. It may have more to do with changing hormones or aging, but I feel often cranky and don't know why. I am also more prone to tears. Dieting often makes me feel lost and vulnerable because I don't have the soothing crutch of eating to hide behind. I am working on it though, I use a soothing stone to rub, I count my blessings, I distract myself with computer games, read and knit up a storm!

dolphinea 01-27-2010 09:27 PM

I have to do this every day for about 18 months to get where I want to go, so no, if I was feeling like dieting was ruining my mood every day, I'd be rethinking what I'm doing.

Ali87 01-28-2010 11:22 PM

I used to, but if i started out like that I knew i was in for failure. The times i know I'm gonna succeed I feel really calm, like everything's just got so much simpler and i ask myself what was i worrying about? When my feeling around food start getting complicated again that's when i have to worry...

toobig 01-29-2010 07:59 AM

I feel the same way Ali87

Eliana 01-29-2010 08:20 AM

I'm a "no" too. Dieting makes me feel very good about myself and lifts my mood tremendously. The first three days I have headaches and may be hungry and tired, but I feel empowered to be conquering the difficulties. And after the first three days, honestly I feel incredible. And if I happen to get bored, I change things up. It's good to do that anyway.

mulder1921 01-29-2010 01:30 PM

I have never been in a better mood than the last 4 weeks of eating clean and healthy. I usually deal with major depression and S.A.D. and this is the first year I have felt great during the winter.