Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 11-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Default Took a look in the mirror today. (pics)

OH JEEZ THESE ARE HUGE! I did NOT mean for that to happen... crap I'll go resize them!Stand by!

And did not like what I saw. I know I've been really complainey lately. I'm sorry everyone. I'm just trying as hard as I can to get out of the 170s. I'm at 170.8 today, but it's also MTOM, so who knows where I could really be at. I'm not so upset about really being fat in general, or about what I'll look like when I lose the weight. I don't mind having a saggy stomach or whatever, but there's one part of my stomach I'm just terrified to see what it will look like.

And I know, I've only lost 15lb, so what am I even talking about??? When I'm down 30 or 40 I'll probably start seeing for myself, but I'm just so terrified. I'm even more worried about this than the bat wings and my thighs!

I'm providing pictures because I really don't know how else to describe what it's doing. Since I'm 4'9'', I carry my stomach in the front. It's one of those hangy stomachs. I hate it. But I've actually seen it improve, so I know it can be done, but to what extent? The sides like... cave in. I don't know how to describe it. They're thin, I can hold them between my fingers. It's so weird, compared to my big, bulging gut.

But I'm worried, what will it look like 20, 40 lbs from now? Does anyone else have this, and what does it look like now, verses when you first started?

I'm so afraid a guy will see this pouch of hangy skin and run for the hills. So it's not the stomach per say I'm worried about, just one certain PART of the stomach. I look OK in undies, but man... once they come off I just want to cry.

I'll try not to be so whiny anymore now that I got that out of my system.

Last edited by yhahmd; 11-07-2010 at 11:08 AM.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

We are LUCKY! Count yourself as LUCKY!! Why? Well just read on...

1) You and I are short. Yes, weight shows easily, but remember that 10lb gain that shows like a big red flag? A 10lb loss will show just as easily, especially as the weight comes off. Look at my profile picture. That's a 10lb difference on someone who is a couple of inches taller than you.

2) Your tummy pooch will go down. It may not be totally flat ever in your life, but it'll definitely go down. I have always always had a pooch. Like your stomach, mine is thinner on the sides, and then there was this "doughnut" of cushy fat surrounding the middle of my belly around the belly button. Regardless of me being 170 and having 2 kids or 110 and in high school, I've always had that cushy little pooch. Why does that make you lucky? I loved my pooch when I was smaller. Of course, it's not so easy to love it when I'm over weight and it's hanging over my jeans. :P But yeah, I loved it, and honestly, 90% of the guys I know think "our" kind of pooch, the one around the belly button that never seems to get flat, is cute too.

You seem to have a similar body build to mine. I tend to have that hangy belly pooch when I'm overweight. I'm larger in my hips, thighs, upper arms and medium-large boobs. I have a small body frame, which means that weight looks "weightier" on me. It doesn't have anyplace to go except to hang there. LOL.

Just don't get discouraged! You've already gotten a great head start since you're getting to this while young. The problem is that you're beating yourself down instead of applauding yourself for A, the wonderful body you DO have, and B, the healthy choices you are making for yourself.

Think about it. How long did you spend making these pictures? Did you end up crying over them? I used to. I would pick apart my body until I was in tears. It did nothing but set me up for veeery destructive patterns of eating and dieting. Now what if you had spent that time admiring the curve of your hip? Or admiring your ankles or knees or whatever it is you find attractive? What if, instead of circling all the things you don't like, you circled all the things you do like? If you spent time telling yourself the things you love about your body, you're going to find yourself more worthy to keep making healthy decisions. Love yourself and everything else will fall into place.

Last edited by Pint Sized Terror; 11-07-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Pint Sized Terror I lovelovelove you. I have been in such a terrible mood all day! I'm probably PMSing...lol but I've been crying ALL day about this and that, and I've been meaning to take those pictures and ask about them, so today I decided to just do it. I guess it's just because I've been trying so hard to see 169 on that scale, even 169.something, but I just keep seeing 170.8, 170.2, 170. Sometimes I just think it won't ever happen.

But your post made me feel a lot better <3 And seeing your progress pictures too, you look fantastic, makes me want to try even harder
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #4  

If you're PMSing you're probably retaining water, so for all you know you could already be under 170, and it could just be water. That's just maybe, we all know what kind of fickle-witch PMS is...

Maybe if you stop weighing yourself every day or every other day. I used to weigh myself every week. If I hadn't lost anything, or if I gained, I'd eat afterwards, thinking, well, I have a week til I have to weigh again, so wth... If I lost, I'd eat thinking hey! I earned it!

I'm going to start weighing myself every 2 weeks or so. I hid the scales from myself, LOL. They're out of sight.

Instead, I focus more on how I couldn't do even 1 "real" push up last month, last night I managed 3! XD Last month I could only do 40 minutes on the elliptical, this week I did 70. I took some of my focus off of the scale and stopped letting those numbers decide how good I felt.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #5  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

I have the same issue too. at 5'1 (if I stretch LOL) i also carry weight in odd places. Jeans I have to wear a size bigger because of my stomach. I figure that eventually it will all work out and I will start to see more of a difference. Once I am able to I am going to start adding tummy exercices hopefully that helps.

I actually spent a lot of time in the mirror yesterday and started for the first time to see a difference, sure it is not what I want to see, but I DID see it. And I liked that I could. Just keep at it, it will get there.

Good luck!
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:42 PM   #6  
nearly there

S/C/G: 145/111/95

Height: 5"1"

I'm 115 pounds, wearing tiny sizes and I have that tummy pouch which is why I want to lose more weight. My hubby thinks my pouch is sexy but I don't.

Is it only short girls who have this problem?
Magrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #7  

I doubt it's just a short girl's thing. If you look at Jillian Michaels, as fit as she is, she has the cushy spot on her belly too. My husband says that pooch is what makes a woman's belly sexy.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #8  
nearly there

S/C/G: 145/111/95

Height: 5"1"

But Jillian Michaels is short. She's either 5'1" or 5'2".

My DH says the same thing. But he's not the one who has to live in this body.

Last edited by Magrat; 11-07-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Magrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #9  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

My daughter is TINY. Like 4'10 and 92lbs tiny. She is 19, never had a weight problem since she was born and is extremely fit. (AFROTC, Gymnastics, etc) she has by all reports a "slammin" figure. She. Has a tummy pouch, and if she has spent the weekend sitting on the couch (which she is currently doing) her legs get a little bit "wiggly" I think its just a woman thing. If you have not had kids, but are of child bearing age, or if you have had kids. Provided of course that you are not some 0% bodyfat muscle body builder.

Personally, I think it is part of what makes a woman's body attractive. Gives us some "smoosh" and softness. My hubs to be will ALWAYS say that a girl with a few soft spots and some curves is cuter than one with out. And if it matters, I am the first "big" girl he has been with, he traditionally was attracted to smaller girls (usually Japanese lol)
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote