Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

View Poll Results: How do/will you dress after weight loss if you have stretch marks?
I'd rather wear whatever I want regardless of my marks. 22 56.41%
I'd rather dress "appropriately" for my marks. 12 30.77%
Other 5 12.82%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #16  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I have stretch marks on my underside of my arms, my breasts, my hips, my butt, my inner and outer thighs and the back of my knees on the calves. The ONLY ones I will bother covering up are the ones on my stomach as that is also loose skin, so the stretch marks are all crinkly and funky shaped. You have to look for the ones on my breast and I don't think anyone but me would know there are there as the only ones really visible are the ones near the arm pits. The under arm ones and inner thigh ones are a bit crepe paperish now from loose skin, but it's the loose skin, not the stretch marks I don't like. And the others? They are just streaks on the skin, they 'match' the texture of the rest of the skin, so who cares?

My mother in law commented on the stretch marks on the back of my calves last year as she thought they were new - um no... how about 15 -20 years old stretch marks? But she is one of those people who looks people over head to toe and criticizes everything and everyone. My husband who has seen me naked for 19 years never noticed them until I pointed them out to him after she said that....

So basically, no bare midriffs for me and probably things to cover my inner thighs from the loose skin - not the stretch marks.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 02-08-2012 at 10:13 AM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #17  

I agree with sontaikle.. I'm definitely more concerned about the extra skin. I had some of the worst stretch marks I've ever seen but after dermarolling they are 95% gone. I only wish there was something magical to tighten up loose skin >
leftoverqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:32 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

good question...I've always had stretch marks. Even at 10-13 years old; I was wearing shorts one time and a classmate asked what the marks were on my thighs, I was embarrassed and didn't know how to explain them. Fast forward 15 years and an ex boyfriend asked about the stretchmarks on my upper arms, he didn't believe it was possible to have all these marks from losing/gaining weight (he is an ex now after all!).

so, I'm putting this all out there because I realized some people don't know what stretch marks are! if you have them really bad and strangers see them they may think something else. And I try to tell myself they aren't noticeable, but since people have commented on them I know they are noticeable. mines are mostly faded and white-ish but my ex-bf still seen them clearly.

It sucks because I do feel self conscious wearing short sleeves, it's hard to find cute summer tops to cover the upper arm ones. has anyone else had experience of others actually noticing their stretch marks?
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #19  
Nutella Girl

S/C/G: 197 / 135 / 140

Height: 5'5''

****, I'm proud of my stretch marks. To be honest, I find them very cool. I think veins are cool and they're only on my lower stomach so... I don't know, I don't mind them. I think it would be a different story if they were on my arms and legs.
Fyi, they have faded (yours will fade) and when you get a tan, they'll virtually disappear.
imperialistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #20  
Nutella Girl

S/C/G: 197 / 135 / 140

Height: 5'5''

Wow, I never realized the h-word was censored. Those stars are making me feel vulgar lol
imperialistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #21  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I voted other because my preference is to dress for the situation.

Most of my stretch marks are on my stomach from having kids, and they don't really bother me anymore.

I wear tank tops, shorts, etc., in the summer. However, I wouldn't wear my gardening outfit to the store. A chopped off tank, that lets my tummy out, and an old pair of army bdu pants, cut off into shorts.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote