Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 05-02-2011, 11:31 PM   #1  

Default Cellulite

The cellulite on my thighs looks just as bad after losing weight, now that I'm almost at goal, as it did 35 lbs ago. Has anyone had any improvement with their cellulite?

Last edited by exhale; 05-02-2011 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Typo
exhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #2  

Height: 5'3"

I found this anti-cellulite cream at wal-mart by the acne stuff and lotions. I've been using it for a week and I'm seeing a HUGE difference in my cellulite, even though I'm so far from goal. And stick thin girls have just as much cellulite problems as bigger ones, so even when you get to goal, it probably won't change too much.
Kelli21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

It sounds weird, but dry brushing has seemed to help mine some. Or maybe it hasn't and it's just been me losing weight. Haha.

Kelli21, mind sharing your miracle product with us? :P
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:19 PM   #4  

what is dry brushing?
Old 05-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #5  

My knowledge of cellulite was learned long ago, so pardon me if new scientific evidence contradicts...Cellulite is caused by tiny strands of connective tissue that hold the skin to the underlying tissue. It is hereditary how pliable yours is. If it's not very pliable, it cannot stretch with normal growth, let alone the kind of growth in size you see in obesity. So the skin where it connects will pucker like divets in a golf ball.

Imagine, does a skin cream penetrate THAT deep? Can we stretch or break these strands? At my time of learning (college 1992) there was no scientific evidence that anything could be done to change the physical being of the strands. There are things (like tanning) that hide the appearance, but the puckers are still there. (Feel free to exchange the P in puckers for the letter after E - lol)

I saw a pic of me recently at age 20 in a bathing suit. I was the exact same weight and height as I am now (much much different body composition - I have less body fat now) and guess what - I did not have any cellulite. I do now. A tiny bit, but I do. I attribute that to exercise and muscularity and I still have butt fat, of course, so the strands have not changed and my skin has been expanded (I had 4 kids, too), thus the cellulite.

Anyone have science behind their remedy? I would check out all success claims before spending even a penny on a remedy. As far as I know, there can never be one.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:07 PM   #6  

thanks for the reply, very interesting. Just to make sure I understood correctly, you had no cellulite at 20, even though you had more body fat. Now you do have a tiny bit of cellulite which you attribute to skin expanding to accomodate more muscle from exercise?

Last edited by exhale; 05-11-2011 at 11:10 PM. Reason: typo