Old 07-27-2009, 07:21 AM   #1  
One day at a time...

S/C/G: 226/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Default Calorie Cycling?

I'm beginning to hear a lot about calorie cycling and was wondering if anyone here does this and if so... what sort of plan do you use? What are your calorie counts for your low days and your high days?

When I joined Curves, the owner gave me the Curves book that advocates some calorie cycling... has anyone here tried that method?

Thanks!
Shrinking Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:46 AM   #2  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

What is it?
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:47 AM   #3  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I calorie cycle.

For me, I eat according to my activities for the day. For example -

On days I just do cardio - 1400 calories
On days I do strength and cardio - 1600 calories
On days I rest - 1200 calories

I have seen some recommend this site - http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm . Once you've entered your info and have your results, if you scroll down you have the option to see a 7 day calorie cycle plan.

Good luck with your goals.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:16 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

calorie cycling is a way to keep your metabolism jolted so to speak. Our bodies try very hard to keep us in 'HOMEOSTASIS'. That is why if we start losing a bunch of weight--the body senses starvation. Let's say you have dropped your caloric intake from 1800 to 1400. You try to maintain that number every day. The body becomes more efficient at only using 1400 cs a day and then it adjusts your metabolism so you can eat less and still not lose weight. The body constantly adapts. So the theory of cycling calories is to KEEP YOUR BODY FROM adapting to a certain calorie limit.

For example using the website: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

my BMR is 1515. to maintain my weight I need to eat 2083 cs day.l
To lose 2-3 lbs a week I need to eat 1416 cs day.

I COULD do that only eat 1416 cs per day. Eventually my body will adapt (plateau my weight loss). However, I could also calorie cycle:

1416 *7 = 9912

but so does 1416+1416+1700+1416+1416+1558+1416 =9912

The method chic is using is actually recommended by the author of Lean Gains. He mentions on rest days that he eats fewer calories and less carbs. On heavy cardio days he eats more calories and more carbs. ON heavy strength days he eats more protein and more calories.

edited to say: when I was easing myself into a weight loss plan a couple of years ago I was just logging my intake and my weight loss amount on an excel worksheet. I noticed when I naturally zig zagged (cycled) my calories the weight loss would jump start. So I learned it was a useful tool.

Last edited by jendiet; 07-27-2009 at 09:19 AM.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:27 AM   #5  
Lil' Old Chick

S/C/G: 229/206/150

I read somewhere that some people kind of zigzag their calorie numbers like one day eat 500 calories the next day 2000. Correct me if I am wrong, but that does sound very extreme.
Me Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

it is kind of extreme me too. I once used ADF as a way to lose 35 lbs fast. it worked. You will not go into starvation mode with either plan because on your HD--you basically eat maintenance. but...these plans really get your body guessing so there is little to no adaptation.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

I do, but not intentionally. It seems impossible to eat the same number of calories a day, unless I were to eat the same thing. I range between 1350-1850 (although of course, there are days that I "accidentally" go above that!) but as long as each week it's about the same, it's okay.
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #8  
Samantha

S/C/G: 200/159/150

Height: 5'7"

I know that calorie cycling sounds like it makes sense, but metabolically it can't happen. Your body needs exactly what it needs in the way of energy - no more and no less. If you consume more caloric energy than your body needs, the extra will be converted to storied glycogen (animal carbohydrate) and fat. Calorie cycling is like saying if you put in different amounts of gas into your car each time you fill-up, the car will not know what to expect and will burn more gas everyday.
Samantha100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha100 View Post
I know that calorie cycling sounds like it makes sense, but metabolically it can't happen. Your body needs exactly what it needs in the way of energy - no more and no less. If you consume more caloric energy than your body needs, the extra will be converted to storied glycogen (animal carbohydrate) and fat. Calorie cycling is like saying if you put in different amounts of gas into your car each time you fill-up, the car will not know what to expect and will burn more gas everyday.
It's not really like saying that. We are still giving it "less" than it needs, just in varying amounts. And we aren't cars, we are people.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 174/131.5/132

Height: 5'8"

Zig zagging my daily caloric intake has worked for me both in losing and maintaining my current weight. For me it makes a big difference as I know there are days where I can indulge more than others rather than eating the same number of calories every day. I also mix it up with my exercise sessions so my body doesn't get used to a "routine".
njsweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:14 PM   #11  

I also do this unintentionally.I try to stay about 1200 but usually shoot for more of a range of 1200-1400.I feel like I personally need the flexability.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:24 PM   #12  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha100 View Post
Yes, but ...

Losing weight is accomplished by eating fewer calories than you need each day. As long as you don't go over the number of calories your body needs to function, calorie cycling will work.

In fact, for many chickies, it does work better than eating the same number every day. Particularly, if you vary your activity level. Allowing yourself more calories on active days, and fewer calories on "calmer" days really does work well from a biological perspective.

That being said, I do not believe anyone should cycle below 1100-1200 calories, because your body does need basic nutrition every day to function properly.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #13  
Samantha

S/C/G: 200/159/150

The bottom line is that you have to push or pull your body through all of the movements you take in a day along with keeping your heart pumping, your body temperature normal, and digesting your food. All of this takes energy - calories. If your body didn't keep supplying energy, you would DIE. There are only two ways for you body to obtain energy, what is storied on your body (glycogen, fat/lipid, and protein) or what you eat. It you eat more than you require, your body will convert the extra into storage (usually fat). If you eat less than you need, your body will convert stored energy to ATP (cellular energy material). If you want to burn more calories and keep your metabolism up, then MOVE YOUR BODY. Walk, Run, anything to get your heart rate up and your breathing rate up (a sign of your body converting storied energy to ATP). You can swear by calorie cycling is your want, but there hasn't been any double blind research studies from a major university to provide any proof that it works. Some of you need some biology homework!
Samantha100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Thanks Samantha! I think we all appreciate your concern.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 165.6/158.4/130

I do it kind of naturally. I have a GoWear Fit and my goal is to be between 500-1000 deficit. So when I have a really high day (saturaday was 3600) I might eat between 2600 & 3000. A low day (like today) i might burn only 2400 so I shoot for 1400-1900.

Candice
crcossel is offline   Reply With Quote