Old 11-19-2008, 11:31 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
What if someone lives out in the country, and has slow dial up internet service? They know they are looking for a particular recipe, but they spend 10 minutes waiting for individual pages to load that are swamped with off topic chatter instead.
Ok, please know that I'm not trying to be argumentative ... mostly I'm just kind of enjoying the back and forth.

But ... doesn't that argument hold true for ANY thread here on 3FC. If someone has a slow dialup connection, they're going to see that a thread has lots of responses and choose whether to click on it or not.

Aside from that, I just checked out the recipe threads in the LA Weight Loss area, the SB area, and the WW area (which has the most recipe posts). There were maybe 2 or 3 recipes in each section that had more than 2 or 3 responses. The most I saw was around 15 responses. OH and there was a very general thread in the WW forum for "Mexican Soups" - not a specific recipe - that had 50 responses.

I just don't see the "speed of access" thing being a big deal. Any thread on 3FC has the same potential issue - lots of responses that might slow down someone's connection.

Quote:
I am a very neat and organized person by nature, and if there were a recipe section here in CC, I wouldn't want it littered with off topic or one sentence posts.
But what if the other posters here *did* want that and didn't consider that "litter" or "a mess"? If someone posts "this was good" that encourages me to make the recipe. Why is a one line response necessarily clutter or litter?

Last edited by PhotoChick; 11-19-2008 at 11:33 AM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:36 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

It isn't a single, one line response that makes the mess. It is when it becomes multiple ones, covering various recipes. I haven't been over there in a while since I don't mod in that area any longer...but the LAWL recipe section (when I was mod in there) was composed of closed Stickys, so there wasn't any chatter. It ended up being very clean looking...but at the time it also took about 45 minutes out of my day...every day.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:49 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

I understand the desire for wanting things to be clean looking and organized, but I think most of us enjoy talking about the recipes and discussing ideas. It is a forum.

Calorie counting is so confusing for some. And sure, we may not all have the same calorie counts for recipes because of ingredients, but isn't the same true for any other plan? They dont typically specify brand names. The calorie counts are just a good starting place or estimate for recipes.

I really see this as being an area that will help everyone - both newbies and long time members.
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

raw-I understand that it is a forum...but a recipe section is a recipe section, not a general chat area. If people want the recipes organized and put into an easy access area...the chatter defeats that. We might as well just post a recipe IN the daily chat thread instead...

If we were to create a separate recipe section, the point of the separate section would be so that it would be organized, and NOT part of the chatting area of Calorie Counters. That is why the recipe sections, when made, are subforums of that plan.

Guys...I really have to go for a while. I have a dance lesson to teach.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:29 PM   #35  
it's always something

Here's my position on this and I hope I don't upset anyone with it

I cringe every time someone asks to add another recipe sub-forum because I personally feel that it makes it very difficult for members and visitors to find recipes because there are so many corners to search. As someone else mentioned, not all recipes contain nutrition info which makes it hard for people following specific diets. For example, there are a ton of really delicious recipes in South Beach and WW forums but they don't include calories, so you may not bother. Likewise, WW members may not bother searching here even though most of your recipes would work well for them - if they had the points. Low Carb recipes are the only ones that aren't going to be useful to the majority and are best where they are.

So many sub-forums also makes it cluttered and confusing for newbies. We've even had complaints by newbies about the various recipe forums.

So here's my suggestion

We have a very nice recipe section at http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-recipes/ with almost 1,000 recipes and is in need of new recipes. If you will send me your recipes via PM or the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page, I will upload the recipes and will even run them through mastercook to get the nutrition information and WW points. All of our recipes include this information. It makes it easy for people across the board. The recipes also allow ratings and reviews, and the diet recipes section is searched regularly by thousands of visitors daily that don't visit the forum. ( Btw, recipes that get multiple bad reviews are pulled. )

If you submit a recipe, we will include your name or forum username as the contributor. All we ask is that you only submit recipes you have actually tried and know are successful and taste good.

We can then put a sticky at the top of this forum to direct all calorie counters there.

I hope this will be acceptable to you all. It seems like the best option for everyone.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:31 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
We can then put a sticky at the top of this forum to direct all calorie counters there.
Suzanne ... that sounds like decent compromise. Honestly I had no idea about that section of the site. I always come straight to the boards from my bookmarks, so until you just mentioned it, I'd never seen it. So I think if we could direct people to it, that would help a lot.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:48 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

I love that link! So well organized. I didn't know about that area either. You can post reviews and vote on recipes! This works for me. Posting a sticky with the link sounds good. Thanks, Suzanne.
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote