If i loose weight, will my stretch marks go away?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • i was wondering if they go away or where there not noticeable? where i can like wear shorts? i have them on the back of my thighs and on the side,waist,ect.
  • Yes most definatly.
    This time last year i as horrible bright red ones on my stomach they really upset me , i found a product called rescue oil its really cheap and i rubbed it on morning and night and after 3 week they were visibly lighter, and i havent lost that much weight but even with 7lbs loss i noticed a differance.
    They are now very faint and although they will never fully dissapear they are barely visable and i get spray tans so that blends them in. But trust me they do get better with time i was in yor exact same boat not long ago
  • My answer was going to be NO they don't go away... but I guess I'll go look for some rescue oil? Where do I find it?
  • i got stretch marks when i was pregnant it been 20 years and they are still there, the stretch marks have faded some over the years but they are still visible
  • Hi everyone. So stretch marks are tough and super annoying but you can in fact reduce their appearance with exercising and losing weight. If you reduce the amount of resistance against the skin, which is what causes stretch marks, then you can reduce their appearance. Exercising coupled with a stretch mark cream is the best way to go but don't expect them to disappear completely because we are just not that lucky. Good luck!
  • I have 4 really big ones on my stomach that were really bad when I first started losing weight. I mean it looked like a tiger attacked me. Since I've lost weight and started exercising they look so much better, I think if I get tan this summer they may be pretty unnoticeable. I also use coco butter though not consistently.
  • I'm thinking we need a sticky thread on stretch marks, to go along with the one we already have on loose skin.

I still have mine, two years after losing over 100 pounds, but I'm not in my 20s anymore, and I think that, as with loose skin, there are age & genetic factors involved, and maybe even how long one has been overweight.

Another product I've heard mentioned is Bio Oil, and yes, pure cocoa butter, but I have no idea if either help or whether users are simply witnessing the natural fading of stretch marks over time.
  • I found that my stretch marks were like the rest of me. When I got smaller, they did too!
  • Frankly, stretch marks will never go 100% away unless you have the stretch-marked skin cut off by means of plastic surgery.

However, their appearance can improve quite a lot in time, especially if you help it along by drinking lots of water or green tea to keep your skin hydrated, occasional gentle exfoliation, moisturizing the marked areas with quality moisturizers(pure cocoa butter, coconut oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, etc.) at least daily and massaging the areas while doing so, and eating a diet rich in vitamins and minerals and healthy fats.

While they will never completely disappear, you can really improve the size, texture, depth, and color.

Good luck!
  • I used to have bright read stretch marks on my stomach when I went through rapid weight gain within 1 year. My tummy is deflated now but there's still light signs of them but it's not too horrible. They do lighten up though and are easily covered by clothes.
  • I've used various products, the bio oil, lotions, etc. My product of choice is Strivectin-SD. It's supposed to help reduce scars and stretch marks, but most women use them for facial wrinkles(which apparently works!) I have a huge scar on my stomach from surgury that has always been thick and red, but since I've used the lotion, I notice the red fading in both the stretch marks and scar. It's expensive, but I look for trial versions and sales. It won't completely eliminate them, but if they fade, I'll be thrilled!!!
  • I've had to come to terms with the fact that my stretch marks will never completely dissapear. I look at them as kind of a roadmap of my life. I've lived, and I am human, and stretch marks in the scheme of things are not such a big deal. I'm reducing their appearance, and that's good enough for me.
  • I agree with the sticky idea.
    For me, they got worse as I lost weight. Actually, I don't really mind them at all- I almost like them. They look kinda cool. I think of them as my battle scars.
    Now cellulite is a different story (:
  • No. Stretch mark does not go away as the weight disappears.
  • After loosing 60 lbs, my stretch marks are sill clearly visible. They dont go away.