Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 08-25-2010, 09:01 AM   #1  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Default My "new" bones gross me out

I still haven't gotten used to my new bones sticking out everywhere. Looking in the mirror, I think my collarbone and the slight outline of my hipbones is sexy. I'll even stretch a certain way so I can see my ribs or spine. But when it comes to actually touching them, it just skeeves me out.

Sitting on a hard surface for any period of time hurts my butt bones. I have to sleep with a pillow between my legs so my knees don't knock together. When I lay down and gravity pulls all my "covering" down, I look like a concentration camp prisoner with hip bones and ribs jutting out. If I touch my collarbone or shoulder bones or any of these other never-before-seen bones, I'm just incredibly grossed out by it. I recoil my hands like I just touched a nasty bug or something, lol. I'm so used to these bones being covered up by fat.

Am I ever going to get used to this?
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/128/138

I don't have an answer for you. However, I noticed that knee bone thing on myself last night it while it didn't gross me out, I did think "wow, cool!". lol
amynbebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Hmmm. well, not to be mean or anything but is your goal weight a good weight for you? Or would you do better with a few more pounds on your frame? 5'7" is pretty tall and everybody is a little different with how the weight looks. Just an idea and like I said, you know your body best.

Or it just could be you need to time to get used to the new you. And eventually you'll be ok with it.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:20 AM   #4  
God Will Guide Me!

S/C/G: 272.8/ticker/234

Height: 5'7''

I agree Sarah! I am 5'7'' too and the LEAST I can weigh is 150 anything less I would look sick! When I weighed 185 everyone thought I was mega skinny and I had the bone issue too but not as much. I have a very thick frame so that probably has a lot to do with it.

Megan- I hope you get used to the bones soon! Just think of yourself as an un-stuffed teddy bear, hehehe! BTW Your amazing!!!!
jackiemomto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Yes, you will get used to it. 5'7 + 128 is certainly no concentration camp figure, you are just not used to it. When I was 5'5 and 160ish, I didn't have any bones to see. I was around 125 in maintenance for several years and it was just very normal - your perspective is just a little off from not seeing it for so long.

I still don't see much of it right now at 134lbs which is a huge shock for me (I just had a baby, so my weight gain was quite rapid, I never got time to get used to not seeing "bone")
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #6  
~ Jillian Junkie ~

S/C/G: 220/175ish/165

Height: 5'10

I get a little weirded out when I touch my collarbone, tbh... but at the same time, I also can't STOP touching it because I haven't had one in so long. lol I really do like it... most of the time.

My bicep is another thing that's weird for me. Thanks to the 30DS as well as well as a few other Jillian and Biggest Loser DVDs, I'm getting muscles in my arms like crazy. And every time I go to touch my bicep I get an "ew" moment. Like ... "Ew my arm is hard wtf." I'm used to having it "squish" when I touch it. Haha.

I just hate when I sit down or lie on my side and my butt or hips hurt... lol

But all in all... I'm loving it. I think you will probably get used to having bones stick out eventually. Just remember that it's totally natural, and it means you've succeeded in your weight loss goals.

Last edited by singforthedayx; 08-25-2010 at 10:59 AM.
singforthedayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #7  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Yep, I'm not even to goal yet and find the feel of my bony parts and well-muscled thighs to be quite disconcerting.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:06 PM   #8  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Thanks guys, I knew you'd understand I definitely think that I just need to get used to it. I've never been thin before, so I've never felt these bones.

And I don't think I'm too thin at this weight. I certainly would not want to get much thinner, but I actually still have a decent amount of covering, both pudge and muscle. My ribs aren't visible unless I stretch. I surprised myself by having a small to medium frame. I always thought I was just a "big girl," but I'm actually quite small. If I had a larger frame, then I'd probably be too thin at this weight.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:26 PM   #9  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I doesn't gross me out but it does take some getting used too. The knee thing is a real pain because I love to sleep on my side. I have to be more careful cause if I bump into something it usually hurts more than it used to. But in general I'm happy to see them as long as the look healthy and not anorexic
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:42 PM   #10  

Default Wonder Why --

I loved seeing those bones sticking out myself -- you're looking great. I can't help but wonder why that it seems okay to comment on someone's goal if people think it's too low -- but the whole board would be in an uproar if I told someone their goal weight seemed high -- it didn't seem to be in a mean-spirited way -- but I would have been upset if someone commented on my goal weight being low -- are people just kidding themselves into believing they don't need to lose as much as they really do -- or is "thin" bashing now an acceptable passtime.
Fit2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:51 PM   #11  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

She mentioned being creeped out by her bones, so someone asked if she possibly needed to gain some weight. I don't think it's skinny bashing, I think it's a appropriate suggestion to a problem that seems to relate with low weight.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:38 AM   #12  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

I've never had a problem sitting down,
but now since I've lost weight my
bum starts hurting in school when
I'm sitting down and I just want
to get up and walk around!

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
everybody is a little different with how the weight looks. Just an idea and like I said, you know your body best.

Or it just could be you need to time to get used to the new you. And eventually you'll be ok with it.
It is not skinny bashing. I specifically said everybody is different and it could be a problem of having a unrealistic goal weight since she said she was grossed out by her bones.

If she had not mentioned that I would not have suggested her weight may be too low.

Mckendrik, I think you look amazing and don't look too thin. I'm glad you didn't take offence at my comment.

It is amazing how we can convince ourselves about our builds. I went to a nutirionist a few years ago and she did a complete work up on me and told me that a good goal weight for me was 135-factoring in how much bone and muscle I had. Seriously, I haven't been that weight since high school. I tried to convince her I was big boned and she said, "the facts don't lie, you aren't big boned"

Good luck and keep lots of pillows on the hard chairs.

Last edited by sarahyu; 08-26-2010 at 12:58 PM.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:23 PM   #14  

Default It's from personal experience --

I've just had the experience of just as I start feeling good and looking good and it looks like I'm actually going to succeed people start the 'too thin' crap. And I've seen them to it to others that are successfully losing weight -- I think they look great -- I've even seen somone go so far with the harassment to buy 12 donuts and leave them on this person's desk at work. Luckily, the girl this happened to was confident enough to just see it as jealousy and move on -- but I would see that as 'thin bashing.' Again, just my own personal stumbling block and I didn't mean to offend anyone. I just couldn't help wondering if Megan was feeling grossed out by her bones so to speak because of other people's comments on her being 'too thin."
Fit2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:35 AM   #15  
Nutella Girl

S/C/G: 197 / 135 / 140

Height: 5'5''

I love the bones that stick out. I remember when I was in junior high, I had lost my first big batch of weight- I was leaning against a locker and talking to my friend when I felt this weird pain. I had never felt anything like it, I put my hand next to my hips to see what was poking me and... it was myself
I regained all the weight and now when it's slowly coming off, I welcome the sight of my bones sticking out. Collar bones, hip bones, even the shape of my ribs when I stretch out. I sometimes angle myself so they'll jut out more.
So no I'm not exactly where you are. But I think it's something that will become comfortable to you with time. A friend of mine has this weird thing about wrists- she hates them. She doesn't like people putting their chin on their hands or wringing them because they creep her out a little. Maybe that's what you're experiencing? Everyone has their little quirks
imperialistic is offline   Reply With Quote