3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Maintainers > Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss

Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Weight Loss And Skin FAQs

Old 07-03-2007, 08:54 PM   #46
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Pain and recovery time vary from person to person and also depend on the type of surgery.

I didn't think it was so painful, more uncomfortable than anything else since I had restricted movement in the areas which were operated on. I can say that at 2 weeks out from all of them I felt fine and couldn't believe that I had just had surgery a couple of weeks beforehand.

My "Happy" Weight:

****Charlotte****
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:28 PM   #47

S/C/G: 212/190'ish/125

Height: 5' 2"

WOW! Great thread!

I saw the Discovery Health Channel show in June about removing excess skin and was freaked by it.

As I understand what the Dr.'s said in the program, a lot of the reason skin doesn't continue to shrink is because of lack of blood flow to the skin.

My plan to increase bloodflow to my skin as I lose weight is to regularly use salt and/or sugar scrubs. They exfoliate, moisturize and increase bloodflow to the skin. I have NO MEDICAL REASON THIS WILL WORK, I'm just following my gut.

After reading Meg's post I also think I'll get started on a program of vitamin C and bioflavonoids. It can't hurt!!
Old 12-12-2007, 02:12 AM   #48

I have extra skin in the stomach area and probably need some sort of breast reconstruction. I was much more obsessed with this before I met my current partner. He loves my body as is, and actually thinks I should gain some weight (gotta love Latin men). I am totally scared to get any type of plastic surgery although I HATE the sight of my stomach, but also whether or not I will have children is a concern for me.
Koren Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:35 PM   #49

S/C/G: 330lb/165lb/155lb

Height: 5'6"

awesome thread, absolutly fantastic, answered a lot of my questions

wishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:34 PM   #50
FINISH WHAT YOU START!

S/C/G: 301.8/245.8/135 HW/CW/GW

Height: 5'6.5"

Smile I totally agree with wishes!

i have spent the past three and a half hours reading all of the extra links and the FAQs as well. I can honestly say that this was one issue that had NOT crossed my mind.

I think what you have done, Meg, Mel and Chica, et al, is clarify a lot of the misinformation that surrounds this issue. I always thought my biggest problem was just losing the weight since that has been my biggest problem for so long.

I will admit that when I first read some of these threads I felt intimidated by the prospect of having a worse looking body than I started out with but I am also a person who does like to be informed when I am making a decision and this is a huge decision. Who knew??? I know that I didn't!

Thanks again. I am looking at my 401K in an entirely different light right now. Hmmmmmm, what will be the first.

I would like to have a boob lift even before I hit my goal weight. I thought that might be one of my "non-food" treats to myself when I hit around 185 lbs or so. I'll let you know if I end up doing that.

Again, thanks for all the hard work that went into this very informative thread.

Last edited by pamatga : 03-11-2008 at 05:35 PM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:17 PM   #51
Co-Mod

Thanks Pamatga!
And much thanks to Meg and Mel for organizing and researching all this!!

Like you, loose skin had never crossed my mind as a possibility until it started happening. Then I tried to become knowledgeable on the topic so that I could make informed decisions.
I am truly very pleased when I can help inform people about such life changing big decisions. If my experience can serve another besides myself then that makes it even more worthwhile.

My "Happy" Weight:

****Charlotte****

Last edited by shrinkingchica : 03-11-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:15 AM   #52

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

pamatga-

This is just my opinion, but I would reconsider getting your breast lift at 185, if your goal is 50 pounds less than that. That is a CONSIDERABLE amount of weight! Breast tissue is composed of a lot of fat, and there will be a change in your bra size during that 50 pound area.

I would hate to see you get them done and looking great, and then when you get down 30, 40, or 50 pounds, find that you need it done again.

Start weight after baby #3: 233.9
Current weight: 143
90 pounds lost!
Ambriehl Saroj
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:02 PM   #53

Height: 5'2

Thanks to you all. This is very informative. Aphil do you have lose skin with all the exercise you do with your belly? I was thinking on signing up for some hulla dance class and belly dance class to see if my belly would tigh up. I have three kids, and i know i have some muscle under all the skin. I have though about surgery but the anesthesia and not waking up scares me. It makes me think too much about my kids. What if i don't wake up or something goes wrong.
EJAEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:08 AM   #54

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

EJAEL-

Yes, I still have some loose skin in my belly. Belly dancing, and the strength training and yoga that I also do, have given me a lot of muscle in my belly area, but it makes the muscle tighten up-not the skin over it.

However, the more muscle you have, the better the loose skin looks. Anyone who has lost a lot of weight and has loose skin, will look better if they have more muscle mass from exercise.

Start weight after baby #3: 233.9
Current weight: 143
90 pounds lost!
Ambriehl Saroj
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #55

Height: 5'2

Why do you have to use a girdle after surgery? I have look around to find the why the use for the girdles and can't find any. I found info on corset which it was really good. if its use regularly and is well appropiate to your body it will help your reduce your waist size and shape your body. ? Hispanics new moms use girdle right after giving birth so the skin comes back to their normal size and is not all saggy. tha's what they said. So, i was thinking that probably; if i use girdle now that im lossing weight my skinwill shrink too. any advise?
EJAEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:07 PM   #56
Co-Mod

The "girdle" is actually a compression garment one must wear for a couple months after sugery in order to decrease swelling. Compression garments are used after most plastic surgeries, no matter what the surgery was on (legs, arms, etc.) because of the risk of severe swelling.
The compression garments/girdles will do nothing to actually shrink your skin. No garment can do that. Unfortunately.

My "Happy" Weight:

****Charlotte****
Old 05-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #57

S/C/G: 228 in 2006/185/160

Height: 5'4"

When you have a tummy tuck the skin on your abdomen is loosened up to your ribs in order to pull the skin tight. For your skin to heal and everything to reattach to the muscle it needs to be held firm, that was my explanation for the compression garment. And as mentioned helps with the swelling. I developed a love/hate relationship with mine. It drove me crazy but I felt like my guts were going to fall out without it! LOL
Old 05-20-2008, 03:38 PM   #58
Taking It Back

S/C/G: 199.8/189.2/134.2

Height: 5'6.2"

Hi, I am not a maintainer but had a question. Have any of you kept doublechins after losing the weight? I am not sure how those work. . .

Overall Goal (by November 8?):
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:44 PM   #59
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/202/182

Height: 5'6"

Doublechins are partly genetic. (I've seen skinny girls with double chins, larger girls without) If it is just fat, then it goes away but really depends on your own genetics on what point you lose it if you ever had.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:19 PM   #60

S/C/G: 358/349.8/200

Height: 5'11"

Great posts thanks for the info, I will probably need to get excess skin removed when i get to goal weight...but am keeping fingers crossed
sweetfelinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.