Old 05-27-2009, 12:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/174/120

Height: 5'0

Default Does it matter WHAT you eat?

I have done the South Beach diet for years. It's a great diet, but I just couldn't seem to stay focused. When I'm told I can't have something, I want it. Even if normally I don't want it. With South Beach they stress whole grains, no potatoes (except sweet potatoes), no white sugar. So with calorie counters, does it matter WHAT you eat? Can we eat some sugar and white potatoes?
Nigelswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Nope. I've noticed that I make good decisions most of the time because I want to make the calories worth my while... but that's the beauty of the calories in calories out equation. You can eat whatever you want in moderation .
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #3  
Getting healthy again!!

S/C/G: 204/199/140

Height: 5'2.5"

I like you crave what I cant have, thats why calorie counting has been better for me. I have the control not my diet.

I have learned that I would rather "spend" my calories on a nice filling meal, instead of a hamburger. One of the best things I bought for myself was the CalorieKing book, or as my DH calls it the scariest book ever written, it instantly made me never ever want fast food again.

That being said its all about moderation, you have the control not a set of rules, so long as you stay within your caloric goals.
Cebsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

From the perspective of tracking calories, no, it doesn't matter.

But you will soon find out that some foods sort of put themselves right off your list, once you find out how many calories they have. At least, you'll have to limit them.

Also, you'll find that it's better to have a balance of the main nutrients--proteins, carbs, fats--than have one of them really high and another really low. That is, unless you're trying to mix programs, something I don't believe in.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Tecnically, you can eat what ever you want , just stay within your calorie allottment BUT look out some foods might cause a binge or at least want you to binge. I avoid those kinds of foods.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/174/120

Height: 5'0

Thanks everyone! My main concern is being able to have a potato or a piece of candy with real sugar. Or corn (South Beach wants you to limit your corn intake and I LOVE corn). Fast food is NOT a problem for me )
Nigelswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #7  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelswife View Post
Thanks everyone! My main concern is being able to have a potato or a piece of candy with real sugar. Or corn (South Beach wants you to limit your corn intake and I LOVE corn). Fast food is NOT a problem for me )
I put real sugar in my coffee every morning, guilt free. Just count the calories...
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

And I use real butter on my baked potato....so there !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Or you could do a little combination of both. I'm doing that now, sort of South Beach with more fruit then tecnically allowed and I seem to be doing ok this time.

I fell off the wagon a while back because I really wanted white rice-there's nothing better then new crop Kokoho Rose sushi rice, watermelon and corn on the cob in the summer. Soon I found myself eating more then I should without paying attention to calories or food lists...wasn't good...gained back a bunch of weight.

Good luck
Sarah in MD
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I think it does matter what you do eat. The thing now is small, frequent meal keeps us more full and keeps our metabolisms up. If you have 1 big heavy meal at night worth about 1300-1500 calories, you might be more likely to store it all as fat.

I still think white potatoes with the skin are ok to have. I don't really consider them a junk food unless we are talking french fries or mashed potatoes with other stuff..
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:58 PM   #11  
BOOM!

S/C/G: 176.6/130/130

Height: 5'2"

It matters what you eat for your health, but at the same time having a piece of candy occasionally is less of a disaster when calories counting than when on low carb. As long as you stay within your plan and are getting adequate nutrition then you can indulge reasonably.
prinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:09 PM   #12  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

I count calories and I drink occasionally plus have whatever I want whenever I want...that being said, I make the calories count!@!!! I find that I make better choices...I eat more salads, fruit and veggies then I ever have.

I have only had one piece of pizza in 2 months....went to the movies and had a handful of popcorn. So you see, you can eat what you want...you just have to make it the right thing.

NewJacque
Formerly,
Jacque9999
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:28 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

For me it matters, because I need to get the most filling power from my food. So empty calories just don't work for me. I can't do 100 calorie packs and the such. They don't fill or satisfy me. They also keep the desire for cookies/cakes in the forefront of my brain. I personally find the longer I keep away from sugar-y/carb-y foods, the less and less I want them. So not eating foods that keep my cravings alive are important.

I also like/need/require lots of VOLUME. That's where all the veggies come in. I get lots and lots of volume for a small amount of calories.

And then there's the protein. Also helps to keep me full longer. I avoid being hungry, as being hungry sets me up for making poor choices. The protein helps greatly in keeping me full.

The second you start counting calories, you really get very choosy with them. Needing to get the very most from each and every one. I know for me, my eating evolved as I discovered which foods worked for me and which didn't.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #14  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Yes, I can eat what I want--BUT!

Once I eat all the things I "need" to eat for my body, I don't have many "play" calories left. First and foremost, I changed my life because of life altering health conditions that have destroyed my family. I want (ideally) every thing that goes in my mouth to be a step in the other direction. Yes, I do have a splurge now and again but it (vastly) is the exception rather than the rule.

I could eat 8 candy bars a day and enjoy every bite. I would still be OP calorie wise. The problem is though that my body would be malnourished and I would be starving! Not to mention, I would also feel like garbage.

So, yes you CAN eat what you want, BUT!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:44 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

I eat white potatoes almost every night with dinner. I have learned that boiled, with a little butter and low fat sour cream was lower in calories than my mashed potatoes so I do that most often, they are also easier to count since I never measure the amount of butter or skim milk I was putting in the mashed. I also have a dark chocolate snickers waiting on me in my freezer, well half anyways, one day I will eat it because I want it, I don't HAVE to have it but I like knowing I can. Things like that, is why I could never stick to low carb eating
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote