South Beach Muffins

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Yum! Thank you I am having one right now...I think I will make two smaller ones next time since it puffed up and over my ramekin...or maybe mini muffins for a quick snack...

Quote: Honest to goodness bread-like muffins. I found these on Recipezaar and had one for breakfast this morning. REALLY GOOD!!! Quick and simple! A great change of pace if you're tired of eggs.

Ingredients

* 1 large egg
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons Splenda sugar substitute
    * 1 teaspoon cinnamon (I use more)
    * 2 teaspoons plain fat-free yogurt
    * 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    * 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
    Directions

1.Spray a microwave safe ramekin or bowl with cooking spray (or use a muffin liner).
    2. Mix the egg and splenda until well combined (I use a fork), add the yogurt and blend well.
    3. Mix in the ground flaxseed, cinnamon and baking powder until well combined.
    4. Pour in ramekin and microwave on high for 1 minute 30 seconds (note the ramekin should be no more than half full since these do rise a lot, if it is too small they will overflow).
    5. These taste best served hot.

Serving: 1

I added some chopped pecans and poured some FF half & half around the base but it really wasn't necessary. It was really good!!!
    ENJOY!
  • I made these tonight but w/ some changes. I only have greek yogurt in my fridge, so I used it. And I wanted a pumpkin spice muffin so I used pumpkin spice instead of cinnamon. I've never had flaxseed before so this was all new for me. It wasn't "bad" per se, but it wasn't what I was hoping it would be. It wasn't as sweet as I wanted it. I'll try it again w/ some more seasoning and splenda.

Also, I have a large ramikin and it still overflowed (it was kinda cool looking, though, LOL). I have to admit, though, that seeing the mixture transform to a muffin in 90 seconds is pretty awesome. The things I've learned on southbeach!!!
  • So I just tried these again but this time I eliminated the cinnamon and threw in some spinach and parmesan. NICE!!!
  • I do love them savory. Apparently it's an old low carb recipe. I found directions online to just make them on a plate and use them as burger buns. We've tried it and it works
  • Savory and making them on a plate sounds wonderful. I hadn't thought of making them that way. Or it could be made sweet on a skillet like a pancake....wow, we can go crazy and make up some really great things.
  • Yum!
    Wow, I just made these like, 5 minutes ago, and they are wonderful. I'm allergic to cinnamon so I changed it up and used lemon zest and a bit of juice instead, and they were fantastic! Great recipe, thank you.
  • These are one of my favorite finds since joining this thread...yum!
  • These sound great! Can you also make them in the oven?
  • Made these again this morning but added some pumpkin pie spice as well. Yummy!!!
  • Wow! Yum!
    I am back on the beach after a six year absence and I was intrigued by this recipe that I had never tried before. Wow it was so great and filling. My changes:
    -2T flax
    -sour cream (light) instead of yogurt
    -teeny bit of vanilla extract
    - no sweetener so I added 1 T of natural peanut butter
    So yummy and very filling! I can't wait to try the savory version to eat with soup or salad. This was my first meal back on the beach -Great start!
  • Just tried these today. Used the original recipe, and it was great. I have a microwave egg poacher tray (from the Dollar Tree) that has three muffin-type wells. Filled the wells half way, and the recipe made 4 smaller muffins. The taste reminded me of apple cinnamon muffins (but without the apples). This is the first time I have ever used flax seed. I got the pre-ground flax seed from GNC. The container is quite large. Since I love this recipe, I will be making many muffin varieties in my future. A cup of tea and 4 smaller muffins makes me think I am cheating

Tomorrow I am going to make them with sauteed onions/celery, sage, and some pre-cooked turkey sausage crumbles. As KO posted previously, I bet they will taste like Thanksgiving stuffing.
  • Awesome to see this - I had only ever made the "Muffin in a Minute" in the Phase 2 Breakfasts section, which is similar but more flax meal. This gives me so many more ideas.

BTW, the Golden Flax Meal giant 3-lb bag from Costco has a really mild flavor, is very affordable ($9 I think, but I'm not sure since it has been so long since I had to buy it) and lasts for a long time at room temperature. Love it.
  • Make ahead?
    Has anyone tried making these ahead of time refrigerating them? I really need something to grab and go in the morning for breakfast, and these are perfect. However I've noticed the most versions it says that their best served warm.

Thanks!!
  • There is a recipe for peanut butter muffins that are good cold. It's somewhere in here

ETA - the ones I am thinking of are Phase 2, do you need a Phase 1 recipe?
  • Hi - I would prefer a Phase 1 recipe to keep my daily carbs down, and still have some room later in the day for fruit or grain if possible. However, I am moving into Phase 2 so those would be ok.

I'm hopeful that these refrigerate well or there is a way to make them grab and go

Thanks!!