80 calorie bran muffins
I have tested this recipe twice and it makes a nice moist bran muffin that my whole family enjoys.
The original recipe has been adjusted by myself to make it lower calorie. I use Splenda and apple sauce in place of higher calorie ingredients. You can use regular sugar with good results but more calories.
1 1/2 cups wheat bran
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup skim milk
1 tablespoon white vinegar (to sour the milk)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup Splenda granular (or stevia, white sugar, or other substitute)
1/3 cup Splenda brown sugar blend (or light brown sugar)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 large egg
Preheat the oven to 375 degree
Insert muffin liners into a 12 count muffin pan
1. Mix the milk with vinegar and let it sour for five minutes
2. Mix the soured milk with the bran and let it stand for another five minutes
3. Add applesauce, egg and vanilla to the bran mixture and stir
4. Stir sugars into the bran mixture
5. Combine flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon in a separate bowl
6. Add dry mixture to bran mixture and stir to combine
7. Evenly divide mixture between 12 muffins
8. Bake @375 for 16-18 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Makes 12 servings
Nutrition per muffin (according to nutritiondata.com) :
Saturated fat: 0
Failure is only a fact when you give up. Everyone gets knocked down, the question is: Will you get back up?
My progress pictures (older thread)
After two major surgeries, I am back to give and gain support. We can do this!