Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 12-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

Default Anyone else a tiger?

Well I am starting to flatten out, yey, but theres a nay too. As I flatten out my stretch marks are much more noticeable. I guess the light hits them differently when it doesn't have to bounce around a big belly. I am very pale, I am whiter than a white fence and these marks make me look like some mystical white tiger with even whiter stripes. XD Not pleased but I did expect this. I'll try my best to make them fade but I know they will never fully go away without surgury. Anyone else a tiger?
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 191/171/153 now 185/185/155

Height: 5'3"

I'm a tiger, too.
ImImportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #3  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

My stretch marks are becoming more visible as I lose weight
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #4  

I was hoping they'd be lesser with weight loss but they are worse lol
Old 12-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/177/135

Height: 5'7

Haha, a tiger! I like that! I have my stripes. I have a bunch all over the my belly from where I gained 40 lbs. very quickly a few years ago, within a two to three month span, then some on my hips. I've been curious what they will look like as I lost weight, interesting that they've become more visible for you as you've gotten smaller.

Last edited by DecemberSun; 12-30-2012 at 03:20 PM.
DecemberSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5'8

They become MORE visible?! *sigh* I have them all over.
RachelRawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #7  

yes more visable. I don't know if they will go back to being less visable as my skin adjusts or if thats just it lol
Old 12-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've been covered in stretch marks since junior high. Once a classmate in the locker room asked me what the stretch marks were, and I told her they were from being fat.

Another girl said, "no they're not - they're from being pregnant."

I wasn't even 13. Luckily embarassment doesn't usually prevent me from thinking quickly and I laughed and said, "Right, some of you have known me since kindergarten, don't you think someone would have noticed if I'd been pregnant?"

I laughed it off, but I was devastated. I also hated that they were bright red and purple, so they were very visible from a great distance.

I always hated them until I saw a comedian a few years ago talk about how sexy he found his girlfriend's "tiger stripe" stretch marks. By then most of my stretch marks had turned silver white (I'm also extremely pale - almost blue).

When I told my hubby this, he laughed and said, "you know they are kind of pretty."

Of course he also tells me that my scarred right breast is his "favorite" because it reminds him how lucky he is not to have lost me to breast cancer (I had a lump removed and biopsied that turned out to be scar tissue from a car accident, but for a while we were concerned it might be stage 3 cancer. The doctor did a great job of hidding the scar for the most part - though you can still see it close up, but when I lie on my back the breast has a divot, so it looks like a volcano with the nipple sitting in the crater of the volcano).

Because of my sense of humor and optimistic outlook, I usually can see the beauty (or at least the humor) in the volcano booby and the tiger stripes. They both do make me feel beautiful in a quirky way. I like that.

However, while I love the tiger stripes and even the disfigured breast, I'm not so fond of the receding hairline (it's not quite female-pattern baldness, but the hair is definitely thinner than I'd like) and the loose skin I'm developing at my upper arms and thighs from the weight loss.

I'm a bit concerned that by the time I get to goal weight, I'm going to look like a giant flying squirrel. I tell myself that I'll have to learn to convince myself that enormous, blue-white, hairless, tiger-striped, flying squirrels are incredibly sexy.

Last edited by kaplods; 12-30-2012 at 08:01 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #9  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

I'm a tiger! Lol they didn't get better with weight loss...they are permanent scars after all, but they didn't get worse. I have them on every inch of my thighs, butt, hips and two scraggly long ones on my stomach. I also have few on my breasts and even calves!

However, f%#* it! Seriously. I've lost the weight and they are scars. THEY WILL NEVER GO AWAY. I still rock a bikini and I'm sure everyone can see them...how could you not?

Maybe it is because I struggle with skin blemishes, that stretchmarks really don't bother me.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:50 PM   #10  

im just lucky im pale so they are pale too. im not too concerned about it, it cant be fixed like loose skin can, so theres no use worrying about it really but its interesting to see all my fellow tiger girls.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #11  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

I'm a tiger too, they mark the sides of my stomach and hips..but whatever

Maybe when I lose the weight I'll be a leopard and have spots tattooed on me
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I'm a bit concerned that by the time I get to goal weight, I'm going to look like a giant flying squirrel. I tell myself that I'll have to learn to convince myself that enormous, blue-white, hairless, tiger-striped, flying squirrels are incredibly sexy.
You are a really inspiring person. Also, this is the funniest thing I've read in months! My laptop did not appreciate the sudden water bath.
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 255 195.8 150

Height: 5'6

stretch marks arent a big deal (they are but they arent) you would be surprised how many people have stretch marks. alot of men even have them from gaining weight or bulking up with muscle. most women who have had kids also have stretch marks.. and alot of people get them just from growth spurts. i used to be really ashamed of my stretch marks but they are to be expected when your over weight and i have never dated someone who minded mine or didnt have them also.

over time they will fade to a pale white, they will never go away but they shrink and become less noticeable. ive also heard that tanning can hide them or even shrink them.
deadkittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 171/130/108

Height: 5'0

I'm a tiger too !
i was stress about it before, but i read somewhere : stretch mark is just scars that remind us of our weight loss war, and it has change my view of it
nasu27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:29 AM   #15  

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasu27 View Post
I'm a tiger too !
i was stress about it before, but i read somewhere : stretch mark is just scars that remind us of our weight loss war, and it has change my view of it
I like that! I will try to think of them like that from now on. Something to be proud of instead of embarrassed of.
RachelRawr is offline   Reply With Quote