Old 11-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #1  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 311/Ticker/175

Height: 5'6''

Default Doctor wants me to up my calories

Hey all, just wanted to throw this out there and see your opinions on it. I've been losing about a pound or two a week sometimes more sometimes less, but I've been around 1300-1500 calories a day, but today the doctor said I should raise my calories to 1800 on days I do not workout and 2000 on days I do. This seems like a large jump, but also the thing is, what to eat. The calories I am at allows me to be full all day, so I don't know how to take in an additional 300 calories a day without it being junk, which I try to stay away from anyway. Thoughts, ideas? Thanks.
Gekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

You know your body best.
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #3  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

You do know yourself best, but on the flip side, at your weight you may be able to eat more calories and still lose what you are losing (or more, oddly enough). I'd say give it a try in the spirit of experimentation. It would also give you more room to lower your calories later when the weight loss slows as your body shrinks.

Last edited by CLCSC145; 11-12-2009 at 07:05 PM.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLCSC145 View Post
You do know yourself best, but on the flip side, at your weight you may be able to eat more calories and still lose what you are losing (or more, oddly enough). I'd say give it a try in the spirit of experimentation. It would also give you more room to lower your calories later when the weight loss slows as your body shrinks.
Well, I guess I have mixed emotions. In my opinion, if it isn't broken, don't fix it. At your current calorie intake you should be able to hit 150 without any problems. I wouldn't worry about what is going to happen wayyyyy down the line. Do what is working right now. You could always try to increase for 10 days and re-evaulate your progress then.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

If your are satisfied and eating highly nutritious calories, I wouldn't worry all that much about raising those calories. Especially to 2000. But you can certainly experiment. See if you are pleased with the results.

As far as healthy calories. That shouldn't be a problem. An extra protein - like a chicken breast. Or some avocado and a sprinkling of walnuts in a salad. A tablespoon or two of peanut butter with an apple. Instead of egg white omlettes, have a couple of whole eggs. 1/2 cup additional of brown rice. A sweet potato with dinner. Greek yogurt instead of FF/SF yogurt. An additional yogurt/berry smoothie. There's plenty of healthy options.

If and when you do up those calories, I would be sure to journal accurately so you know what to change if need be.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5 ft 3ish

Personally I'm losing better now that I've upped my calories.
I average 1800-1900 a day. It surprised me too!
HeaterAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:52 PM   #7  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 311/Ticker/175

Height: 5'6''

Thanks guys! Great tips. I guess there is nothing wrong with trying it and if it doesn't work go back. If I do experiment, how long do I wait? I imagine with the change there will be immediate fluctuations, but I don't want to risk gaining back what I've lost, it was hard work to get it off! So as a general rule how long do you wait to see if the scale is moving in the right direction?
Gekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #8  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

As someone who still manages to lose weight eating ~1800-2000 calories I'd say listen to the doctor. You may find that your loss rate doesn't change. For me, when I eat at higher levels I have more energy so I move around more (which burns more calories). Years ago at lower calories (1200-1300) I ran myself into the ground (and the hospital) on those calories. There's plenty of time to drop your calories later on. (Me, I'll likely just increase my exercise level instead.)

As to the raising your calories. Adding 300 calories is easy - a little oil (or real salad dressing) and an ounce of nuts. On workout days consider adding a protein shake with a little fruit in it afterwards.

ETA - when I make changes I usually go 4 weeks before making any changes (ie. one full monthly cycle)

Last edited by RealCdn; 11-12-2009 at 08:04 PM.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:37 PM   #9  

You could easily eat 300 calories more a day with a few snacks of nuts, a hardboiled egg, stuff like that. Personally I'm in agreement with your doctor.
cassieroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #10  

I'm in agreement with the doctor too. I had been eating about 1500 calories and losing slowly. I do aerobics and zumba 5 times a week and walk on other days. I was worn out. I can't believe how much more energy I have now that I have upped the calories. My doctor also told me to quit paying attention to the scale and pay attention to my body and clothing. I know that I have toned up with all of the classes that I'm taking, and all the clothes are fitting better.
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:51 AM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Yes, I'd give it 4 weeks. Track and measure accurately and be faithful to the numbers. You're going to do just fine.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:11 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
I'm in agreement with the doctor too. I had been eating about 1500 calories and losing slowly. I do aerobics and zumba 5 times a week and walk on other days. I was worn out. I can't believe how much more energy I have now that I have upped the calories. My doctor also told me to quit paying attention to the scale and pay attention to my body and clothing. I know that I have toned up with all of the classes that I'm taking, and all the clothes are fitting better.
Amazing what eating enough does for your energy levels! Sometimes I forget or am having a busy day and don't eat enough.. I pay for it though! Yikes! Usually I end up ravenous about 11:00 pm and inhale a bowl of cereal. Also, no exercise because I'm tired and have no energy.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:23 AM   #13  

It really is amazing! I kept thinking that if I ate more that I would gain right away, but that hasn't been the case. I did tell my doctor that if I'm supposed to stop paying attention to the scales that he should have the nurse quit weighing me!
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #14  

Gekster and what were his arguments in favor of upping your calorie intake? If it's about some health issues connected with you eating less then you definitely should go with it, but if it's nothing in particular and you're happy with your weightloss progress and the way you feel - i see no point in changing the routine that works
berrybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:43 PM   #15  

What did you decide to do and how are you feeling?