Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 04-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo2 View Post
Hmmm ....so People who were born in those years are the only ones who "feel morally superior", Sound like someone is possibly being Should I Say Judgmental perhaps? Just wondering???
I think I wasn't very clear. I was just asking a Q so no judgement here... My Q is this... At a time when obesity was less prevalent, for example the 40s, 50s, 60s (but not meaning to exclude other decades before the "obesity epidemic", were people more upstanding, as evidenced by their not letting themselves get fat? It seems to me that if obesity is the fault of the individual, then something has happened during or since the 80s and 90s to make us each less responsible people. When it is like a widespread problem affecting people who are diverse in terms of background, ethnicity, socio-economic level and geographical location, it is hard to wrap my head around how they all came to be acting irresponsibly about this issue. KWIM?

I'm curious as to what you might have thought I meant???

ETA: Sorry, Roo. I think you and I must be on very different wavelengths bc you similarly read me to be saying something completely different from what I was saying yesterday. Sorry about the disconnect!

Last edited by rubidoux; 04-18-2013 at 03:41 PM.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #32  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet2727 View Post
In reading this thread, I just had an epiphany.

I'm done with blame and fault.

It truly no longer matters. What matters now is that I'm losing weight and getting healthy. I shan't be dwelling on the rest of it anymore. Y'all, that's quite an accomplishment for me!
So true. I like that!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
I think I wasn't very clear. I was just asking a Q so no judgement here... My Q is this... At a time when obesity was less prevalent, for example the 40s, 50s, 60s (but not meaning to exclude other decades before the "obesity epidemic", were people more upstanding, as evidenced by their not letting themselves get fat? It seems to me that if obesity is the fault of the individual, then something has happened during or since the 80s and 90s to make us each less responsible people. When it is like a widespread problem affecting people who are diverse in terms of background, ethnicity, socio-economic level and geographical location, it is hard to wrap my head around how they all came to be acting irresponsibly about this issue. KWIM?

ETA: Sorry, Roo. I think you and I must be on very different wavelengths bc you similarly read me to be saying something completely different from what I was saying yesterday. Sorry about the disconnect!

What changed was easily available mass marketed foods and junk foods. We had that in the industrial era, but it wasn't until the 40's, 50's and 60's it became the norm.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoesmom View Post
What changed was easily available mass marketed foods and junk foods. We had that in the industrial era, but it wasn't until the 40's, 50's and 60's it became the norm.
Right, but the obesity epidemic didn't start until the 80s. So, I'm wondering what made people start behaving so irresponsibly at that point. Do you think that the mass produced junk actually caused us to be less responsible people? If so I wonder how much money was made by the sellers of those foods and also how it came to be that our govt was recommending that we eat the cheap high profit foods.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #35  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

Whoops...wrong thread.

Last edited by ChickieBoom; 04-18-2013 at 03:57 PM.
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #36  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:

I am sorry too if we are on different wave lengths ! And Not a problem cuz there is no right or wrong answers ...just different .... Which in my opinion is great....life would be Sooo boring and nothing would ever change if people did not see things differently!

I believe it is healthy and enlightening to hear and learn how others see things:hug.
I hope you know I value your opinion and am glad for everyone that has the courage to stand my their convictions....and I'm saying that without Judgement !
LOL
Roo2
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

My fault. Having been obese from a young age, I think there were contributing factors, and the mistreatment I received along the way wasn't constructive or change-inducing...but that does not negate the fact that this is my fault. I have known for years about the risks and how-to's of weight loss...and so I accept that I hold all the power now.

That's not to say we shouldn't strive to improve the health atmosphere, and the treatment of the overweight/obese.
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Right, but the obesity epidemic didn't start until the 80s. So, I'm wondering what made people start behaving so irresponsibly at that point. Do you think that the mass produced junk actually caused us to be less responsible people? If so I wonder how much money was made by the sellers of those foods and also how it came to be that our govt was recommending that we eat the cheap high profit foods.
I'm in a public health class right now and the prof. suggested that this epidemic did start earlier than the 80's, it just wasn't until the 80's that the epidemiology studies began amassing. Personally, I have no idea when it started, but it seems like a combo of cheap food, improving economy (post-depres.), and increasingly sedentary jobs.
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #39  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
All I'm saying Joe is a leaflet or a TV advert would have been nice.

Despite whose fault it is if I am obese, we all pay for it after all. Which needs bigger Government.

And have you seen the BS on those websites you kindly provided? Tips like "Watch your weight". Er, yeah. I know I'm big. Now what?

Nothing. Zip. Diddly. On how to actually lose weight. It was much the same at the doctor. Exercise more was all I got. Or join a gym. Yeah right. That did not work for me.
Wait a second! You said that nobody told you to use a scale, but now you're saying "I know I'm big, but now what?" If you knew you were big, you knew to get on a scale to find out HOW big. I think sometimes its just easier to bury your head in the sand and NOT find out. Heck,I did that for a LONG time while I ignored my obesity problem.

I think the blame game is often a cop-out. We hold the key to solving our weight issues in our hand. Whether we use it or not is up to us. Yes, some people might have bigger obstacles to overcome than others. But it can be done. Many people on 3FC have shown that to us. So, when I hear people say that the information wasn't available to them to let them lose weight. My response is... you weren't looking hard enough. Again, in my case, I wasn't look at all for a long time.

Last edited by joefla70; 04-18-2013 at 05:05 PM.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #40  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Quote:
The people coming up in those generations didn't want for much as a rule. I know in my mom's house, both her parents nearly starved during the depression, so they never limited food. Ever. I think in general things were just "easier". Fast food, less home cooking, more women in the workforce....
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #41  
2Hot2BFat

S/C/G: 368/344/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I am/was fat because of my actions, 100%.
Megan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #42  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Default re:

Quote:
I'm done with blame and fault.
I think it's worthwhile for some people, like me, who were on medications for a very long time that can have a side effect of weight gain to be aware of those things so as not to get on them again if possible.

Yes, I overate. Why? Was it part of the effect of the medication or just myself? Who knows. I just know NOW to be fully aware of both - food intake AND medications.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #43  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post
I think it's worthwhile for some people, like me, who were on medications for a very long time that can have a side effect of weight gain to be aware of those things so as not to get on them again if possible.

Yes, I overate. Why? Was it part of the effect of the medication or just myself? Who knows. I just know NOW to be fully aware of both - food intake AND medications.
This may be semantics, but I think reasons are different from blame and fault. Reasons are more neutral and objective and would definitely be important to know (medications, medical issues etc). I see blame and fault more as having a very negative connotation. Like I said, maybe sematics here, but I agree with you, Vex, that knowing the reasons WHY are important. To me, blame and fault have a shame factor involved in them -- whether one is shaming themselves or shaming someone else.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #44  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecomtes View Post
I'm in a public health class right now and the prof. suggested that this epidemic did start earlier than the 80's, it just wasn't until the 80's that the epidemiology studies began amassing. Personally, I have no idea when it started, but it seems like a combo of cheap food, improving economy (post-depres.), and increasingly sedentary jobs.
That and it seems like people have no concept of PORTION SIZE. Portion sizes are huge in America (and from what i've heard, other parts of the world) and it's ridiculous to "super size" everything, the amount of pop they hand you at Jack in the Box or Taco Bell is astounding.
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #45  
Updating my software ;)

S/C/G: KGs: 82 / ?? / 55

Height: 5ft

I'm somewhat frustrated by the remarks 'there is plenty of information to be found on the internet'. Have we as a society changed so much that finding information from others in face to face conversations is no longer possible? Should I find out everything for myself? Tell my future children to Google how to tie their shoelaces? I think as a whole, society is very good at telling people to do things (judgements) but not so good on the smaller details. They just assume, "this person is overweight so surely they know eating better and exercise is the way to go, right? It's basic". What about the emotional issues that come with exercising, such as "what do I do if my scales don't show less weight after several months of exercising? What foods are good and bad? Not everyone is so great at making these decisions when they start out.

It shouldn't be that we have to rely on digital information when there are people in our lives who are armed with the knowledge but then claim it's up to the person losing weight to do it on their own.
Rhiko is offline   Reply With Quote