Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 01-10-2011, 03:06 AM   #1  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

Default Clothing - figuring out how much a new item with stretch when you get it home!

Is there anything I can do to try to work out how much a new item is going to stretch with wearing and washing? I get new stuff and then find that within 12-48 hours it has gotten gigantic. I'm unimpressed, having deliberately and specifically replaced my clothes cos I am sick and tired of wearing stuff that is way too big, only to buy something else that seemed a snug fit when I first received it, then it's massive by the end of the day.

Ideally I'd buy clothes pre-worn, but second hand is a nightmare for me - you can't shop online, they don't deliver, access is bottom of the pile cos who's going to sue a charity shop for not having a ramp? So I'm on mostly catalogue shopping, but once you have cut off the tags and worn the clothes you can't return them because they don't fit, you can only do that if you leave all the tags and things on, and it seems it is now impossible to tell whether something you try on is going to still fit you after you begin wearing it!
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

You could look for reviews of the clothing. You could remember which fabrics stretched out more than others, and stop ordering the kind that stretches out. You could ask about specific brands that folks might have feedback on. You could shop at higher quality stores, since those clothes generally hold their shape better. You could order smaller sizes so when they do stretch they look better.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:47 AM   #3  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

Thanks, I've certainly done some of those things, but I guess I don't know enough about clothes to work with most of them. For example, AFAIK a label showing "100% cotton" that means OK it's made of the same thing, but it could be woven cotton, stretch cotton jersey, etc. so checking the label doesn't really distinguish what it is. I don't know what else to look at other than the actual label. I've even had two pairs of identical jeans, one blue one black, where the black one stayed roughly the same size for years and the blue got bigger and bigger, so not really sure what I am looking at. The trouble is now that clothing moves on so quickly that by the time I have decided that yes I really like something or I should have got a smaller size it's too late to get another one, things are rotated as often as every 2 weeks in some places, where when I was a teen-twenties I could go back to the same shop to buy the same jeans every 3 years and they still had them. Hard to imagine now!

The other place I've come unstuck is with reputation, as most places now have several "lines" within their stores and just because their stuff has a decent reputation doesn't mean that buying another item from the same store came from a similar manufacturer or meets their reputation. and indeed I have friends who think stuff is really good cos it "lasts" and what they mean is they can wear it once every few weeks and it's still nice at the end of the season when they throw it away!

But the main time I've been bitten with this is I can't work out when additional money is spent on quality rather than name and design. They are not always things that go together, a few years ago I got sick of buying cheap clothes cos they always went bobbly and misshapen, so I spent £100 (this was some time ago when such a price was a heck of a lot) on an outfit which fell apart while I was still wearing it for the very first time. Worse than the fact it fell to bits was that, unlike the cheaper stores, this place was really huffy about accepting it back and claimed I had deliberately sabotaged it so I could wear it to a wedding and then return it for a refund, and also didn't want to refund it because it had a mark on, and actually made me go and get it dry cleaned before I could refund it! I never know looking at something if it's £30 because it's a nicer top than a £5 top or if it's £30 because it's carrying a print that costs a lot of money to license. Some of my best stuff came from a museum souvenir shop, but the manufacturer doesn't sell single items to consumers. There is a certain temptation to order a box of 50 with a personal logo on them, but maybe not...
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #4  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Rose-
I don't have any advice for you, but I can say that I know exactly what you are saying. What the heck has happened to jeans? When did manufacturers start putting tons of that stretchy fabric into them? The last pair of jeans I bought was a size 10. Thank goodness, purchased from Walmart, so they could be returned. They felt great when I put them on, within an hour, they were bagging so bad that I was tripping over the extra length. The crotch was half way to my knees. I'M NOT EXAGGERATING!

I took them back and exchanged them for an 8. Got them home, the same thing happened. I took them back and got a 6. This was about a month ago. Now those are starting to do the same thing. At 5'6" and 162 lbs., no way am I a size 6. I know there is vanity sizing and all of that, but this is stemming from the material being too stretchy. How annoying.

I had thought about going to thrift stores to get older jeans that didn't have all the stretch, but I also don't want to be wearing "mom jeans" from the 80s. What's an old girl to do?
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #5  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Rose,
The only suggestion I can make is to avoid jeans with Lycra or Spandex if the percentage is higher than 1%. I have the worst experience with jeans that contained 3% or 5% or Lycra/Spandex (I assume it is basically the same, is it not?).
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote