Old 02-27-2009, 02:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 228/184.7/145

Height: 5'6"

Default No wonder I'm fat!!!

We were ordering take out from Chili's today at work so I was on the website pulling the nutritional guide. I immediately went to the Guiltless section and picked out something that fit into my goals for the day. Then I just started looking at some of the other stuff on there. My friends and I used to go to Chili's every Wednesday night after going horseback riding for margaritas, food and good times.

We would always order a plate of Texas Cheese Fries to share (1930 calories split by 4 people), I would have the Chicken Crispers (1900 calories all by myself) and a Chocolate Chip Paradise Pie to split (1590 calories.) I'm not even counting the multiple rounds of margaritas. You know it's bad for you when you do it, but actually looking at the numbers is SCARY. When I went to pick up my food, I walked past someone who was eating the crispers. While I'll still occasionally get the craving for something that is not on my plan for the day, I looked at that plate and just saw it for what it was - a huge pile of grease and fat that looked severely UNAPPETIZING!

My broccoli and Carne Asada steak for 371 calories (give or take a few!) was yummy and filling without making me need a nap. What a difference a few months makes!
steph324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #2  
Workin' It

What really shook me up was my takeout meal from Zaxby's, that I considered 'eating lighter'...

Five chicken fingers: 20/422
Zax sauce: 17/180
Two slices toast: 12/288
Tater Chips: 53/799

For a total of: 102g of fat and 1689 calories...

And I would cite this meal to my husband as eating better at fast food...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #3  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

i didnt realize how badly i was eating until AFTER i started eating better... i got an ipod app that has nutrition info for fast food and chain places. it was RIDICULOUS!!!

thatnk god i don't eat that stuff anymore...
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:31 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Oh yeah it's like no wonder America is so fat! I mean I've seen SALADS that are over 1000 calories! That's CRAZY! IT'S A SALAD! I might as well eat a stick of butter and call it a day

Now when I go out to eat I ask where we are going- I look up the foods and select before going- I don't even look at the menu anymore- and if the restaurant has no nutrition information I refuse to go lol. At work they go eat out on Friday's and I try to keep those meals under 600 calories if possible. Like last time we went to Cheesecake factory I had a "weight management" salad that was under 600 calories and water to go with it. The time they went to a taco shop I just didn't go because there is nothing good there!

I have friends who are severly overweight who eat out EVERYDAY- they are killing themselves and they don't care- they say "I'm gonna die anyways, might as well enjoy it." To which I say well that's true but you are taking years off of your life AND you may have medical problems when you get older so why not take care of it now before it happens?

I say fast food places should stop using so much salt and butter! Maybe then America as a whole will lose a few tons of weight
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 266/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

It really is a wake up call!
I used to think before I started eating healthy that it wasn't fair that all the skinny people could eat whatever they wanted and I would look around the restaurant while eating bad food and be so jealous. I would only look at the skinny people because it fueled my jealousy (wrong I know) Recently we met with some family at a buffet style place and I chose all healthy foods in small portions, but looked around and seen things with new eyes...I seen a lot morbidly obese people eating piles of food on their plates and I KNEW from that moment that I never wanted to go back to that. I am not saying that all morbidly obese people eat like that...but I was one of them...I had nothing to blame my obesity on, but my own gluttony.
I will admit that it has been hard to deny my one friend that loves a specific mexican restaurant and we love to have margaritas there. She has asked a couple of times, but right now I am totally focused to getting this weight off. I keep telling her that when I get to goal I will have A margarita with her, but I can't eat all the food and drink to excess like I used to.
BonnieMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #6  
Meow

HOLY CRAP!!! That is a lot of calories.. It makes me feel guilty because tomorrow I am going out for wings =( but I dont care cause it is my freinds birthday and the rest of the week I have been really good =]
kalikat003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:47 PM   #7  

Its so hard to find healthy fast food.I have rerely ate out since beginning ww.I get so paranoid, even if the nutritional info is given.Just saw several articles that state most healthy options in restaurants were analyzed and most were double in fat and calories than they advertised.Scary.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:53 PM   #8  
BOOM!

S/C/G: 176.6/130/130

Height: 5'2"

We were just about to order salads from a delivery place, and I found their nutritionals online. SO glad I looked. We ended up ordering pasta instead because their dressing and little additions to the salads were so bad we were just as well off with the pasta... which turns out not to be THAT bad for the small for the big meal of the day.
prinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #9  

I'm almost afriad to know how much I eat at Olive Garden! lol. I have a thing for pasta and I don't want to know how much a plate of ravioli's are!
loveLauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #10  
BOOM!

S/C/G: 176.6/130/130

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveLauren View Post
I'm almost afriad to know how much I eat at Olive Garden! lol. I have a thing for pasta and I don't want to know how much a plate of ravioli's are!
I just looked it up on the daily plate.

I agree you don't want to know!
prinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 255/see tracker/180

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Reading the numbers takes my cravings away. I lose my appetite for it when I read the amounts and its 1000 calories and 900 sodium etc, it is just not appealing anymore.
jademarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:40 AM   #12  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Ignorance is bliss? Only until you get on the scale... "I don't know why it is I'm not losing weight."

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 228/184.7/145

We used to justify it saying that we had just ridden and we deserved the "few" extra calories, but now knowing exactly how hard it is to work off calories, I feel much better telling myself "why ruin all the hard work I just put in." I would have had to work out for several days straight to justify even one of those items!
steph324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #14  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

I Myself have banned MCDonalds FOR LIFE SINCE I THOUGHT MOST EVERYTHING THEY HAVE IS SOOOOO HIGH IN CALORIES & I CAN EAT MORE AT HOME with more nutrition! I have ate out one time since I started losing weight and that was at Long John Silvers~I Chose the night before What I was going to eat and took my own drink with me(A diet caffiene free pepsi) I think even on eating things at home I was averaging 4000 to 6000 calories a day especially after I quit smoking cigs back last Feb.Because I was eating butterscotch candies like crazy a bag proboly every 2 days!
(Needless to say I gained weight super quickly.Thank God I go to the doctor monthly because I didn't have a home scale at the time. When They told me I weighed 259.9 I Started THE NEXT DAY TO LOSE WEIGHT~(I thought i am now closer to 300 than 200 and It was my heighest weight ever~I have never been tiny ever My lowest weight was 170 to 180 When I was a teenager dating my hubby And then 8 years ago I used meatoblife 356 (BAD IDEA) and went to 178 and gained it back QUICKLY as soon as they pulled those pills off the shelves for killing people. Anyways Calorie Counting has changed my life. I just wish I was aware of it sooner. GOODLUCK EVERYONE AND CONGRADS TO ALL THOSE WHO Look up everything before eating it and choose differently than what they use to.

Oh Almost forgot my average of calories per day now is 1400~And I feel great!

Last edited by Lori259; 02-28-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Lori259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:11 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 194/185/140

Height: 5'7"

Every day I drive by 5 fast food restaurants on the way to work, when going back and forth at lunch time (to let those two puppies out) and on the way home. That's 20 times a day and believe me I want to stop and get something at the drive thru each day. Once I am home or at work and have not picked up something I feel so proud of myself. I just hope for the day that I don't notice those places anymore.
MJSinMT is offline   Reply With Quote