I've found some great recipes on this forum and thought I would return the favor by posting one of my favorite breakfast/snack recipes. I got this when I was doing Weight Watchers, but it fits in great with Phase II.
2 c. uncooked oats
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 c. fat-free or lowfat milk
1/2 c. Egg Beaters (or 2 eggs)
1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce (can substitute LF/FF plain yogurt, or mashed banana)
1/4 c. Splenda
1 t. vanilla extract
1 t. ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 8x8" pan with cooking spray.
2. Combine wet ingredients and then add in dry ingredients. Mix well.
3. Pour mixture into pan, and bake for 35-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
For an 8x8" square pan, I usually cut 9 pieces. The recipe can easily be doubled to fit in a 13x9" pan, and should cook for a little longer than the 8x8, but not much.
This lasts well in the fridge, and can be heated up in the toaster or microwave if desired. Also quite yummy with peanut butter spread on top.
- Add a cut-up apple and some apple pie spices (nutmeg, allspice, etc.), and some ground or chopped walnuts.
- Add blueberries and/or strawberries.
- "carrot cake": add shredded carrots, walnut meal, and crushed pineapple
A note on the oats: I've only ever made this with old-fashioned oats; not sure how well the steel cut will work, but it's worth a try!