Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 06-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #1  

Default skin removal surgery

A friend of mine had his love handles removed after losing 75+ lbs. He is a young man and now very fit.

Holy cow, they took 3 feet by 1 ft of skin off of him! He had a complication with bleeding but now is well on his road to recovery.

This was such a dangerous surgery, that no doctor nor plastic surgeon is willing to do his post op care since he moved. They don't want the liability.

Scary stuff.

Also, he emphasized the importance of researching surgeons and getting the very best you can find. This is no small deal.

I just wanted to share in case anyone had considered this surgery. This guy has a medical background so I'm sure he'll do OK, but it's truly serious stuff.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #2  
Starting over

S/C/G: 367/314/187

Thanks for sharing
Miss_Donna30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:48 AM   #3  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I don't understand your post... He moved immediately after surgery? If so, that was terrible planning on his part AND his surgeon's part. I had a full abdominoplasty and had 11 pounds of skin removed from my sides and belly. I wouldnt' even consider moving or changing doctors until I was given a clean bill of health!

Any and all surgery is dangerous and can have complications. If you aren't in a situation where you can plan for those complications, then don't have the surgery.
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #4  

Lisa, very good point! He had the surgery 1 month ago, the complication with bleeding was 2 days later.

He was in med school in another state. Now he's home for summer. I totally agree that he should have researched post op care before the surgery!

I'm gonna ask him about this. At this point, he's pointing fingers at docs who, to him, are ignorant. I think he may benefit from someone taking his finger and bending it back to him.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #5  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

There is a certain measure of personal responsibility there, to be sure. If he didn't communicate his plans to his surgeon, then the doctor can't really be at fault...

I've had far too many surgeries in my life, and I've always planned ahead. There was one instance where my surgeon came into the pre-op room, where I was gowned, on an IV, and ready to roll, to tell me she changed her mind about the method she was going to use for my operation. The "new" method would involve a six week recovery as opposed to the five DAY recovery of the method we agreed on.

I told them to take the IV out of my arm because I was going him.

I was not prepared for everything involved with a six week recovery, and I would have been a fool to go through with something that major and just wing it afterwards!
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #6  

Height: 5'3"

That's a pretty big difference in recovery time. But at least they told you of the change. I'm assuming they changed it because they weren't comfortable with doing the other way. I'm having surgery at the end of the month. My first surgery ever. I know it's going to be a long recovery, and have my mother (a nurse) helping me for the first week along with my boyfriend. My mother also works in a surgical center so knows what goes into post-op care. Being a medical student especially he should have known better. Esp with elective surgery.
Kelli21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #7  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I was 600 miles away from the surgeon that did the Fluer de lis abdominoplasty for me and the distance was a struggle. The Dr. did a great job with very minimal scarring for the extensiveness of the procedure, it was much less expensive then any dr. around here. The only draw back was the travel time to get to appointments...oh and the horrid pain and that was without any complications. Plastics are not something to be taken lightly...as with any surgery.

Angela
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 356/195/192

Height: 5" 7.5'

Red face

Hi Hun, I am very interested to here about your tummy tuck and possibly see some pictures too. I had a Gastric Bypass just over 4 years ago now and I have excessive loose skin. I've been to see a Plastic Surgeon who is happy to refer me for NHS funding and mentioned that I would need the Fleur dis Lis because my skin is so bad. I have gone from 26 stones to just under 14 but this skin affects every aspect of my life.
I hope that you can get back to me?
Kind Regards
Claire xx
claraabblue is offline   Reply With Quote