3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Breakfast Ideas - Phase 2 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/breakfast-ideas-phase-2-134/)
-   -   Whole Wheat Muffins - 7 Ways (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/breakfast-ideas-phase-2/46897-whole-wheat-muffins-7-ways.html)

Barb0522 09-20-2004 09:39 AM

Whole Wheat Muffins - 7 Ways

One Muffin Recipe…7 Different Ways
Makes: 1 dozen

Basic Muffin Recipe
• 2 Cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour (good with regular whole wheat)
• ½ Cup Granulated Splenda
• 2 teaspoons Baking powder
• 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
• 1 Cup (8 ounces) Vanilla Low-Fat Yogurt or Soy Yogurt (no sugar added)
• ¼ Cup Low-Fat Milk, Rice Milk or Soymilk
• 2 Tablespoons Canola Oil

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Combine the flour, Splenda, baking powder, and baking soda in a mixing bowl and stir together.

Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the remaining ingredients. Stir together until well blended, but don’t over beat. The batter should be medium-thick. If it seems too stiff or dry, add a small amount of additional milk.

Stir in the additional ingredient or ingredients of your choice (see below), then divide the batter among 12 oiled or foil-lined muffin tins.

Bake for 20 minutes, or until the tops of the muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out clean. Let cool until just warm to touch, then transfer muffins to a plate. I would store these in the refrigerator so they don’t get moldy from the moist fruit.

Muffin Variations:

1.Cinnamon Walnut Muffins: Add 1 cup finely chopped nuts, plus ½ teaspoon of cinnamon.

2.Blueberry Muffins: Add 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, plus ½ teaspoon nutmeg, and ½ teaspoon cinnamon.

3.Strawberry Muffins: Add 1 cup of very sweet chopped fresh strawberries, or the equivalent of drained, frozen strawberries.

4.Apple Muffins: Add 1 cup of finely chopped apple, and if you like ¼ cup of chopped nuts and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.

5.Chocolate Chip Muffins: Add ¾ cup of semisweet chocolate chips or mini chips, plus 1 teaspoon cinnamon.

6.Cheddar Muffins: Use plain yogurt instead of vanilla yogurt and only 2 Tablespoons of granulated Splenda. Add 2/3 cups of cheddar cheese.

7. Banana Muffins: Add 1 cup of chopped banana. Or….Combine ½ cup chopped banana with ½ cup of semisweet chocolate mini-chips.

I made one basic muffin recipe tonight and then divided it up by three and made 4 Blueberry, 4 strawberry and 4 chocolate chip muffins. So far I tried the Blueberry and it was delicious! So I had to share. I think you can safely freeze these too, I don't see why not. Hope you enjoy them. – Liz

Note from Barb - I used Hershey's Dark chocolate chips. I couldn't find the whole wheat pastry flour so I tried it with regular whole wheat and they were still light and fluffy. I have ordered whole wheat pastry flour from Hodgson's Mills and will try that when I get it.

CatlaurWill 01-31-2009 11:52 AM

I tried these muffins the other day they were very good. I am going to make blueberry ones today

262mom2three 02-08-2009 11:26 AM

I just made these as half Banana/Choc Chip and half Strawberry. The Strawberry ones cooked a little differently than the B/CC ones so they weren't ready for my kids at the same time. That being said, all three of my kids LOVED the banana choc chip version. I used white whole wheat flour & NF greek yogurt, as that is what I had on hand. The batter required more mik as it was quite dry from the Greek yogurt. They looked good. :) Thanks for a recipe that all of my kids liked...looking forward to trying it.

Chelby29 02-20-2009 10:44 AM

I've made the cheddar muffins and the banana muffins. When I make them again, I'll add a touch of salt to the cheddar muffins. I added toasted pecans to the banana muffins. Had to add milk to both. We all loved them!

blondiebear 08-03-2009 08:33 AM

I made these last night and substituted 1c of almond meal for 1c of the whole wheat flour. They have a nice nutty texture. I mixed in 1c frozen blueberries and 3/4c sugar free chocolate chips. They are just divine. Thanks for posting this recipe barb!!