Old 02-03-2007, 08:35 AM   #1  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Talking How to be a Calorie Counting Geek!

Please list your geeky nerd habits!

1. Always use the grams to weigh foods on your digital scale. 1/2 cup of ff cottage cheese is 113 grams, if you measure out 114 grams, put 1 gram back in the container.
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

Keep a tape measure with your cups and spoons and scale. A medium apple is x number of inches in diameter. You'll be glad you have a tape measure!

Actually, I don't have a tape measure. Everything has its limit and that's where I draw the line.

But that would be pretty nerdy!
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I measure cheese with a tape measure.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:00 PM   #4  
Skinny Chick in Training

S/C/G: 191/178-182???/145

Height: 5' 9"

LOL I do the gram thing, I like the tape measure idea hehe!

Hmmm how about sitting and staring at your plate while you compute how many calories are in what you made and trying to divide it by the number of servings all while your family is looking at you like your trying to use the force on your food.
sumisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:07 PM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I used to have a tape measure--I needed it for baking (e.g., roll out dough to 10 x 10 square). Now I hardly ever bake.

Here are a couple of calorie counting geek things:
  • You check the computer to verify where how many calories you've eaten for the day before you eat a snack. If the internet is down, you don't eat the snack.
  • You are traveling by air and you pack a PB&J sandwich to eat on the plane so you won't have to buy calorie-laden airport food. Because of the security restrictions on gels and liquids, you have to empty out a 3-oz spice jar to bring the peanut butter and jelly (which could both be construed as a gel-like substance) in. You also bring a small spatula and actually make the PB&J on the plane.
  • The only snack food you buy at the airport is a banana and you are really excited about it (excited that a stand at the airport actually sells something healthy and excited to be eating a banana).
  • You can recite how many calories are in almost any food off the top of your head. You have to restrain yourself from constantly telling your friends how many calories they are eating.
  • You spend a ridiculous amount of time at the grocery store comparing the nutritional data for various packages of nuts and dried fruit, hoping to find one that is less than 140 calories per serving. You do this on every weekly shopping trip, despite the fact that the products never change.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:19 PM   #6  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
  • You check the computer to verify where how many calories you've eaten for the day before you eat a snack. If the internet is down, you don't eat the snack.
  • You spend a ridiculous amount of time at the grocery store comparing the nutritional data for various packages of nuts and dried fruit, hoping to find one that is less than 140 calories per serving. You do this on every weekly shopping trip, despite the fact that the products never change.
Those two are TOTALLY me....oh that is hilarious!!! You made my whole morning.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:49 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

you wonder how many calories you burn because everytime something goes in your mouth you have to dash upstairs to log it
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:37 AM   #8  
Bobbi

You make a batch of cookies for your grandkids, take one bite to sample them. But you only chew it up while standing over the garbage disposal, then spit it out. Quickly rinse your mouth out with water so no sugar resides in your mouth.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:30 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
You make a batch of cookies for your grandkids, take one bite to sample them. But you only chew it up while standing over the garbage disposal, then spit it out. Quickly rinse your mouth out with water so no sugar resides in your mouth.
OMG!!!! I thought for sure I was the only one that did this. A little scary, ain't it?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 02:57 PM   #10  
Bobbi

Robin......I know! I know! I actually do that, I didn't make it up. And I wasn't kidding about rinsing my mouth out with water either. Sometimes when DH cooks, he'll dish a plate up for me. I have to take everything off the plate, weigh everything, then put it back on the plate. DH says everything will be cold by the time I get done puttering around. He's right but a calorie counting geek will eat food cold and knowing the calories rather than hot and not knowing.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:03 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 240/207/135

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
  • You can recite how many calories are in almost any food off the top of your head. You have to restrain yourself from constantly telling your friends how many calories they are eating.
This two are so me! While reading these, I thought I was the only one doing these things. Funny!

Fitday runs my life. I consult with it before any form of food goes into my mouth.
athenac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:43 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
OMG!!!! I thought for sure I was the only one that did this. A little scary, ain't it?
Isn't this how we get rid of all those boxes of candy that are leftover from any given holiday? I'm glad to know that I'm not alone here!!! Okay, a bit wasteful, but better to be wasteful than waist-full!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:50 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Like many of us cal counters, I created a spreadsheet which tracks for each day:

calories eaten
calories burned, including basal metabolism
calorie deficit
weight
new weight lows (new numbers rather than up/down fluctuations)
total calorie deficit per week
total calorie deficit between last new low and new new low (so I can determine if my deficits - calories eaten and burned - are accurate)

I must say, this is REALLY motivating me to hit those deficits because I've noticed it really is tracking quite accurately.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:56 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/132-Hit Goal on 12/21/06

Smile Finally, others like me !!

I am so glad to have finally found a website with other calorie counters like me !!

I have lost 65 pounds (and kept it off) for two months and am nutty about calorie counting - it's what works for me.

I created a daily chart that I print off and keep in a 3-ring binder that includes: food eaten, calories, carbs and protein. I have also included a section for my workout information.

I am happy to share it with anyone who is interested.
chrissyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:14 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 178/163/154

Height: 5'6"

Not eating anything unless I know the nutritional value.

Spending hours on line looking up the nutritional value of foods that aren't in fitday.

Before going out to eat, pulling up the menu and calculating the nutritional value of everything on the menu before you can decide what to eat.
beckyh is offline   Reply With Quote