Old 09-17-2010, 06:48 AM   #1  
chubby punk

S/C/G: tick..tick...boom

Height: 5'5"

Default scrambled tofu

ive been a vego for ten years and even though i eat eggs, i picked up this recipe from a vegan ex-boyfriend. vegans live by this stuff. dont be scared of tofu, really, this recipe is not slimy or spongy in the slightest and its really hard to get wrong. it also microwaves really well so you can make a batch and store it in the fridge for later.

1 block of firm tofu (make sure its not silken or that puffy chinese kind)
olive oil or cooking spray
2 tsp tamari and soy sauce
1/2 tsp tumeric
white, red or green chopped onions
vegetables of your choice, but some that go really well include mushrooms, spinach, zucchini, pre-cooked asparagus, red capsicum, steamed broccoli.
salt & pepper

1. open the tofu packet, rinse it for a few seconds and press it for between 10-30mins depending on how much of a hurry you are in! tofu is quite moist and in this recipe you need to squeeze some moisture out to get a better, crumbly texture. if you are unfamiliar, its super easy, just wrap the tofu block in a teatowel or papertowel and set a heavy item, such as a thick cookbook on top.

2. crumble the tofu. to do this, cut the tofu into 8 pieces then use your hands or the tines of a fork to crumble up the pieces. this can sometimes be hard work but dont worry about getting it too fine, some chunks are good.

3. dice your vegies to whatever size you prefer. if you are using vegies that need pre-cooking, heat up a skillet or frying pan with oil or oil spray and saute until almost done. saute the onion until translucent.

4. add the tofu to the pan. cook on high heat for about a minute. add tamari/soy sauce and spices. add vegies and onion if they are not in there already. stir fry for another minute, until the tofu is a nice golden colour (just from the tumeric and tamari coating evenly). dont overcook or this will dry out.

5. season, serve hot and eat with a fork! i really like this with a squirt of mustard on top, or salsa, or both. you can play with the spices to vary the dish to your liking. mexican chilli powder (or cayenne, paprika and cumin) is really good with this too. you could probably even put some beans into this. its a great base for playing with once you start.

if you are getting sick of eggs and yoghurt, try it and let me know what you think!
LaurenBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:02 AM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

we make this with red peppers & mushrooms with some yeast flakes to liven it up. Of course we also like a little melted cheddar soy cheese on it.
I even taught my Mom to make it because she watches her cholesterol (yes, I've tried to tell her she can actually eat eggs but she is sticking to the old info).

Thanks for reminding me. I haven't had it in ages
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:02 AM   #3  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Height: 5'6"

I make my Scrambled "No-Eggs" by cooking onions, red pepper and chopped tofu. Then I make a "cheese" sauce out of nutritional yeast and poor it over the top until it becomes golden. At the very end I throw in some chopped kale for extra nutrition and voila, scrambled "no-eggs".

Yum Yum!
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:01 PM   #4  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I may have to try this! Thanks for all the detail since I have no idea how to cook with tofu.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #5  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

YES! This recipe is so delicious! I can't believe I waited so long to make it. I think it always sounded weird to me, but this is nothing like most tofu dishes... I do eat eggs but I think this might be better than scrambled eggs.

I didn't drain the tofu, just crumbled it straight out of the package into the pan.

The recipe I used is very similar to the one(s) above, from here . I tweaked it of course, cutting the recipe in half and using less cumin and thyme... it was soo good that I ate it all as 1 serving

Stats (with 1 c. broccoli and 1/2 a bell pepper): 269 cal, 14 g carbs (6 g fiber), 17 g fat, 21 g protein

For the Spice Blend:
  • 1/4 tsp ground cumin
  • little bit of fresh thyme, crushed with your fingers
  • 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1.5 Tbsp water
For the Tofu:
  • 1/2 lb firm or extra firm tofu, crumbled [I used Trader Joe's sprouted organic tofu - nice texture for this dish]
  • 1 garlic clove, minced (or more, to taste) [I used garlic powder in the spice mix since I was out of garlic]
  • 1/2 Tbsp olive oil [I used a nonstick pan]
  • 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
  • Fresh black pepper to taste
[I also added 1/2 a bell pepper, chopped, and about a cup of chopped broccoli, both raw]

Directions
  • First blend the spices and salt together in a small cup. Add the water and mix. Set aside.
  • Preheat a large, heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat
  • Add oil to the pan – sauté any raw veggies for 5 minutes
  • Sauté the garlic for about a minute
  • Break the tofu apart into bite-size pieces and sauté for about 10 minutes, stirring often. Get under the tofu when you are stirring, scrape the bottom, and don’t let it stick to the pan; that is where the good crispy stuff is. Use a thin metal spatula to get the job done; a wooden or plastic one won’t really cut it. The tofu should brown on at least one side, but you don’t need to be too precise about it. The water should cook out of it and not collect too much at the bottom of the pan. If that is happening, turn the heat up and let the water evaporate. Conversely, if the scramble seems dry add splashes of water until it’s nice and moist.
  • Add the spice blend and mix to incorporate. Add the nutritional yeast and pepper. Cook for about 5 more minutes. Serve warm.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote