Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 10-31-2010, 02:54 PM   #1  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

Default Rashes under breasts and stomach

Ugh. I never had this problem 100 lbs ago. I still have a ways to go with weightloss, but I thought I'd put this here since the problems have increased as I've lost weight.

So, while my breasts haven't actually gotten considerably smaller during my weightloss, they've gotten, uh, hangy-er . I honestly think it's because my upper abdomen has shrunk so much that it's not supporting them like it used to (I guess that's a weightloss disadvantage? ). I have very good, supportive bras, but I've started getting rashes under my breasts and sometimes they're very painful. It's made worse when I exercise, and hurts during the actual exercise, which makes it more likely that I'll quit in the middle of a work out. The last time I was at my doctor, she gave my nystatin powder to help because she thought it might be yeast - it doesn't seem to be helping much, other than helping keep the area dry, which a non-prescription powder would do as well.

So, now I'm starting to get some skin over hang at the bottom of my stomach. When it was more full of fat, it didn't hang as much, so I guess it didn't rub as much and I never had issues with rashes there - but as of now, I have one that looks just like the rash under my breasts. I'm not particularly "hangy" there with the skin at this point, but I imagine it will only get worse as I lose the last 40 or so lbs, unless my skin starts shrinking (one can hope for miracles, no?). So, I just don't know what to do. I'm keeping it as clean and dry as I can - but when I exercise, I sweat, and that area seems to collect the sweat. I've started using the nystatin there, too, but it still doesn't seem to help much. So. . .any ideas? At some point in the future after weightloss is done and I know for sure that I'm done with babies, I will probably have a breast reduction (I have enough other problems and enough mass in my breasts that insurance will likely pay for it) - but that's probably at least a year off. What else can I do in the mean time?

Last edited by eclipse; 10-31-2010 at 02:55 PM.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:06 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Try wiping the area with Witch Hazel to freshen it and take away the itch. Some chicks find that diaper rash cream works too.
Hope that helps.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Try using a good deodorant/anti-perspirant under your breasts and your tummy area too, any area where skin rubs against skin. It will help keep you from getting damp around the edges, which can be one of the causes of the rash. Also, your skin can get too dry which will also lead to chapping/rash. The best trick seems to be keeping from getting too sweaty and also from drying your skin out.

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:34 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I posted recently about my experience with diaper rash cream which helped a lot. I highly recommend it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 326/274/190

Make sure you take photos and you and your doctor document the rashes - that can help in getting your insurance to cover plastic surgery.
odonnela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:54 PM   #6  
Beautiful and Merciless

S/C/G: 165/148/125

Height: 5'2"

i throw on some baby powder after i shower. it helped the rashes ,which i had never gotten before i became my heaviest (165). for me it was heat/sweat related.
Misteriosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Under-breast yeast infections are common among larger ladies, I had those too before my reduction. That's why the doctor gave you the Nystatin. Yes! make sure the doctor notes it in your record, because that's something that can count as evidence for the insurance company when you're making the case for them funding your reduction.

Things that can help:
  • keep the area as dry and especially free of sweat as possible; take extra showers or even wipe with washcloths or towelettes
  • wash the area with soap and change into fresh top and bra right after any workout, and when you get home from work
  • cotton bras if possible, and wash bras frequently. Dry them in the sun if you can, to kill the yeast spores and keep them from reinfecting you. (The neighbors will love you.) Also "air-out" at home as much as possible (your significant other will love you).
  • I actually used to tuck tissues and hankies under my breasts to dry under there! I lived in Texas at the time...

If the powder does not start helping within a week or so, you can also try a cream that will stick better; anything for vaginal yeast infections or athlete's foot from over the counter will do (they are also yeast infections). It seems counter-intuitive to use the cream but it holds the medicated ingredients on better, and you can also let it air-dry before you get dressed. Don't use any corn-starch based powders, they feed yeast.

Some people say eating yogurt can also help, that it changes your body chemistry to be less yeast-friendly. I think for me it had more to do with my monthly cycle than diet though.

Last edited by bronzeager; 11-01-2010 at 04:15 AM.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #8  
You'll be given love...

S/C/G: 328/283/140.00

Height: 5'5

Oh, I get these. I put powder or Vaseline under my boobs every morning/night. Stops the rash from forming and if the powder is Goldbond,it should clear it up if its already formed.
Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 255.5/196/158

Height: 5'7"

I have the same problem. I have been on courses and courses of Nystatin. At first it helped but not so much anymore. I ordered an ebook on yeast infections. They have some essential oils they say help. The ones I found that help the most are tea tree oil 3X per day and Garlic Oil 1X per day. The bergamot made me itchier. I'll have to try the witch hazel. good luck.
kittycarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #10  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

S/C/G: 380/190/120

Height: 5'6

don't use powders or creams that will just make them worse use babyoil there after your shower it acts as a barrier from the moisture to your skin and lasts all day be sure to shower everyday and again after your workout or when you sweat put the babyoil on everytime after your shower don't have to put it all over just where you would get rashes and baths really help too. I keep a bottle in the shower and put it on when I'm clean then rinse, the barrier still stays there. babyoil also works better on babies butts for diaper rash than any cream or powder also just incase anyone has babies seeing this lol

Last edited by going2bskinny; 01-26-2011 at 08:43 PM.
going2bskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 175/175/139

Height: 5'5"

I'm taking a nursing assistant class right now, and my teacher is an RN. She said that she puts cornstarch under some patients breasts to help with moisture.

I also would get rashes all over my breasts. They weren't really bad, but got a little itchy. I was told by my doctor to not use soap on the breast itself, but just use water.
lajpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #12  
Long Journey

S/C/G: 350/350/175

Height: 5'10"

I would get the same thing. It would hurt so bad that I could hardly stand it at times. I have tried MULTIPLE things. The only thing that worked for me was Johnson baby powder aloe and cornstarch kind. I love it. I apply it under my breast after I shower. Its the only thing that keeps me dry!
lovegoddess1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 234.5/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

My mom had something that once. It was actually a yeast infection and she had to take some antibiotics.

Last edited by CurryMama; 02-06-2011 at 09:24 PM.
CurryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #14  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

I use vasaline only my skin under my breast on my cleavage and other parts of the body and for me it works great with keeping my skin moist.
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:58 PM   #15  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I get it sometimes as well. I dry the area with my hairdryer after I shower, that way it gets good and dry without all the rubbing. Then I use a veterinary cream for yeast type ear/skin infections in dogs, called oto-soothe. Great stuff! I work for the vet so that's how I know about it. It's pretty greasy, and a little dab will do ya.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote