Low fat or low calorie waffle recipe?

• Hi everyone:

Just doing the calorie count and so far so good, the recipes on here, I have kept me interesting in doing this. The more recipes I found the better I think, anyways does anyone a good waffles recipes that they would be will to share. They would be easy to make and freeze and then take to work. Thanks.
  • You know, I commend you for making your own, and kudos to you! No doubt someone will come along with a recipe for you. I love waffles, and keep Eggo Plus Blueberry and Wheat in my freezer constantly - two have 160 calories, 2 grams of fat (0 sat.) and 5 grams of protein. I throw them in the toaster and eat them plain (though I have been known to have one with frozen yogurt and strawberries on as dessert!! ) They are awesome if I am in a hurry!

Good luck!
  • I don't have a specific recipe for you, but any recipe should work by making substitutions. Try using whole wheat flour instead of plain, egg whites instead of whole eggs, and unsweetened applesauce instead of oil. If you do the last one though, you'll have to spray the waffle maker with some pam or they stick horribly. To figure out the exact calories with your changes you can plug your new and improved recipe into www.calorie-count.com

Good luck!
  • I've used the protein pancake recipe for waffles. 1/3 cup nonfat cottage cheese, 1/3 c egg white, 1/3 c oatmeal, with a bit of splenda and vanilla. Blend it together in a food processor or blender. 190 calories for three pancakes. I've also used it for waffles, and they worked out okay. I can't remember how many waffles I got from the batter, and our irons might be different sizes anyway. These are the BEST pancakes I have ever had, and full of protein, low in fat, with soluble fiber from the oatmeal!
  • me some protein pancakes with applesauce and cinnamon on top!!
  • Gina, that does sound good! My current favorite way is to thinly slice a third of a banana, layer the pancakes and banana slices. Take a 1/4 cup of sugar free syrup and 1/2 T. of peanut butter. Microwave those until the peanut butter blends into the syrup (30 - 45 seconds) then pour those over the pancakes and bananas. Reminds me of Elvis' cook saying she fried him banana and peanut butter sandwiches. These pancakes are decadent (but still lo-cal!)
  • I use the "Heart Smart" Bisquick (low fat). A batch calls for 2 TBSP oil, but I get away with using just 1. The calories end up being under 80 per 4" waffle.
  • I use Go-Lean Blueberry Waffles (frozen). You can see the nutritional info here:
    http://www.kashi.com/products/golean_waffles_blueberry
  • Jen, I love the Go-Lean blueberry ones! I put peanut butter and bananas on them if I want a real treat
  • From my point of view it's not the waffle that's bad, it's what you put on it!

I like to use the waffle recipe in the Joy of Cooking (using the lower amount of butter.) One large round waffle ends up being 238 calories. Which isn't bad with a bit of jam or a tiny amount of syrup (I aim for 300-400 calorie breakfasts.) The problem is that I always want to eat more then one. Lol.
  • I also use the protein pancake recipe that Tammy wrote--they are really good. I haven't tried to make waffles from the batter though because I thought the only difference between pancakes and waffles was that there was extra oil in the batter for waffles (according to my Bisquick box anyway!). Anyway, who needs the extra oil--I just make pancakes instead.
  • Thanks for all the tips, much appreciated !!