Protein Shake - Phase I

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • This is my standard "quickie" breakfast.

In blender put
    1 cup of water
    2 scoops of protein powder (soy or whey)
    1/3 cup lf cottage cheese
    an egg or equivalent eggbeaters
    Splenda
    1/4 package sugarfree Jello or individual pack of Crystal Lite or some cocoa and instant coffee
    Zap it until the cottage cheese grains disappear.

Calories 273 (208 calories come from protein!)
    Fat 6 grams
    Carbs 3 grams
    Protein 52 grams
  • Oh this is great! My husband has been encouraging me to drink whey protein shakes and being SBD friendly, this is perfect. Thanks so much Ruth!
  • Hey! You must have whizzed right over here from Buddy Up!
  • LOL! I did. It's funny but I've been working on writing down new SBD recipes on index cards today to add to my collection and then I find this. Worked out perfectly. BTW, my husband uses the flavored whey protein like strawberry but are you using plain in this recipe?
  • Yup - plain. I am a simple person. I've seen flavoured but most of them seem higher carb - maybe sugar in some of them?
  • The shake sounds quick and easy - kind of a bone head question, though: is the egg/egg beater raw? If so do you notice and "texture" issues?

I'm always up for ANY quick, non-egg breakfast.

Thanks!
  • Yes, the Eggbeater is raw but pasteurized. You can also use real egg if you are not concerned about salmonella. Texture? You won't even notice the egg, if that's what you mean by texture. I just really zap it to pulverize the tiny bits of cottage cheese.
  • I use cottage cheese in mine also. If anybody feels icky about it, don't worry - it completely mixes up, and makes the shake nice and thick. You'd never know it was there!
  • Quote: Yes, the Eggbeater is raw but pasteurized. You can also use real egg if you are not concerned about salmonella.
    So since Eggbeater is pasteurized you don't have to worry about salmonella?
  • That's right but I don't worry about salmonella anyhow as I know the chickens personally!
  • Ruth, you're putting me right off my eggs.
  • I made this with vanilla flavored whey protein, 1 packet of splenda,and 1/4 tsp of sugar free raspberry jello mix(1/8 of box) and man was it good!
  • I am going to try this with instant coffee to flavor it. I can use Lactaid cottage cheese. The curds are small so I think they will blend easily.
  • Hi Ruth
    Sounds great I think I will try it. Do you notice - I'm finding my way around better.
    joan fay
  • Joan, you'll be an old pro like me soon!