Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 01-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/Ticker!/135

Height: 5'6

Default Excess Skin

I am so terrified of losing weight and having excess skin. My plan is to go from 230 to 135 pounds... I'm 5'6 and 21 years old.. my body has always been pretty proportionate, no extra fat in any certain areas, but I've been overweight most of my life. I am just terrified. I know that I shouldn't let that hold me back from getting healthy, I know, I know.. but I just don't feel like post- weight loss surgery is ever going to be an option for me. Not only that, but my husband is in denial. I've brought up the possibility of my having excess skin to him and he just acts like there's no way it will ever happen. I worry that he won't be happy with my appearance after I'm done, and it has really been nagging at me. I plan to incorporate strength training, and to do a lot of muscle building exercises for my stomach, thighs, and upper arms, and I've been researching good lotions, so that I can add that in everyday to help prevent excess, but I just feel like at the end of the day, if it is going to come, it will, and there's nothing I can do about it. I get so discouraged when I read success stories similar to what I'm trying to do, but then the person had to have a tummy tuck or lower body lift... it scares me worse, I think... Any advice or positive thoughts on this?
SWhite0513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #2  

Hi,
It is all so individual. My friend lost about the same as you desire and honnestly she had very little issue with skin-maybe good genes,or the daily exercise but she is more than happy.

Pick up a tiny piece of skin on the back of your hand -if it springs back quickly that is a big plus. Also your age is working for you.

Also if you are not happy, then you can put the weight back on but if you deny yourself the opportunity to see what happens,you will never know.

I am betting that you will look just fine. Good luck!

Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 333.8/311/250

Height: 6'1

I think Sheridan is correct! I have the same problem SWHITE, I would like to lose 75-100lbs. I'm 29 and i have excess weight everywhere, arms, thighs, stomach, back end... i'm currently doing weight watchers and the weight is coming off steady and slow. I'm working out 3-4days a week, and i'm gonna start toning/stretching program like a yoga or something to help. also i met a zumba trainer who lost 75+lbs and is way older than me. She looks awesome. So I hope my skins goes back to normal too!!
morenabella2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
Hi,
It is all so individual. My friend lost about the same as you desire and honnestly she had very little issue with skin-maybe good genes,or the daily exercise but she is more than happy.

Pick up a tiny piece of skin on the back of your hand -if it springs back quickly that is a big plus. Also your age is working for you.

Also if you are not happy, then you can put the weight back on but if you deny yourself the opportunity to see what happens,you will never know.

I am betting that you will look just fine. Good luck!

Sheridan
The skin on the back of my hand goes back immediately, so hopefully that is a good sign! You are right, I can always put weight back on.. even if that isn't the best option, it's one way to look at it. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I will guarantee you that your husband would prefer loose skin versus fat. And so should you.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:19 AM   #6  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWhite0513 View Post
but I just feel like at the end of the day, if it is going to come, it will, and there's nothing I can do about it.
This is pretty much true. I don't say that to discourage you AT ALL, but so that hopefully at some point you'll worry about less than you do now. From what you describe, you have a LOT going for you in terms of the likelihood of excess skin post-weight loss - you're still very young, you carry your weight proportionally rather than in specific areas, and your starting weight in relation to your height is lower than where many people begin.

I was worried about excess skin too, and I do have it. It's in the places where I thought it would be - the places where I've carried a lot of weight for a long time. My legs are the worst, and no matter how much weight I lose they will never look good.

But - they looked horrible before the weight loss, and I will take my legs today ANY DAY over the way they looked before. My whole body, every bit that I don't like and wish were different, is MILES from my appearance 125 lbs ago. And my husband loves it, despite the extra skin. He doesn't even seem to notice it, and brushes me off when I mention it. I think he's just overwhelmed by how different I look overall. He keeps lifting up my coat to look at my backside when I'm walking in front of him. He runs his hands over my sides and back and marvels at the feel of my ribs and shoulders and waist. He tells me daily how little I am (I am nowhere near "little"!), and he always wants to pick me up just because he can now (with great effort still, LOL!). He said last night that it's like he suddenly has a new wife - and he definitely meant it as a compliment on the way I look now, not a criticism of the way I looked before.

In all honesty, my guess is that you're not going to have a lot of problems with excess skin. But even if you do end up with a little here and there, you're going to look and feel awesome after the weight loss - and I would bet that your husband is going think you look amazing too.

I wish you a lot of luck on your journey.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:23 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee32 View Post
This is pretty much true. I don't say that to discourage you AT ALL, but so that hopefully at some point you'll worry about less than you do now. From what you describe, you have a LOT going for you in terms of the likelihood of excess skin post-weight loss - you're still very young, you carry your weight proportionally rather than in specific areas, and your starting weight in relation to your height is lower than where many people begin.

I was worried about excess skin too, and I do have it. It's in the places where I thought it would be - the places where I've carried a lot of weight for a long time. My legs are the worst, and no matter how much weight I lose they will never look good.

But - they looked horrible before the weight loss, and I will take my legs today ANY DAY over the way they looked before. My whole body, every bit that I don't like and wish were different, is MILES from my appearance 125 lbs ago. And my husband loves it, despite the extra skin. He doesn't even seem to notice it, and brushes me off when I mention it. I think he's just overwhelmed by how different I look overall. He keeps lifting up my coat to look at my backside when I'm walking in front of him. He runs his hands over my sides and back and marvels at the feel of my ribs and shoulders and waist. He tells me daily how little I am (I am nowhere near "little"!), and he always wants to pick me up just because he can now (with great effort still, LOL!). He said last night that it's like he suddenly has a new wife - and he definitely meant it as a compliment on the way I look now, not a criticism of the way I looked before.

In all honesty, my guess is that you're not going to have a lot of problems with excess skin. But even if you do end up with a little here and there, you're going to look and feel awesome after the weight loss - and I would bet that your husband is going think you look amazing too.

I wish you a lot of luck on your journey.
Thank you, this made me feel a lot better, and congratulations on your success!
Old 01-08-2012, 06:47 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 214/190/140

Height: 5'5"

You definitely have age on your side which is a massive bonus. I'm in my 40's and I do have some saggy skin (around my stomach area and my upper arms) and I admit I don't like it, but all in all I'd rather have that than all the weight I've lost back on! I'm doing lots of exercise and will give myself 6 months at target to see if things tighten up a bit more before I consider anything else. If you start doing exercise at the outset there's no reason everything shouldn't ping into place for you
Elliemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #9  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

Height: 5'9"

I'm almost twice your age, have given birth to 6 children- including a set of twins-, lost 152lb, and while I do have some skin issues, it is far and away a much better body than where I was at nearly 300lb. My main issue is the back of my thighs, but I'm running a lot now and lifting weights, and the as the muscle fills in there, the skin is evening out. A couple of months ago I was worried about the skin on my stomach (my twins were positioned in such a way that left me with a lop-sided flap of skin), but that has all but disappeared as I continue my exercise regimen.

Remember that even if there is some skin left over, it is much better to have a fit and healthy body, and the only people that are going to see that skin are you and someone you care about. Most of the time it will be covered up with clothing and not noticeable at all.

Wishing you success on your weight loss journey!
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I went from 233.9 pounds to currently about 149, past my original goal weight. I have had three children, and yes, I do have some excess skin. I am a pear shape, so most of my excess skin is in my lower belly, hips, and thighs. I have a small amount in my upper arm area. HOWEVER-look at my photo. I am a performer, and by wearing costumes with sleeves, and being extremely fit through exercise-I completely camoflauge any excess skin. I don't wear shorts because of my excess skin in my thighs...but my legs are strong, and I do rock knee or just above the knee length dresses, and capri length shorts. (STRONG calves!) When I perform, I simply wear a belly stocking (like pantyhose for the belly for belly dancers) and it holds the excess skin in place...just like Spanx or a good one piece bathing suit might.

At this point, I am looking into having a couple of procedures done...the main ones I am considering are a tummy tuck for the excess belly/upper hip skin...and a breast lift. (I went from a 38DD to a 34B.) It isn't NECESSARY, however. I went to Jamaica over the summer, and wore a bathing suit in public for the first time in a decade. I just wore a tankini, and a suit that had the little skirt over it...and I looked fine, really. No one was aware that I used to be fat and had three kids...it just takes a little more time as far as picking out a suit that covered my problem areas.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

God bless the tankini.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:51 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 69kg/65/60

Height: 5ft

I fear the same thing, but in my case, I know I will have a dreaded apron of skin to tuck into my undies. I just hope it will not be too bad. But don't let the thought of loose skin deter you from getting fit, as someone said before, it differs from person to person. I wonder too, if losing weight slowly, versus losing it fast, has anything to do with skin sag?
happybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:09 AM   #13  
My goal = health

I always wonder the same thing. From what I understand, best thing to do is hydrate properly and do strength-training to help muscle replace the fat under your skin. Good Luck on your journey!
RRB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #14  
300lbs in avatar

S/C/G: 339/287/225

Height: 5'9

I'm also worried about the excess skin, I'm 19 and I have about 117 lbs to lose. I did the little skin on the back of the hand test and it springs back immediately (I also did to my tummy and it does the same). I'm just hoping I don't get the excess skin. My mom told me to just make sure I drink a lot of water and keep my skin moisturized and hope for the best.
CaliforniaDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 282/TICKER/140

Height: 5'6.5

I'm the same as you CaliforniaDreamer, I'm hoping our young age means our skin will retain some of it's elasticity!
aseret123 is offline   Reply With Quote