Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 04-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #16  

Height: 5'8.5"

Thanks, Lucy! Rushing off to work now but will definitely come back and check out the site.

I'm glad you feel it was the right decision to do it while you still wanted to lose more weight. I was hesitant but my arms and legs are skinny as a rail, and all three of my doctors said go for it.

I have no idea what to expect afterwards except of course I know I will be sore. My pre-op appointment is 4/16
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

I started off at DDD. Got pregnant and moved to FFF or GGG (conflicting measurements and fittings). After pregnancy, my breasts did NOT shrink, so...I opted for BR despite the fact I still want another kid and was a BF-ing mom. Simply put, I couldn't find bras that fit, I was in tears, I was in constant pain, and I couldn't even sit up without being in agony, much less walk to try and lose some weight. I gained due to how much pain I was in and being unable to move.

They removed 6.23 pounds of MAMMORY tissue and only .27 pounds of fatty tissue. I was told I had very little fatty tissue in my breasts and still retained 5.7 pounds of mammory tissue. No clue how they measured it, but sure, whatever.

Anyways, I went down to a DD. And it was NICE! I mean, I hurt like made for several days...and the part they lipoed hurt for a few months (literally!) and I ended up with MRSA, and I have weird scars and "wings" on the sides, and I have no feeling in my right breast, and when my nipples get perky, MAN are they perky...but you know what? I'd do it again in a heart beat. Because I can walk. I can play with my kid. I am not suffercating when I lay on my back and have sexy time with my hubby...and I am not suffercating him if he is on bottom (TMI, I know, but something to consider.) I can button shirts. I can fit in a shirt smaller than a 5X. I can find a bra in a regular store instead of a custom store. I can run....for the FIRST time in my life. I have a neck. I have no shoulder pain. My curved back is begining to straighten. I can put my hands in my lap. I can cross my arms over my chest. I can walk without my arms sticking out 2 feet from my body and me looking like a bird fixing to take off. I can drive without having my elbows smashed up against the window. I can bed over without having my view obscured so I know what I am picking up.

And all of that is just from the breast reduction.

Because of all of that, I was able to start exercising...which allowed me to lose weight, which has allowed me to gain even more awesome points.

Yeah. I 'd do it again. Because it changed EVERYTHING for me...for the better.

Edit: I am now at a D after swelling and some weight loss. I'll never be small, even when I was a stick figure way back when I was always beyond busty. But I can fit in a 1X now...something I couldn't do even when I was 100 pounders lighter due to such large boobs.

Last edited by zoesmom; 05-02-2013 at 12:02 PM.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #18  

Hi... back again AFTER my procedure! zoesmom, thanks for your very helpful info!

13 days post-op and already I am THRILLED with my new breasts! I went from boobs that literally hung below my waist to an approx. C cup! I can't be fitted and get regular bras for at least a month (2 more weeks) because of swelling and fluid retention, etc... and I have a HUGE number of stitches from the extensive reduction. But already I can stand up straight (which I could not do before) and go up stairs easier, even though I still have to be cautious. I still can't lift/pull etc. anything more than 5 pounds, but am now allowed to go to church, a bit of shopping, etc.

This is absolutely fantastic and is going to change my life completely!
Old 05-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #19  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Glad to hear it went well!!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #20  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Misti, I'm so happy for you! The first weeks post-op (after pretty much any invasive procedure) can be really tough--but it sounds as if you're weathering them well and soon will be able to find new bras and really enjoy your new figure!
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

Oh, that's wonderful news, Misti! I'm so glad it went well for you. Please post pics as soon as you are comfortable.
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #22  

Thanks, everyone! Here are my before and after pix -- and they were MUCH worse before I lost the weight but these two photos were taken at approx. the same weight (except for the 10 pounds they took off LOL

Before

After

Old 05-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #23  

So glad to read your updates, Misti!! Glad to hear you are doing so well. You look great in your pictures!! And your smile is contagious, I swear I smile back at you when I see your pics.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'6"

Misti, congratulations! A huge difference from the pictures. So glad it went well for you and that you're recovering fine.
magical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #25  

Elvislover, what a nice thing to say... thanks! And magical, thanks too for your kind words.

Once I heal up it will be fun to get working again to get the rest of my weight off! Now I can work out so much easier.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #26  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

what a big difference!! you look great too!!
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

Oh, wow Misti! What a difference! The benefits to your health and well being must be wonderful.
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #28  

Thanks, Alaskan and garnet! I already feel fabulous, even though I am still really sore. But I can stand up straight now and have been told I am taller because of it. I tried so hard to stand up straight before but simply could not do it, and I can see a huge difference already in the way I am holding my shoulders. My chiro came for a visit and taught me how to tell how to get into the proper position for posture, and I am practicing!

I just have to wait a couple more weeks at least before I can work out or be fitted, etc. But it will come!!

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 05-12-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:24 AM   #29  

Height: 5"6

I am so happy for you, Misti! You look much more comfortable now! (and beautiful, as always!) So glad you did this for yourself!!!
NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:23 AM   #30  

Thanks, NorthernChick! I am really glad too that I did it!!