Old 02-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #1  
Fatty on a mission

S/C/G: 281/279/230

Height: 5'7

Default I just made the most amazing waffles

DH said they were the best waffles he ever tasted. My son devoured them. My daughter who thinks diet food is gross and filled up on cereal insisted on having one after seeing ours and thought it was delicious. They were so soft and delicate and melt in your mouth, yet substantial.

I'm not 100% sure it's all SBD friendly. Make any corrections if needed. I'm told carob powder is probably allowed if you count it towards sweet treats as you would cocoa powder. You could substitute splenda or cocoa powder and splenda for the carob.

It made about 10 waffles, from memory. I didn't take note..

3/4 cup ff cottage cheese
4 eggs, separated
2 tbsp vegetable oil (or you could probably use melted smart balance)
1/4 cup ground flax seed (I blend whole seeds in the blender to make a soft flour...is this allowed?)
1/4 cup besan flour (made from chana daal, which is a lentil. You could use chic pea flour or lentil flour. I'm thinking these should be allowed, since you can eat lentils and chic peas...)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup carob powder
1/8 cup almond flour
1/2 tsp vanilla powder (or use vanilla extract)
1/4 tsp stevia (or sweetner)
1/8 tsp salt (I use unfiltered sea salt, it's so delicious)

Preheat waffle iron.
Blend the cottage cheese with a hand held blender until smooth.
Add all other ingredients but not the egg whites. Whisk ingredients together.
Whisk egg whites in a separate container.
Fold in egg whites.
Pour about 1/2 cup at a time in to your waffle maker. If it sticks to your waffle iron, you might need to use more oil. It depends on the iron and how non stick it is.

We ate them with more (I know, I know ) smart balance and agave nectar. But you could use SF maple syrup too.
fuzzywuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Sorry but flour made from beans and lentils is not allowed on South Beach, Phase I. The fine grinding makes the GI higher. I think there are other flourless waffle recipes in this section.

Last edited by CyndiM; 03-13-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #3  
Fatty on a mission

S/C/G: 281/279/230

Height: 5'7

Ok, that makes sense about the chic pea flour and the GI. I'd have thought that mixing it with other protein foods like the egg and the cottage cheese would have lowered the GI again though...oh well.
fuzzywuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote