3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Breakfast Ideas - Phase 2 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/breakfast-ideas-phase-2-134/)
-   -   Peanut Butter Banana Muffins (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/breakfast-ideas-phase-2/268458-peanut-butter-banana-muffins.html)

RiverGirl 10-20-2012 01:32 PM

Peanut Butter Banana Muffins

Flourless Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
makes 12 muffins

Ingredients:
1 cup natural organic peanut butter
2 very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup mashed)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 whole eggs
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup honey (or stevia/other sweetener, to taste)
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Optional add-ins: 1/2 cup chocolate chips, or 1 cup fresh raspberries, or 1/2 cup dried raisins or cherries, or 1 sliced banana

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350F and prepare a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients mix until smooth. At this point, you can fold in one of the optional add-ins, if desired.
Cook until golden, until a tooth pick inserted in the centers comes out clean 15-20 mins.

(Adding the fresh raspberries or dried fruit will make these taste like a ‘peanut butter and jelly’ muffin!)

icelandgirl90 10-20-2012 02:59 PM

thank you so much for the recipe:) It sounds soo yummy!!!

RiverGirl 10-23-2012 10:19 PM

They are quite good... when I first read the recipe I was worried that with all the peanut butter they would be high in calories, but that is not the case, per muffin I get 180 cals & only about 1/2 a daily nut serving.... definately worth a try (plus, they are great at breakfast)

michigangirl 11-07-2012 03:01 PM

Just popping in....

Can you tell me please, how long did you bake these ? Sounds very good, although I have not made flourless muffins before. Thank, Linda

RiverGirl 02-19-2013 08:31 PM

The recipe its self calls for 15 mins @ 350, I find with my oven I have to do it for 18 mins (until golden brown & an insterted tooth pick comes out clean)

***sorry, I didn't realise that I had left out the cooking time in the original recipe post, will fix that now***

KO 10-23-2013 02:05 PM

This sounds great!

TwynnB 12-16-2013 08:26 AM

These are excellent. The second batch, I dropped the cinnamon, they made them a bit weird to me (and added 1/2 c. choco chips!). The only problem is that my DH likes them to and I have to share...

CyndiM 01-15-2014 07:42 AM

We love these. I only had frozen bananas and wanted to use frozen blueberries so added 2 T flaxmeal to absorb extra liquid. They make a nice change for breakfast.

If you haven't checked out Detoxinista you should. She has great recipes and most are Beach friendly or easily tweakable. I also made her her banana walnut bread cookies last night.

ETA - I cut the sweetener to 2T (liquid coconut sugar) and will leave it out completely next time

jekel383 01-19-2014 12:49 PM

These sound delicious!!! Has anyone tried substituting NSA applesauce in place of bananas? Sooty, but I just don't like their taste. I think I will be bold and use applesauce. Joe made a huge batch and didn't add sugar for me :)

RiverGirl 01-19-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jekel383 (Post 4923254)
These sound delicious!!! Has anyone tried substituting NSA applesauce in place of bananas? Sooty, but I just don't like their taste. I think I will be bold and use applesauce. Joe made a huge batch and didn't add sugar for me :)

I've never tried using apple sauce, but please post the results if you do end up using it, love to know how they turned out!

Natasha1534 01-19-2014 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jekel383 (Post 4923254)

I was gonna ask the same thing. I don't like bananas and typically, when a recipe calls for them, I substitute with NSA applesauce. I may try it this week.

jekel383 01-21-2014 06:24 PM

Made them today with applesauce. I used about a 1/3 of a cup. I was surprised how light they are! I skipped the cinnamon as the homemade applesauce had plenty. Also, I added some chopped walnuts and a 1/2 tsp unsweetened dark cocoa powder. I skipped the stevia/sweetener all together. I was afraid if they were a little sweet I might not be able to resist them. I will play around with the recipe a little more, but really pretty darn good!

amandie 01-23-2014 08:41 PM

Okay, non-SBDer here. I tried my best to stay as close to the recipe as I could. The difference was using 1/2 cup of peanut butter (it was all I had on hand and I already had started the eggs and banana before I realized my mistake), added an extra mashed banana, omitted the cinnamon and mixed in 1/2 cup old fashioned oats (half was mixed in and the other half was sprinkled/swirled on top.) I also baked it in a loaf pan instead of muffins.

I cannot believe it looks just like a "regular" banana bread without all that flour! Very excited to try it after it cools down and I will not say a word to the BF either. He's gonna freak, lol.

ETA- holy batman! They taste and look just like banana bread although with a hint of peanut butter! I'm glad I didn't have the whole cup on hand, I think that'd be way too peanutty for me. Thinking about trying this with pecan butter.

KO 02-28-2014 12:24 PM

Has anyone used Stevia? If so how much?

RiverGirl 03-01-2014 03:36 PM

KO I dont use Stevia, and I am not sure if you are referring to the liquid or powder form. However I did a quick Google search and came up with this site... might help answer your question.