3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Breakfast Ideas - Phase 1 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/breakfast-ideas-phase-1-128/)
-   -   Farmer’s Cheese Pancakes (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/breakfast-ideas-phase-1/175065-farmer%92s-cheese-pancakes.html)

beachgal 06-24-2009 09:29 AM

Farmer’s Cheese Pancakes

Got this from the SBD Daily Dish of 6/24/09:

Quote:

Farmer’s Cheese Pancakes (Phase 1)

Description
These delicious pancakes can be served flat or rolled up. The creamy, semisoft version of farmer’s cheese is best here; it can be found in the dairy section of most supermarkets.
Serves 4

Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes

Ingredients
6 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup semisoft farmer’s cheese
2 teaspoons granular sugar substitute

Instructions
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, 2/3 cup of the cheese, and the sugar substitute. Lightly coat an 8" nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Spoon 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan and cook until pancake is set and edges are starting to turn golden, about 2 minutes. Loosen with a rubber spatula and flip; cook 1 minute more. Transfer pancake to a heatproof platter and place in the oven to keep warm. Repeat for remaining pancakes.

Divide pancakes among 4 plates. Dollop with remaining cheese. Serve warm.

Nutritional information:
Per 2-pancake serving: 206 calories
12 g fat (5 g sat)
2 g carbohydrate
19 g protein
0 g fiber
340 mg sodium

Chelby29 06-24-2009 11:27 AM

I'm going to look for 'farmer's cheese', but don't think I've ever seen it. What is it like? Ricotta? Cream cheese? Cottage?

mizski 06-24-2009 11:47 AM

The type of Farmer's cheese I buy (Friendship brand) is similar in texture to fresh mozzarella. I never tried softening it like you would cream cheese so I don't know if it would work in this recipe.

Farmer cheese is also very easy to make. It is very common in Lithuanian (me) & Polish (DH) kitchens. Here's a recipe for homemade Farmer's cheese but make sure you read the reviews for some very helpful hints & tips. The homemade Farmer's cheese is soft similar in texture & taste to ricotta. :)

p.s. as the homemade cheese only lasts about a week, I make a half batch of this recipe.

CyndiM 06-24-2009 12:27 PM

Have you ever tried it with 2% milk? I'm hesitant to make something with this much fat though the recipe is very tempting.

mizski 06-24-2009 02:05 PM

I make mine with 2% milk. Of course whole milk is tastier. Tried it with fat free milk and it didn't really come out well. Haven't tried 1%...don't know why. Make sure the milk is regular milk and not ultra-pasteurized...it will never work.

One of the reviews suggests using buttermilk. I've been meaning to try that but haven't yet.

ETA: It took me several tries before it came out how I like. My biggest mistake was not heating the milk enough (the drained whey should be yellowish not white-ish). What I eventually also learned is that if it doesn't curdle/set up enough when draining you can dump the whole thing back into the pot & try again.

The cheese can also be pressed if you want a more solid cheese. It's tasty both ways. :)

beachgal 06-25-2009 09:51 AM

Chelby, I buy Friendship brand like Cyndi. It's like a mix between cream cheese and cottage cheese. If you can't find it, I'd try mixing half 1/3 less fat cream cheese and 1% cottage cheese. :shrug:

You might also look online for {replacement and "farmer's cheese"} (without brackets). :)

Loriann7 06-25-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyndiM (Post 2798775)
Have you ever tried it with 2% milk? I'm hesitant to make something with this much fat though the recipe is very tempting.

I don't see milk in the recipe? Am I missing something?

cottagebythesea 06-25-2009 06:25 PM

Loriann, if you are going to make Farmer's Cheese from scratch, one of the ingredients is milk, and that's what Cyndi is referring to.

sarahyu 08-28-2009 12:01 PM

Do you think these would be good the next day? Or is it something that needs to be eaten right afterwards?

I tend to try to cook in batches and make up as much as possible on the weekend so I have plenty of options through the week.

If I find milk on sale, I'll make some of the farmers cheese. It sounds interesting.

Thanks
Sarah in MD

ashsam 10-07-2009 02:12 PM

farmer's cheese

Hi, this is regarding the farmer's cheese recipe. I was reading the recipe on how to make farmer's cheese, it seems to be PANEER which can be found in Indian grocery stores in the frozen section.