Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 03-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #1  

Default Anyone lose 200LBS and not have A lot of extra skin

Started my diet last week. I'm 37 years old 295 and 5'2 so I have a very long way to go. Hoping to lose 185lbs. Doing it the old fashion way. My biggest fear is all the extra skin. Its not enough of a fear that I wont try but I was wondering with all the horror stories I'm reading can anyone say they lost that much and there was not a lot of extra skin left over. Realistically I know its probably going to be there but it would be so nice to see if anyone at all lost that much or more and came out with very little to no extra floppy skin.
fireserpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #2  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

Welcome and congrats on starting your diet Are you doing a specific plan like weight watchers or South Beach? Or something like calorie counting?

I have lost 165(almost 170) over the course of about 4 years. But I do have extra skin especially on my stomach. Its not as bad as I thought it would be a few years ago, but not as good as I had hoped in best case....

I'm actually curious to see if anyone around here has lost a good amount and has no loose skin or if theirs tightened up after maintaining for a bit...
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 325/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4.75"

I am almost 40 pounds in to my weightloss with an ultimate goal of 200, and I too am curious about this. I am guessing that I will need something surgically done since I have been significantly overweight for over 20 years, but it would be nice to know if there are some things that I can do along the way to help. The only thing I have even heard of is dry brushing, which I have started doing daily.
Fiyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker23 View Post
Welcome and congrats on starting your diet Are you doing a specific plan like weight watchers or South Beach? Or something like calorie counting?

I have lost 165(almost 170) over the course of about 4 years. But I do have extra skin especially on my stomach. Its not as bad as I thought it would be a few years ago, but not as good as I had hoped in best case....

I'm actually curious to see if anyone around here has lost a good amount and has no loose skin or if theirs tightened up after maintaining for a bit...
Which diet are you following? You could stick to it 2 years hats off to you.
I am almost 60 years, following 17 day diet, doing regular exercise..weight training and every thing. But last year I lost only 22 lbs.
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Ok, I haven't lost 200 pounds, but I have lost 105 (and have about 15 to go). But since there aren't many around that have lost 200, I thought I would chime in.

First, fat loss and skin shrinking up don't go at the same speed. Well, they can, but you can lose fat a lot faster than skin can shrink up, so if you lose 2 pounds a week initially, and then later 1 lbs a week, you will be dealing with some loose skin somewhat (most likely), but it could shrink up later.

What I'm finding is that for the most part, the skin is shrinking more than I thought it would and I kind of had worst case scenario in my head as I have REALLLLLY bad skin - I get stretch marks easily. I get scars easily, etc.

Do I have loose skin? Yes. But it's also still shrinking up, so I don't know how much really loose skin there will be in the end. The worst of it is my tummy and my underarms - though I have it everywhere, it's just more noticeable there. My tummy I think is even worse because of tons and tons and tons of stretch marks from pregnancy. My underarms have been a problem for me since puberty - all women in my family have big arms and now I have bat wings.

But even on my bad tummy, I don't have a flap of loose skin. It's baggy and wrinkly and loose, but not enough to create a flap of skin that will be hard to keep clean and dry. And, it's still shrinking up. Just last month my arms shrank over an inch and I am certain ALL of it was from loose skin shrinking up (finally).

And really, even with loose skin, you still look and feel SO MUCH BETTER than before. My husband thinks I'm beautiful. He said a couple days ago, "Let me turn this light on so I can see my beautiful wife" And he is NOT one to say things he doesn't mean.

Now, with all this said, I do think it helps to eat a good diet and to exercise. Treating your body right will help with it being able to respond in a healthy way too.

But really - once you really get going, you'll worry and care about that loose skin less and less.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 214/190/140

Height: 5'5"

Fireserpent - everyone is different and it's hard to say how your body will react. Don't worry too much about what may or may not happen, but concentrate on reaching your personal goals.

You're giving me hope, BBB! Whilst I don't have so much to lose - I do have rather wobbly arms now and an even more wobbly tum, but not loose skin as such. I'm hoping that maintaining and more exercise will help those areas shrink but if not, so be it. I would rather some loose skin than to not have done it at all.
Elliemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #7  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

I bought the Gabriel Method book after a Google search of need to loose +200 pounds. His before and after photos are amazing.

I'm worried too about loose skin but I'm really putting the cart before the horse. I figure I can deal with it later.
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #8  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

I have loss 140lbs so far and have lose skin but not like I thought I was going to have. I am going to see a plastic surgeon this week to see just how much lose skin I have. I am currently at 249lbs I am thinking I have at least 30lbs of lose skin so we will see what the dr says
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote