Old 12-26-2009, 02:27 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Everyone here has done an excellent job of offering so many examples and suggestions!

Your list is plenty full of things to keep you healthy I'm a vegetable lover myself but there are things I simply do not like which include onions ( I nkow weird, but it is what it is) and raw tomatoes. I like cooked, stewed, roasted tomatoes but not if they're raw.

I LOVe doing stir fry because you can incorporate so many different veggies and you can get away with minimal cooking to preserve the nutrients. I also enjoy doing soups or potatoe casseroles that incoprorate a ton of veggies, like cabbage.

As for spinach, it's great in salad and soup or try this:

Use a tbsp of olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic or 2 tsp of minced garlic. Cook until brown, then add a couple handfuls of fresh basil and 2 servings of almost fully cooked whole wheat linguine.

Then add black pepper to taste and 2 cups of broccoli that's half cooked.

Stir fry for 2-3 minutes then add 2 cups of raw chopped spinach and 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese to the pasta.

Take off heat and toss until cheese is melted, then serve with a huge green salad and a nice low or fat free ginger sesame dressing.

Calories per serving, including a cup of salad and dressing (serves 2): About 400 Calories
bensempress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:51 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 197/195/145

Height: 5'7"

I mostly buy frozen veggies because I waste so much money on fresh and then they go bad because I don't get around to eating them. I buy frozen broccoli and mixed bags of squash/zuchini/broccoli/etc and peas/carrots/corn. I boil the broccoli for a few minutes to thaw/soften and use that by itself with a dash of salt and pepper as a side. I like to roast squash and zuchini (it's already chopped for me) or grill it on the george foreman and dip it in some light ranch.
I do like raw broccoli with fat free italian dressing.
The only thing I buy fresh are salad ingredients: romaine and red lettuce, bell peppers, cucumbers and some fruit. I also sprinkle a little mozzarella cheese on salads again with fat free italian yum!
And Bensempress you already gave my suggestion for spinach! I sometimes use it fresh in salads or instead of lettuce in tacos.

Last edited by Sarby; 12-27-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Sarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:32 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I love to take cauliflower or brocolli - steam or microwave with onions until soft. add some low fat broth and some milk. I use my immersion blender and whirr it into a soup. Then add T of parm cheese after I put it in the bowl. Yummy healthy easy soup with veggies.

Thanks for all these ideas.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote