Old 11-08-2009, 10:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 277/255/210

Height: 6' 2"

Post Oatmeal Pancake

I'm posting the original version of this recipe first, followed by my 'improvements'.

Roy

Oatmeal Pancake
Servings: 1

From The South Beach Diet Book

Ingredients:
1/2 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
1/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese (or tofu)
4 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Directions:
1. Process the oatmeal, cottage cheese, egg whites, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a blender until smooth.
2. Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add the batter and cook over medium heat until both sides are lightly browned.

I found the pancakes as presented in Dr. Agaston's book to be very dense, almost rubbery. I made a few modifications to create light, fluffy pancakes which won't leave you missing the 'real' pancake experience. Here's how:

Mix everything BUT 3 of the egg whites in a food processor. (Can use a blender, but the mix is too thick and doesn't blend well. If you use a blender, add up to 1/4 cup 1% or skim milk to loosen it.) Add a packet of Splenda to sweeten the mix. Put the oatmeal mixture into a mixing bowl.

Beat the remaining 3 egg whites to soft peaks, add a packet of Splenda, then beat just until the whites firm up to hard peaks. Take 1/4 to 1/3 of the beaten whites and mix it into the oatmeal mixture to loosen it. (Adding it all will deflate the whites.) Then gently fold in the remaining beaten egg whites. Cook as usual, (I used a generous 1/3 cup of batter per pancake) and you have delicious, light, airy pancakes without the carbs!

For a 'syrup', I put some fresh or frozen fruit (Phase 2-friendly) into a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Sprinkle on one packet of Splenda and heat so it releases juices, usually mashing the fruit a bit to extract more. Heat until the juices thicken and keep warm until pancakes are done.

For an added touch of richness, I'll add a small dollop of butter to melt into the fruit at the end. And it's easy to play with this 'syrup'. With blueberries, add some grated lemon peel. With peaches, add a little orange peel. Have fun with different flavors and enjoy some good-for-you, 'decadent' pancakes!

Last edited by HadleyCT; 11-08-2009 at 11:12 PM.
HadleyCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 162/158.4/120

Height: 5'2"

That sounds amazing...my mouth is watering! In fact, I am going to make this tomorrow morning. What are the nutritional stats, for us calorie counters?
jillianfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #3  

The nutritional information is:

Amount Per Serving Calories: 288 | Total Fat: 3g (Saturated: 1g) | Cholesterol: 5mg | Protein: 28g | Carbs: 32mg | Fiber: 5g

This, of course, does not include any syrup you might add.

Last edited by HadleyCT; 11-12-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadleyCT View Post
The nutritional information is:

Amount Per Serving Calories: 288 | Total Fat: 3g (Saturated: 1g) | Cholesterol: 5mg | Protein: 28g | Carbs: 32mg | Fiber: 5g

This, of course, does not include any syrup you might add.
Is the recipe for ONE serving, minus syrup?
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:49 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Yes.
Quote:
Oatmeal Pancake
Servings: 1
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Totally didn't see that...I'm a goober! Thanks!
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:29 AM   #7  

HI, all...

I made other improvisations to these over the Thanksgiving holiday that will give you a little variety (and there are doubtless other ways to alter these to give them a whole new taste):

I used walnuts in place of 1/3 of the oatmeal and threw in some frozen cranberries for a more autumnal taste. A zest of orange would be a nice touch, too. I've also used 1/3 almonds to replace some oatmeal, added lemon zest and a dash of nutmeg, then some blueberries after the batter had been folded together. Could probably use some chunks of sugar-free chocolate for a chocolate chip-type pancake, and I'd probably add some orange zest for a chocolate-orange flavor, which I love. Many ways to play with this one. Hope one of them satisfies your pancake craving. ;^D

Roy
Old 11-30-2009, 08:10 AM   #8  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

I'm not doing SB, but Tom Venuto (BFFM) has a similar recipe. He says to put a diced apple in it. I grate the apple, which lightens the mixture up and makes it less stodgy. The apple with the spices gives a lovely flavour.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:12 PM   #9  

I made this today, it made 3 huge pancakes!

I then cut up a pear, microwaved it for 1 min. with some sweetener, mashed it into a compote, and used it as topping/syrup.

It was very filling!
Dawn415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #10  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

oh my GOODNESS, this was delicious! (I was looking for an oatmeal pancake or a cottage cheese pancake, and here I found them together)... I didn't drain my cottage cheese so that saltiness was nice in there. I topped it with a sliced very ripe pear, a sprinkle of walnuts and a tiny drizzle of honey (I just checked - Dr. A says small amounts of honey OK in Phase 2 )

Of course I tweaked it a little and will continue to do so

I used sugar free Torani syrup in place of the vanilla and sweetener (~ 3 caps full)
I added a pinch of baking powder (don't know if it helped or not)
I used 2 whole eggs instead of 4 egg whites (I have been in to whole eggs recently)
I put it all in a big mixing bowl and used my immersion blender instead of taking out the food processor.

I was pretty dense and grainy (prob because I didn't whip egg whites or use a real food processor) but really, SO GOOD!

What I might change next time:
I think I might try it with 1 whole egg and 1/2 c cottage cheese.
I might try making a couple of smaller pancakes; the one filled my pan and was hard to flip.
I would love to try flavors and/or putting fruit and/or nuts in the batter.
Try adding some flax meal

YUM
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote