Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 07-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

Default Figuring Out Body Shape

Hello folks! So I'm having some trouble trying to identify my body type. I look at myself in pictures, and in the mirror, and I just can't seem to figure it out!

When you look at me from the back, and even sometimes from the front, I don't appear as big/heavy as I really am. I'm very thick, if that makes sense, so when you see me from the side, that's where you can really see the weight. I'm leaning towards pear-shape because I do carry a lot of weight in my hips and thighs, but I also have a large stomach/belly, which is more a trait of an apple shape.

I'm just trying to get a visual of what I'm going to look like at goal weight...right now all I can see is this large frame, and I'm slightly worried that my goal weight won't look good on me, that my frame is too big. Can your frame change? When I suck my stomach in, my ribs seem so big, and I can't visualize myself being thinner than maybe a size 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0432.jpg (24.0 KB, 101 views)
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:07 AM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I think when you lose weight, you'll be an hourglass...but it's really hard to tell because you never know where you'll lose first. I don't think you're a pear...what are your thighs like? My lower body is definitely super heavy and disproportionate to my upper body. Don't worry about how you'll feel at goal weight because you can always reassess at that time. I wish I had better answers...maybe someone with a similar body type has posted before but right now, my guess is that you're....actually, I think you're a rectangle because check this out: http://howtolosebellyfatsoon.com/ban...-you-have.html
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/202.2/150

Height: 5'5"

You look pretty similar to my body type and I'm an hourglass when I'm thin! I lose and gain pretty evenly all over my body. Which is nice when gaining but hen losing it can take a bit to notice because its so even everywhere it's not as drastic.
shutterbugmama84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

Thanks ladies!! I looked at that picture you linked, Luckymomma, and I agree I could be a rectangle or an hourglass. I spent about 30 minutes in front of a full length mirror and did find that most of my weight was evenly distributed, and I wasn't "bottom-heavy" like a pear shape. I'm starting to see my waist tuck in a bit, so I'm pretty excited to see what I'm going to look like!

You're right, Shutterbugmama, that it doesn't look very noticeable when you lose with this kind of body shape...I don't see it, most of my friends don't see it, my dad sees it a little in my face and neck (if I push my shoulders forward a little I can see collarbones OMG!!!)...I haven't seen my soon-to-be father-in-law since I was at 215lbs, so when I see him next maybe he will let me know if he sees it.

ty so much for your help!!
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #5  
8 mos maintainer

S/C/G: 212/154/154

Height: 5' 7.5"

I always assumed I was a mesomorph but now that I'm in the "Normal BMI" range I can wrap my fingers past each other on my wrists. My husband says it's weird.

My waist was very resistant to dropping weight for a long time. I think it took 10 months for my waist to lose 3 inches and then in 4 months I lost 5 inches even though my rate of weight loss was unchanged. So there may be periods of greater responsiveness. You just never know till you try.

I have been trying to look at my shoulders instead of my lower body, because even at goal I still feel like I have too much padding around there, but a lot of it is the angle I'm looking from.
TriciaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

Here's a Body Type Calculator that I've found helpful. According to it, I'm a banana. That actually makes sense to me as I've never really had a clearly defined waist. My hip and bust measurements right now are exactly the same, my waist is 3 inches smaller.
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #7  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

My opinion is you're a brick.

Hope that helps
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

I think you are a rectangle/ brick/ banana ( hate those terms) with Apple tendencies. You will notice as you lose the apple will turn more into a straight up and down rectangle then more hourglassy but generally you will keep your same general shape.

I am a rectangle with a larger bust and can oscillate between dressing hourglass or rectangle.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #9  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

I think you look like a pear-to-be. It's a great shape!
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #10  
From Lazy to Light!

S/C/G: 215/Ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

I'm struggling with this too because as I'm losing weight my body shape is changing. I'm transition from an hourglass into a pear shape as it seems my hips are the last place to be losing fat. I'm hoping to get my hourglass figure back because I liked having curves...not curve.
LovelyLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyLeah View Post
I'm struggling with this too because as I'm losing weight my body shape is changing. I'm transition from an hourglass into a pear shape as it seems my hips are the last place to be losing fat. I'm hoping to get my hourglass figure back because I liked having curves...not curve.
I seem to be the opposite, I don't lose my chest (well haven't yet from 320-202) so as everything else shrinks I get closer to hourglass
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote