Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 01-30-2014, 04:44 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 240/173/160-ish

Height: 5'7"

Underwater ~ Good luck with your surgery next week. I'm going to anxiously look for updates (in fact, I would LOVE to chat with you off-line if you are interested.)

I've just booked my date for middle of March for a Breast Augementation and Abdominoplasty, so I'm already getting nervous and stressed about it.
Humber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:00 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Height: 5'6"

Thank you Humber! I'll PM you my info now, always happy to chat, but especially so since I won't be working for at least a week after my surgery and I'll have lots of time on my hands
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #33  
New-b

S/C/G: 219/ticker/155

Height: 5ft

Tried to inbox you, don't know what I'm doing wrong oh well I've got my TT on schedule for 4/22
WannaB2cute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #34  

I'm 3 days away now! I have all my prescriptions and supplies. I started washing with a special soap today called Hibiclens. Tomorrow I have to do a bowel prep (UGH!) because my surgeon says he can get better results when his patients are "empty". I'll try to check in again this week, if not, I'll see you ladies on the "flat side!"

<3
Old 02-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #35  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Thinking of you!!! Good luck! Please take some pictures.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:12 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I know you probably won't see this for a while but I'm wishing you

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

and

HAPPY RE-BIRTHDAY!!

I am so excited for you!!!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #37  

I made it! Woo hoo! I am feeling a lot better now than I did on Friday night and Saturday. I'll try to type out a quick synopsis for other people thinking about this surgery.

First of all, choosing your surgeon. I had consultations with 6 surgeons. The more, the better because they are all different. One of them told me I needed a vertical incision, resulting in a anchor-shaped scar, and if he was the only doctor I consulted with, I'd probably have that extra scar now. The others all said they could do the hip-to-hip scar only, which is much preferred so I can maybe someday wear a bikini.

Also, only one of the doctors didn't use drains. This is the one I chose, but not only because he didn't use drains. This was my favorite doctor as far as before & after pictures and also he seemed to be really well versed with the latest techniques, hence not needing drains. I just liked his really scientific, detailed, yet artistic approach. He was also the doctor who felt he needed the longest in the OR (7.5 hours!) and the 2nd most expensive.

I had 2 consultations with him - he was the first doctor I met with, so then I met with him again after meeting with all of the others. On the 2nd appointment, I put it my deposit for surgery and we started looking for a date. We needed to find a day that worked for me, my mom, the surgeon, and the surgery center. In the end, it wound up being February 7th - my 30th birthday!

In January, I did a pre-op appointment that involved a more detail-oriented physical exam, discussion of all the risks, instructions for before and after, and some pictures. At that appointment, I agreed to stop drinking because alcohol constricts blood vessels and can affect healing. (Not that I was ever a big drinker, but this meant no beer at my birthday party or for the superbowl, both times I would normally have 2-3 beers.)

Last Tuesday, 3 days before the surgery, I started washing with a special soap called Hibiclens. This is not required by every surgeon, but my doctor asks you to do so. 2 days before the surgery I did a bowel prep, also not common, but my doctor says he gets the best results when his patients are "empty." It was rough, but even if it helped a little, totally worth it.

Friday morning, I woke up at 5 am and showed with the Hibiclens soap one last time. We drove to the surgery center and arrived at about 6:30. I was taken back by a nurse and my temp and blood pressure were taken. Then I put on a gown and long stockings and a nurse put in an IV. I was so happy she got it on the first try - I am not good with needles!

My doctor asked that I wear a bikini bottom to the surgery so he can try to get the scar to fall underneath it. It's very important to realize that this isn't a "sure thing" - you can still wind up with a scar that falls above a bikini bottom, but my doctor was trying as hard as he can to make sure it's low.

He marked me up and I got back into bed. Then it was time for my mom and husband to say "good bye." I started to lose it at this point with tear in my eyes. As they started to roll me to the surgery room, I really started crying. I was so scared! I hadn't has surgery since my tonsils were taken out when I was 13 years old and that was a really short procedure. I had a great nurse named Bridgette from France who has asked if I ever been to Paris (I have) and she told me to close my eyes and think of Paris. At that point, we had made it to the room, I scooted onto the operating table and the Anesthesiologist came in and said hello (I had also spoken with him on the phone the night before and met him in pre-op) and I don't remember falling asleep.

Wow this is getting long… more later

Last edited by Underwater; 02-10-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #38  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Thank you for the update.

I glad everything went well and you seem to be recovering nicely!
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #39  

I woke up in recovery feeling very "out of it." I guess I had imagined my mom and husband being there, but they were not allowed back yet. I remember feeling pain and they offered me something oral or Dilaudid in my IV. Well I had only heard tales of Diluadid and let me tell you, they are all true. I was back to sleep and up again 90 minutes later with my mom and husband there. It was time to try to get up and on my way home if possible. When I sat up, I became nauseous and they gave me a pill under my tongue which helped. I haven't yet vomited during this recovery and am very grateful!

The ride home was rough but I was glad to be home and not in a hospital. I got into my recliner, propped my legs up with a couple of pillows and took a pain pill and went to sleep. I could sleep about 2 hours at a time, then would watch TV or read for an hour and go back to sleep.

My first trip to the bathroom was tough. I was bent over at almost 90 degrees and half leaning on my husband who couldn't support me well in that position. I had a hard time controlling my pee muscles. Thankfully they weren't leaking pee, but I hard a hard time letting them "open" so that I could pee, if that makes sense. I sat on the toilet for 20-30 minutes, peed enough so that I felt satisfied, and struggled to get back up and to the recliner. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to feel having to pee so I went back to the toilet every couple of hours. It was good that it got me up and moving around, and by post-op day 2, I felt like I could pee with more control, which felt really nice.

Day 2 and 3 have been better. I had my husband go out and rent a walker for $24 for a month to help me get around. This has been priceless! I can get around on my own and I don't seem to have the back pain that other people have mentioned.

The tummy pain ebbs and flows and it was worse day 2 than it is today. I spend almost all of my time on my recliner or going back and forth to the bathroom. One note about the bathroom - I read to take Milk of Magnesia to help with constipation but when I did I just got diarrhea, which was not pleasant. So maybe don't take it until you feel you are constipated. I have been reading and watching TV.

On Day 1 I was taking 2 oxycodone pain pills every 4 hours. I have since transitioned back to 1 pill every 8 hours. I just took my first walk down the hallway of my apartment building and back. Still with the walker, but I am walking more upright than I did when I first got here.

Tonight I'm excited to have my first meal that isn't eggs, toast, or grilled cheese.

So thats all for now, I am about 72 hours from getting out of surgery at this point. If you have an questions just let me know
Old 02-10-2014, 08:08 PM   #40  

I had very little pain- hope that's true for you, too! I took Miralax to soften rather then a laxative and that worked perfectly.

I had a little more trouble with sitting since mine was a 360 cut.

Sounds like you are doing fantastic!!!

Jen
Old 02-10-2014, 09:51 PM   #41  

Jen, do you remember how many days you took the prescription pain meds? I am now in my 3rd day post op and down to 1 pain pill every 6 hours. I see my doctor tomorrow, so I will ask him, but I'd love to make the jump to Tylenol. Of course, everyone's advice has been to "stay ahead" of the pain, so I am worried about pushing myself off the good stuff.

I am hoping I'll be well enough to go to work on Tuesday. I work at a desk job and could go in for a half day and work my way back up to 8-9 hours if needed. Do you remember how long you took off work?
Old 02-10-2014, 10:06 PM   #42  

I took off 2.5 weeks but I had the luxury of having a ton of sick time built up. Going back to work was not painful but I got really tired and since I work a desk job, sitting upright in an office chair was uncomfortable. If you can start back 1/2 days I would highly recommend that.

The most painful part for me was the Ab repair, NOT the incision. AND my doc always uses a pain pump. So for the first 3 days I had meds delivered directly into my abs. So I took a TOTAL of I think 6 Percocet during the entire recuperation time. I only took a pill if I felt pain.

Hope that helps!!!

Jen
Old 02-11-2014, 11:13 PM   #43  

Went to the doctor today and he says everything looks really good. He showed me how to apply prescription cream and then called it into my pharmacy. He took some pics and made follow up appointment for next week.

Then I went to the DMV and got my handicapped parking permit. It's valid for 1 month and will really help me get back to work next week. Normally I park on the 3rd floor of a parking garage 200 yards aways.

Then we went to Target and picked up even bigger underwear - my doctor thinks my "big" underwear aren't big enough! It was nice using my handicapped parking permit and then a mart cart - until the mart cart died in the middle of the store and I had to walker my way out :P

Finally we picked up my prescription cream and headed home. It was a big outing!

At home I had something to eat and took a short rest before getting into the shower. Oh, and what a shower it was. I washed my hair twice then conditioned it and washed my body with dial antibacterial. Then I used the prescription cream and covered by incision with gauze. Then I put my foam pad and binder back on and here I am in my recliner - phew! I think I will sleep well tonight!
Old 02-11-2014, 11:28 PM   #44  

Also I have some before & after surgery pics in a bikini bottom, if you want see them, send me a PM. Right now I'm not ready to post them online
Old 02-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #45  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I came to say happy birthday and good luck with the surgery, but I'm a few days late. :-(

Happy belated birthday!!!!
And good luck on a speedy recovery!!!

Hugs
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote