3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/body-image-issues-after-weight-loss-219/)
-   -   Phantom Fat! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/body-image-issues-after-weight-loss/246191-phantom-fat.html)

wtfudge 10-30-2011 10:52 PM

Phantom Fat!

Quick anecdote: my boyfriend who is pretty lean and I were hanging out, and he ended up kinda caressing my stomach/tummy area, and I panicked naturally. Because I was on my side lying down, so of course, I'm showing off the fattiest part of my stomach area, flab, hanging stuff, and all.

I tried to move his hand away in a cutesy fashion. In doing so, I noticed I was not NEARLY as fat as I thought I was. In my mind, my stomach fat
Is MUCH more prominent and disturbing. In reality, it was somewhat flat, which a gentle curvy/slope. That's not how it used to be AT ALL.

So question to my favorite internet people: do you ever get phantom fat syndrome too, where you feel like the fat is there until you do an actual physical/touch examination?

I feel like I can equate this to phantom-limb syndrome where amputees sometimes feel their arm is there-- perhaps because it is something their brain has become accustomed to? Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this phantom-fat feeling?

rainydays 10-30-2011 11:38 PM

I can absolutely relate! I've got a long way to go yet still of course, but I've lost almost 17 inches from around my natural waist--so yeah, I totally get that same feeling! Of course, I have 5 year-old twins and a 6 month-old baby, so I still have plenty of loose skin in my tummy area, but it's SO much better than it was before--but I forget that all of the time! :)

runningfromfat 10-31-2011 06:25 AM

For me it shows up more when trying on clothes. I have a hard time something is going to fit me because it looks too small. :dizzy:

BTW, I doubt your BF cared at all about any fat or phantom fat in your stomach area. ;)

sontaikle 10-31-2011 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runningfromfat (Post 4090609)
For me it shows up more when trying on clothes. I have a hard time something is going to fit me because it looks too small. :dizzy:

This is the problem I have. I keep thinking that nothing I pick out is going to fit me because it looks too small and then my mind boggles when I put it on and it's too big.

I went shopping yesterday and I had the salesgirl tell me several times to get the smaller size, but I don't think my mind could process me fitting into a size 4. Logically though if the 6 is too big, the 4 must fit! :joker:

KatieLuna 11-21-2011 05:14 PM

I'd love to have phantom fat. Instead, I have REAL fat. Although I have just started this diet! :)

RaisingThemLeft 12-22-2011 08:03 PM

Yes, I have that problem. My husband was poking my stomach, trying to tickle me and I asked him if he was playing with my fat. He said, "I'm playing with your ABS". And I looked and though, oh yeah, I do have abs now. I also have the issue of looking at clothing, thinking it is so tiny and will never fit, and then it fits. And I'm still surprised to see myself in the mirror.

Unna 12-23-2011 07:33 AM

I don't have the problem with phantom fat - not yet.

But I do have a similar problem with phantom hair. I have naturally super thick, somewhat frizzy, curly hair. Now, with the advent of wonderful hair products and irons and such, I have controllable hair.

I still often think it is big and poofy - so when I look in the mirror, especially when I out, I'm often shocked that it is tamed, normal, and "in order".