Old 09-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/204/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Hormones and Hunger

I suffer from PMS. Severe PMS. As you can imagine, those raging hormones make it difficult to think clearly. As a result, I can feel down (even though I've been eating so well and exercising) for no reason, and hungry for no reason.

I've had 1,000 calories and it's only 2:30. It hasn't been necessarily bad food either, just more than I would have by this time of the day.

I don't feel like I've been successful in my weight loss efforts, even though I know I have. I don't want to go to the gym today and I want chocolate right now.

One of my ways to work through this, is to come to this site. However, I will have all three little ones by myself this evening and my patience is thin.

How can I get through this?

Last edited by Curvaliscious; 09-25-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Curvaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:04 PM   #2  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Chew gum! That helps me some.

I am also starving the few days before TOM and that week also.
It sucks

Just don't let it get you down and remember that it's only temporary.

Best wishes
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:57 PM   #3  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

Oh yeah, the PMS monster often turns me into an eating machine!

Honestly, what helped me a lot was getting onto the pill. It has eliminated those TOM-related binge tendencies. This connection became crystal clear this past week, because I stopped taking the pill last month after having been on it for about seven months. (It's along story why.)

I was doing just fine, until last week when I turned into a wild fridge raider! I had a stretch of really bad days, where I just gave in and binged. I couldn't understand why I was suddenly feeling so out of control until it finally dawned on me "Oh, I'm due for my TOM next week....."

Needless to say, I will be back on the pill ASAP!

Last edited by Apple Cheeks; 09-25-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:06 PM   #4  

I am on the pill!

re: Gum- Do they have chocolate gum? Or steak flavored gum?
: )
Old 09-25-2008, 08:13 PM   #5  
Keeping It Simple

S/C/G: 185/178.5/115

Height: 5' 2"

Curvalicious, I'm watching this thread right along with you because I struggle with this as well.

When I have bad PMS, I get so hungry I feel nauseated. Very similar to how I felt when I was pregnant. Hormones, gotta love them
DayByDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:29 PM   #6  

I tend to go over my calorie limit at my ToM. I try and be gentle with myself and allow myself to eat more and junkier, but I also try and keep it to a moderate amount. So.....mebbe one snickers bar instead of an entire tub of ice cream. I know I can get out of control with my eating around that time of month and if I try and ignore cravings, I end up binging. Better feed the cravings a little rather than lose total control. I'm sure it slows down my weight loss, but I'd rather be reasonably sane than skinny fast.

Right now I am sick as a dog and struggling with that for the first time. I feel fat and bloated and icky. I can't work out and I am hungry, hungry hippo. It's miserable. I guess it's like tom, it'll pass in a few days and I just need to roll with it and be gentle with myself. Ugh.
cdiem4994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:39 PM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

I feel your pain, I'm totally the same way. I'd love to tell ya I have a trick but honestly I always have a few 200-300 calorie slips when I have it.
hmtklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:36 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 307/277/TBA

Height: 5'5"

I'm the same as you. In fact, I've got PMS and cravings right now. Last night I was craving bitter chocolate so I mixed cocoa powder and splenda into greek yogurt. Yummmm.

Yesterday I read something interesting about why we get hungrier during PMS. And I quote:

"If there is a silver lining to PMS, it's that our resting metabolic rate may increase during the part of the menstrual cycle known as the luteal phase (the day after ovulation to the first day of your period). The metabolic boost we get from being "hormonal" can equal as much as 300 calories a day - which is why our appetite increases during this phase."

I know it doesn't help you much, but I thought it was interesting.

Last edited by Redheaded I am; 09-25-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Redheaded I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:45 PM   #9  

Thank you all for the help. I just feel plain agitated. I'm certain chocolate would make me feel better. : ) My poor kids and husband. How many calories are in wine?

Off to watch Survivor....
Old 09-26-2008, 01:13 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Approx 100 calories for 4oz.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

What pill are you on? If you're not already, try Yaz or Yasmin, they're great for smaller periods and decreased hormones. I'm on generic yasmin myself, and I rarely get PMS anymore, or cramps, etc.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:22 PM   #12  

I take Yasmin and really it has saved my life. After having my 3rd child, I felt awful until I starting taking this BC. So, for me, this is better than I could be feeling. Kaiser doesn't cover Yaz or I'd try that.

Thanks for the help : )