Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

OMG....I know I'm late but I thought I'd never meet anyone with my arms!!!!!!!!! All the best on your surgery....Let us know how things go. Thanks for being brave enough to post.
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:34 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

Surgery went really well. The first day/night sucked. Actually just the night. I was really very fine after surgery. That night, I vomited a few times from the anesthesia/pain meds (I vomited about an hour after each pain med). But now I can hold them down. Even better don't really need the percocet anymore. I'm doing really well and am very functional. I have more arm movement than I thought - totally full movement from my elbows down. I do have drains coming out of my armpit pinned to little collectors on the bandages. Those are uncomfortable and annoying (and disgusting). The drain tubes will hopefully come out on Friday. A lot of people warn that you get kind of depressed after Plastic Surgery - like "what did I just do" but I haven't experienced that. I'm just looking forward to having the bandages off and more arm movement.

The other weird side effect I wasn't expecting are very sore abs and a very very sore back. I think every time I get up from laying down, I need to compensate with my core because I can't use my arms ... so its definitely been rough on my core. The good news is I'm probably building muscle there!: )

I haven't seen my new arms yet - they are still wrapped in the original bandages. Today a friend helped me sponge bathe and wash my hair in the sink. The part I can see is my armpit fat which she liposuctioned a little and those look noticeably better.

I will show you guys "after" pictures once I am able to take them.
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

So good to hear you're recovering well! I tend to throw up after general anasthetic as well so I understand that. Lame, eh? As if you don't have enough to deal with pain wise you get to add violently throwing up to the mix.
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #19  

I wish you a speedy recovery! I can't wait to see your new arms.
TheLauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #20  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

I hope your recovery is quick--and can't wait to see the results!
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #21  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Glad your recovery is going so well, and looking forward to when you can see the results - and eventually post photos too but for now, for you to be able to see and I hope you are as happy as you expect. Do you think you will get to have a peek when they take the drains out or do the bandages still stay on for a while after that?
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #22  

I actually unwrapped them last night. They weren't as scary looking as I though. I was a little sad that they weren't quite as good as I expected but I don't want to jump the gun ... they are still swollen and stuff. The bad arm is a HUGE imporvement. The arm that wasn't so bad doesn't look much different (right now at least) so i keep thinking .. why did I let them add a scar? But really, i think they are just puffy and swollen. I'm excited to see what they look like as they heal.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

It's always difficult to deal with physical changes. I've had a few major surgeries as a child and then as a teenager and when I was as kid, I was like, no big deal. As a teen when I started to understand that these surgeries would kind of be with me for the rest of my life in the form of scars or other physical difficulties, it really sunk in. Just know it's pretty normal to be nervous and scared about the scars or not looking like you'd think it would look. I looked like frankenstein after surgery and now 10 years later, my most obvious scar is barely visible! Give it time and be patient and kind to yourself.
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #24  
LRH

S/C/G: 152/132/127

Height: 5'5"

Hope you are recovering well!!!
LRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #25  
Dukanista

It's only been a few days, and I'm sure that most of what you are looking at is swelling. But how exciting that you can already see a huge difference on the bad arm - they are both going to keep looking better every time you look at them!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:28 AM   #26  
Dukanista

How are you doing, mandypandy? Hope you are feeling good and the swelling is going down enough for you to be able to start to see a big difference!
Old 02-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #27  

I am doing well. I had wound separation in my arm pits which is NOT FUN. Its apparently pretty common and normal in the underarms - an area with a lot of tension that stays moist. So now I have these big gaping wounds I am waiting for to heal. Other than that it looks great - but I'm tired of these gaping wounds.

I will update with after pictures once I am a little bit more healed up.

I still don't regret doing this - But I am frustrated and wish I could heal faster!!
Old 02-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 295/274/190

Height: 5' 10"

Ugh that's no fun, hope you heal fast. Thanks for sharing your journey with us. I would like to have this procedure done at some point. My arms are the worse thing on me I hate them.
KittieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandypandy2246 View Post
I am doing well. I had wound separation in my arm pits which is NOT FUN. Its apparently pretty common and normal in the underarms - an area with a lot of tension that stays moist. So now I have these big gaping wounds I am waiting for to heal. Other than that it looks great - but I'm tired of these gaping wounds.

I will update with after pictures once I am a little bit more healed up.

I still don't regret doing this - But I am frustrated and wish I could heal faster!!
glad you are doing well, save the horrible wound separation. remember to bump up your protein intake as it helps your body heal wounds. there is actually a product I bought my mom called "Juven" protein power (mixed with other stuff) that wound clinics use to help heal bedsores and other large wounds on body. Maybe you could try that? It's sold at Walgreens.

take care of yourself :-)
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #30  
Dukanista

So sorry that the healing is more complicated than you expected. But nice to hear that otherwise, you are happy about the results.

I wish you a speedy recovery!!