Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 12-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #16  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

thanks rose, that helps me a little i guess she could maybe lose 5 pounds in her tummy, maybe....... but honestly the child is built like a brick house. she is solid, and STRONG lol way stronger than most boys in her class.
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #17  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

I don't have any personal experience to relate, but when my roommate went from 250 to just under 200, all her doctor said was "Hmmm, well you've lost some weight, but you're still obese." Nothing else - no questions about food, exercise, energy level or any positive comments. I don't think she's going to that doctor anymore...the urge to beat the crap out of him was just too strong
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #18  

i dont go to most of my same doctors so i can't really say about doctors. i've lost some from year to year sometimes and they say something nice about that. one goes "and you've kept it off!" like that was a purple dragon falling from a green sky. i looked and went "well i'm not bringing dessert to church lunches anymore" or something like that. just another gripe. people assume i lost weight by somehow resisting cake and doughnuts or bread and that any minute i'm gonna eat all them. i am particular about not starting something that i think i can't maintain, partly for that very reason. i wish people including doctors would look at you as an individual instead of making these assumptions about you like whatever they saw on the tv or down the street.

Last edited by thinner; 12-19-2010 at 06:38 PM.
thinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

My doctor told me two days ago that I should consider maintaining in about 10-20 pounds. So maybe at 180 or so. He says he pays no attention to weight charts and just looks at the patient. We all carry our weight differently.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:27 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I'm down to about 190 from 295, and my body does not seem to want to drop further. But now my body fat percentage is normal and I have a good bit of lean body mass. When I explain how far I've come, my doctors pretty much treat ME like the expert.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #21  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 165/142/123

Height: 5'3"

in all honesty, why should our doctors have to be nice to us about weight?
yes, i want cheerleaders in my weight loss. thats why there are places like 3FC. when i go to the doctors office, its for an assessment of my health. and the assessment of my health is: Im overweight. why should a doctor have to make me Feel good about my bad health? my friends, and the ladies here are the people who make me feel better when im having a bad day and feel fat. my doctor is the one who makes me feel better when i'm sick and unhealthy. thats what he's paid to do. Now, he shouldnt be a jerk of course. but that has nothing to do with him being a doctor. being courteous is part of him being human. but in the end i'd rather have my doctor say "you're overweight. lose weight to be healthier" than lie to me and tell me how great of health i'm in when really i need to lose some weight.

as for the shows and people losing lots of weight in general, i think its a motivation thing. going from 400 pounds to 200 pounds is a really good change for the body. doesnt mean a person is healthy and doesnt mean they should stop losing, but that's a huge change that should be acknowledged. like someone else said, if that person were to go to the doctor and 200 pounds and be told they are still way unhealthy it would prolly be a huge discouragement. But still, its not about lying to the patient, its about how you say it.

ive never had a doctor tell me that i'm overweight, even when i was, but ive had the misfortune of changing doctors every couple years of my life (military kid) and so no doctor has seen my weight change. I have talked to one doctor about my weight, and this was in high school, and she told me to start eating in specific ways (like, all natural stuff) which would have been a much better suggestion if i wasn't living in my parents house (i wasn't exactly in control of what my mom brought home from the grocery store).

But ya, thats my tidbit on doctors. If you are overweight, and a doctor tells you that you are overweight and should lose weight, get over it because he is just telling you the truth. the truth that we all need to hear.

and if you are overweight because of muscle mass, i think that should be a conversation with you doctor because they know about muscle mass, and if you explain a weight lifting lifestyle to them, they will understand what that means for your body shape and everything and have a better understanding of what they think you should weigh.
100percentME is offline   Reply With Quote