Breast lift question

• I will be getting a breast lift. I still have about 60 pounds to lose. For anyone who has had a breast lift or has looked into it, will the doctor most likely want me to be at my goal weight before he will do the surgery?
  • I would never believe what a doctor tells you as far as getting it done now versus waiting till later - they want your business or they might not believe that you WILL lose the weight.

Honestly, I would SOOOOOO wait on getting a lift. You might find you need more done or less done. And I'm assuming you want to do this once and not a couple of times.

I would even wait a bit to see if you can maintain your loss - maybe make it your ultimate reward for getting to your goal?
  • I agree with Melissa wholeheartedly- wait until after a year of maintenance.

I, too, want a breast lift after I have reached maintenance and with at least 6 months of serious weight-lifting and strength training. You never know, they may perk the girls up a bit or so I've read but of course that totally depends on your genes, elasticity and etc. I'd rather save $$$ trying lifting first.
  • I've looked into a breast reduction. For a reduction they just want you under a certain bmi to lower complications.

For a tummy tuck (which I've also looked into), they want 6 months of weight stabilization within 20lbs of your goal weight.
  • I agree too, wait 10-12 months after you're done if you want the best results.

My friend had a tummy tuck when she was 15lbs above her goal weight. After 6 weeks she started working out. It's been 2 years and she has lose skin again. It isn't as bad as it was before, but after spending a fortune she regrets not waiting.
  • As someon who recently did an arm lift BEFRORE goal, I kind of disagree. That said, I would seek consultations with a really reputable place and see what they say. PRivate practice plastic surgeons have a vested interest in telling you to get the surgery now as oppposed to later. See if you can get mulitple opinions including opinions from people who don't have a financial interest in you. I went to Mayo clinic where they are salaried and known for telling people to wait for continued weight loss (it was clear she was prepared to tell me that) but after examnining me realized there was no reason to wait. In your case, it may be better to wait but its worth looking into. There is a site on the internet called real self where you can post pictures (without your facE) and real plastic surgeons will give hteir advice. Thats maybe a place to start.

The end conclusion may be that its better to wait - that said, it could be a long time before you lose 60 lbs and keep it off for a year - so if your breasts are bad and causing you low self-esteem and distress, it may be better to do it now. Just know that if you do it now, after more weight loss they will deflate some and the results won't be quite as good - but often doctors will do a revision for free which just involves cutting off a little bit around the scar and resewing.

Anyway, I'm rambling - but I do think its worth looking into and getting the advice of a plastic surgeon. Ideally you'd weight to goal but I totally get why you don't want to wait that long to feel better about your boobs.