Why don't Calorie Counter's have...

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • A sub forum for recipes - like the other plans (LAWL, WW, SBD) have?

...Or maybe I'm over looking it?
  • Oh ... that would be an awesome idea. So we could post recipes with calorie counts and nutritional data??

I'd love that.

• Me too! I keep stealing recipies from other diet plans, but not all of them have calorie counts. Points and exchanges mean nothing to me.
  • oh that would be awesome!!!!!!
  • The "Recipes" section (part of the "Food Talk and Fabulous Finds" forum) showcases all kinds of healthy recipes, most of which are low calorie. Splitting them into a separate thread here seems sort of unnecessary. The reason that WW Core, South Beach, Atkins, etc have separate recipe threads is that they have guidelines about WHAT foods you can eat, not how much, so the recipes tend to be more specialized.

It's my favorite thing about calorie counting - fewer rules, so we don't have to split our recipes into a whole separate section. We can work ANY of the recipes here, either in the general recipe section or the specialty sections like South Beach, into our plan.
  • Ah... see, I thought I might've been missing something.

That works! Thanks Amanda!
  • It would still be cool .
  • Amen, Amanda. That is what I love about calorie counting, it is so flexible.
  • What I'd like is a list of very low calorie meals and snacks for those days when you don't have many left to spare. Maybe some relatively healthy/filling dinners for 200 calories or that kind of thing. (Hi, BTW, I am new here. Usually post over an the 100+ forum).
  • I agree that there are a lot of recipes over in the forum, but it would be nice to have recipes that had calories and nutritional info posted as well. Maybe if we calorie counter started adding nutritional info to our recipes and labelling them as such, that would help?

>
  • If you're not sure about the nutritional information of a recipe you can always put in the ingredients in a program like nutritiondata.com and get all the information you always wanted to know.
  • Quote:
    If you're not sure about the nutritional information of a recipe you can always put in the ingredients in a program like nutritiondata.com and get all the information you always wanted to know.
    At the risk of sounding rude ... no duh.

I add recipes to the sparkpeople recipe program all the time to get their calories. And I"m pretty good at estimating calories from a recipe by eyeballing it, but then I cook a lot and I have that experience to fall back on.

A lot of people here don't have the time or inclination to input every recipe that interests them into a program or the experience to be able to eyeball a recipe and tell if it's worth the time and effort.

I'm just saying that for those of us who calorie count and post recipes, let's make an effort to help each other out by including at least basic calorie info when we post a recipe. Just to make it easier on each other.

• Quote: It would still be cool .
    Agreed.

Lyn2007: You might want to check this out:
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151115
  • Ok, I started us off! I posted a recipe in the recipes section that's marked "low cal" ... and veggie, to boot!

• Quote: The "Recipes" section (part of the "Food Talk and Fabulous Finds" forum) showcases all kinds of healthy recipes, most of which are low calorie. Splitting them into a separate thread here seems sort of unnecessary. The reason that WW Core, South Beach, Atkins, etc have separate recipe threads is that they have guidelines about WHAT foods you can eat, not how much, so the recipes tend to be more specialized.

It's my favorite thing about calorie counting - fewer rules, so we don't have to split our recipes into a whole separate section. We can work ANY of the recipes here, either in the general recipe section or the specialty sections like South Beach, into our plan.
    I have been asked a few times over the years this same question...and Amanda's answer is perfect. I feel, personally, that as calorie counters, we can go into the WW, LAWL, or any other recipe section here on 3FC, and simply choose what sounds good. It seemed to me, that having a calorie counter recipe section would be a bit redundant...